Good cold weather gloves?

Looking for some good cold weather gloves. Will mostly be used while I’m glassing. Willing to pay good money for the right ones. Was looking at the Sitka Coldfront gloves but they don’t seem to get good reviews. Would be great if they don't weigh a lot as I’d like to take them on a backpack hunt if I can. I’m also going to run a lighter weight glove I can use for when I’m hiking. Any recommendations from personal first hand experience would be great. Thanks

Kuiu Superdown Glassing Mitts are my go-to... (now Glommit, I think). Stupid warm, super lightweight and compressible.

I think First Lite has a similar style mitt as well now.

I tried several Kuiu cold weather fingered gloves as well as the Sitka Coldfront glove before settling on the Superdown... I basically realized whether you are rifle or archery hunting, there is no well in hell to accurately shoot either weapon platform without removing your bulky finger glove. So might as well have the warmest, lightest, most compressible and super-easy on and off available. My .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Warmest glove will always be anything in a mitt. Fingered gloves are significantly less warm compared to a mitt. For glassing, get a mitt, and maybe wear a thin wool liner textured finger glove underneath. That way you can quickly drop the mitts and still have a barrier glove on to take a shot with that has a texture finger on it to feel the trigger with.

I hunted this weekend in 44 degrees. Took my Kuiu super down glommits I just got, to try them out. I sat for a long while with nothing covering my hands in the am, for about 90-120 minutes before my fingers started getting cold. I slipped the gloves on and within short time I was toasty. I can only imagine how warm they keep already warm hands, but wanted to test them out and see how well they warmed my hands when stand hunting. Wind was not a factor, it was calm, but easily 44-45 degrees and my hands were feeling it after a while. Sun was not yet shining on my stand so the sun wasn’t a factor either.

These gloves will work well in cold weather I bet.

OP
BeaverHunter
Kuiu Superdown Gloves are my go-to... (now Glommit, I think). Stupid warm, super lightweight and compressible.

I think First Lite has a similar style mitt as well now.

I tried several Kuiu cold weather fingered gloves as well as the Sitka Coldfront glove before settling on the Superdown... I basically realized whether you are rifle or archery hunting, there is no well in hell to accurately shoot either weapon platform without removing your bulky finger glove. So might as well have the warmest, lightest, most compressible and super-easy on and off available. My .02.

Kind of the way I was leaning. A good “liner” type glove underneath a mitten.

Yeah, Mitt + Liner = Hand Love. I really like the Sitka Traverse gloves as a liner... more so than my 210 Merino gloves.

I corrected my original post to call the Superdown Glassing Mitts by their correct name.

Plus the mitts are big enough for REALLY cold days to slide some hand warmers in. Hard to make a good shot when you can’t feel or move your fingers...

The first lite 3 finger gloves are epic...super warm... and I really like wearing just the waterproof shell of the glove when hiking in snow, etc....

*zap*

WKR
Mutant mittens are almost as warm as regular mittens and more functional.....Outdoor Research makes a good on with liners. Really all my best gloves/mitts for real cold are OR other than a few pair of maisleys.

Kostrize

WKR
I’ve used several Kuiu and OR gloves, all have been excellent for their intended purpose. The bulkier cold weather gloves are mostly for utility purposes- moving to/from a glassing location or stalk, not actually shooting. The Kuiu Yukon and Guide are great for that while still having a high degree of dexterity. The Expedition is a massive glove, might as well go to a mitt at that point. OR makes some great shell mitts

Just got the Kuiu Strongfleece gloves and they are excellent liner gloves. The First Lite talus gloves are as well if you prefer wool. The Axis gloves look like they may fit into a hybrid role and excel at both. At least that looks like the intent.

Gonewest

WKR
I love the mitts from Enlighted Equipment. They’re very light and warm. I were a Kuiu peloton glove as a base.

I use the Outdoor Research Mutant Mittens for coyote hunting in ND and MN and so far they have been great. The are warm and you can move your trigger finger in and out of the mitten part. I have shot with them on and if you are paying attention they work ok for that not ideal but ok. If its not to much below 0 I will remove them but so far so good and i burned my hands real bad as a kid so they get cold easy.