Archery Season Mid Weight Tops

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice on a mid to lighter weight top for mountain hunting prominently archery season in Montana. Currently I wear the sitka core lightweight crew or lightweight hoody as my base layer on most hunts. This is great for when I'm hiking or when it's warmer out, but the next layer up in my system is the sitka jetstream jacket which works great while standing still but within 5 minutes of hiking I'll be profusely sweating. I naturally sweat a lot getting warm easily but on cold mornings below 40 getting started in just a lightweight crew isn't for me. Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be a good middle ground that'll keep a little bit of the chill off but light enough to keep me from starting a hard sweat while hiking? A few options I've looked at is the sitka heavyweight hoody and the kuiu guide all season jacket with no hood. I'm not a brand loyalist just looking for good gear, any recommendations would be appreciated!

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I'm bringing a kuiu peloton 97 as my mid layer this coming season and then bringing a breathable wind jacket. This combo with a good base layer is comfortable for me in a wide temp range. I believe these weighed together is around 10 oz which is half the weight of any shoftshell jacket.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Where ypu will run into problems is when it is windy, havi g something to cut the wind and still keep some breathability.
Couple thoughts:
Peloton 240 zip jacket: solid outer you dont need to really protect which cuts wind well, but no hood and not as breathable.
Sitka ambient: outer will cut about 10-12mph winds but it isnt as durable in thick stuff, but breathable and gives decent static insulation as well.
Stone glacier cirque light jacket: dont have it but this may be what you are looking for. Solid outer which will cut wind and give some breathable help in cooler weather.

The kicker to all this is the noise level for bow hunting. Obviously a grid fleece will be the most quiet but offer least wind resistance and warmth, and jackets with best wind resistance will be louder .

I highly suggest re-reading the mid layer shootout by @mtwarden and seeing his comments in that regarding several options

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Cheap lightweight fleece........like thrift store cheap. I'll be sweating like crazy on hikes in even if it's below freezing and all I have on up top is my lightweight merino base layer. I have to remove my hat for hiking in because it will be drenched in sweat. But I would imagine even a super lightweight fleece would help you out.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Peloton 97 for me. They don’t block wind but my base is generic sun hoodie that cuts enough wind until you need an actual shell layer. Those two are interchangeable on which layer I wear them.

Lots of factors come in to play with sweating but how close fitting is your jet stream? Even with the pits open a close fit won’t allow for much evaporation. The guide jacket would be a noticeable increase of comfort since it doesn’t have a wind stopping layer or tight weave. Personally I’d go with the 240 to split the difference while being much more comfortable as it wears like a shirt and not a stiff softshell.

Tick

WKR
I'm bringing a kuiu peloton 97 as my mid layer this coming season and then bringing a breathable wind jacket. This combo with a good base layer is comfortable for me in a wide temp range. I believe these weighed together is around 10 oz which is half the weight of any shoftshell jacket.
A vest has been ok for me but I'm going to give this combo a try this season. A 200 weight fleece midlayer is too warm for me moving in temps above freezing.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
A vest has been ok for me but I'm going to give this combo a try this season. A 200 weight fleece midlayer is too warm for me moving in temps above freezing.
Yeah, I normally bring a grid fleece but would get too hot so switching to this combo. We'll see how it works. I'm bringing a kenai vest that I'll leave in the truck but grab if the temps turn cold.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Maybe the Sitka mountain evo jacket? I ordered one to try out for this exact scenario since I typically hike in a core lightweight or something similar.

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Peloton 97 for me. They don’t block wind but my base is generic sun hoodie that cuts enough wind until you need an actual shell layer. Those two are interchangeable on which layer I wear them.

Lots of factors come in to play with sweating but how close fitting is your jet stream? Even with the pits open a close fit won’t allow for much evaporation. The guide jacket would be a noticeable increase of comfort since it doesn’t have a wind stopping layer or tight weave. Personally I’d go with the 240 to split the difference while being much more comfortable as it wears like a shirt and not a stiff softshell.
That's the problem with the sitka jetstream for me, my shoulders are extremely broad (wrestled heavyweight in college and did a lot of lifting) so the 2XL is a snug fit and they don't make that jacket any bigger. I ordered the guide all season in a 3XL and the peloton 97 and going to see how I like em. Frustrating trying to buy expensive mountain gear when you have a regular 36inch waist and a 55 inch chest haha.

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe the Sitka mountain evo jacket? I ordered one to try out for this exact scenario since I typically hike in a core lightweight or something similar.
I'll have to give it a look! Would be nice if Sitka made more of their tops/jackets without hoods. You put on a base layer mid, layer, and jacket and they all have a hood lol

Dennis

WKR
I think to your Sitka base layers I would add a Kuiu 97 weight Peloton or something similar in Sitka line. Then your Jet Stream jacket would be fine for when you stop and it is windy. I find the Sitka Jet Stream jacket similar in weight to the Kuiu Guide Jacket which seem to heavy for me in early archery hunts.

My system for early archery elk hunts,
Kuiu 125 wool crew top
Kuiu 97 hooded peloton top
Kuiu Kenia vest -very quiet
Kuiu 240 Peloton hooded jacket

Lastly I'll take a Kuiu Kenia hooded jacket as my puffy if weather gets really cold or for long sits in the shade.