GoHunt Mule Deer Podcast

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
I agree. There was a lot of great info. I highly recommend if you’re a mule deer guy.

Ramem7mm

FNG
It was a good podcast and interesting to hear the history on the various data collection over the years with the help of collars etc.

Wow! Within 10 minutes this became one of the best podcasts I've heard. To all the other podcasters out there, diving into the details and data is so worthwhile for listeners.

COelk89

FNG
What a great episode. There was some very interesting data he threw out. We are all unwitting participants in these experiments.....well maybe not the L/E on Ted Turner's ranch....

It is incredible what is available to biologists and game agencies today compared to the past. The technology to track animals and hunter harvest statistics, as well as analyze the data, has increased exponentially. I think it offers a lot to us as hunters to manage expectations with antlers and age classes for different units, ultimately becoming better hunters by hopefully harvesting optimal deer depending on the goals of the unit. There is also a lot to consider when it comes to how we view conventional wisdom in terms of wildlife management. His comments on reducing buck/doe ratios and mature tom's regulating lion populations at least give me some hope of a silver lining for some of the stuff happening here in Colorado with the late buck seasons and lion proposals.

I for one believe we should put more faith in the game biologists and less in the political/economic whims of game and fish commissioners! I am guessing the state board who make decisions on professional engineers in the state are all professional engineers, the one regulating medical doctors are all medical doctors, and the one regulating lawyers are all lawyers...why should wildlife be any different. Most of the biologist working for the state or fed's these days that were hired in the last 10 years have a minimum of 7-8 years of undergraduate and graduate schooling like these other professional industries.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Loved this podcast. Makes me really envious of what Utah is doing! There were a couple of things that caught my interest and made a lot of sense. One being the information that he threw out about coyote hunting. Makes sense that elevation focused coyote hunting during calving periods makes an impact. I’ve always wondered what the few coyotes we pick up in January and February while we’re bored actually does.

I was also surprised by the information on mature toms controlling population.

Need to give it another listen, but this was very informative.

Wapiti23

FNG
This podcast was pure gold. It was entertaining and very informative. I would have to put it at the top of my all time favorite.

Very informative podcast. I've listened to it twice to really let that info sink in. Big Hunt Guys ought to check in with the Ole boy from time to time. I for one wouldn't mind Brock as a repeat guest.