Gold Tip vs Podium Archery FOC Calculator

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone actually tested the numbers from Gold Tip or podium Archery’s foc calculators? I plugged in an arrow build I’m looking into building, and the foc was a 2% difference. I know it’s splitting hairs, and doesn’t make a huge difference, but wondering what the difference between the two would be? I double checked, and all of the numbers are the same.

IMG_7776.pngIMG_7775.png

Last edited:
In my experience, Gold Tip's FOC calculator has always been low compared to other calculators (and compared to actual measured FOC). As another point of comparison, you can estimate FOC using the following formula based on a simplified static balance model:

FOC = [(front end weight) + 0.5 × (shaft gpi) × (carbon-to-carbon shaft length)] ÷ (total arrow weight) – 0.5
Derivation of the formula above:
download.jpeg-2.jpg

OP
George Hamrick

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, Gold Tip's FOC calculator has always been low compared to other calculators (and compared to actual measured FOC). As another point of comparison, you can estimate FOC using the following formula based on a simplified static balance model:

FOC = [(front end weight) + 0.5 × (shaft gpi) × (carbon-to-carbon shaft length)] ÷ (total arrow weight) – 0.5
Derivation of the formula above:
Thank you! I figured you would be one of the first to respond based on your knowledge and stats on other archery posts. 15% vs 13% wasn’t a make or break for me, but more so just curious.

Baller

FNG
Agree that the GT calculator is off as compared to others. In my case about 2.5% low.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I have also found the GT calculator to run low vs. hand calculating FOC. In my experiences, around 1.5% to 2%.