Good podcast on Wounding Loss

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, one of our fellow roksliders @406life (Everett Headley) started the Venery and Veritas podcast.

I've caught parts of a few episodes, and seems like some good and even fresh topics

This one on wounding loss was good with a very knowledgable guest.

surprising number>
-Archery vs rifle was closer than what I'd ever believe (in at least their one study), about 50/50 of hunting loss

Way more in the podcast than this including wolf discussion in the first 30 minutes or so, then the wounding loss stuff

Check it out:

Woah woah woah…

We know everyone who ever posts on the internet finds every almost non existent blood trail, tracks for weeks across multiple mountains, and in the rare instances of still not recovering their animal always notches their $1200 non resident tag and ends their two week long hunt early.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Woah woah woah…

We know everyone who ever posts on the internet finds every almost non existent blood trail, tracks for weeks across multiple mountains, and in the rare instances of still not recovering their animal always notches their $1200 non resident tag and ends their two week long hunt early.
:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO:

they actually touch on that subject

Hey, one of our fellow roksliders @406life (Everett Headley) started the Venery and Veritas podcast.

I've caught parts of a few episodes, and seems like some good and even fresh topics

This one on wounding loss was good with a very knowledgable guest.

surprising number>
-Archery vs rifle was closer than what I'd ever believe (in at least their one study), about 50/50 of hunting loss

Way more in the podcast than this including wolf discussion in the first 30 minutes or so, then the wounding loss stuff

Check it out:

thanks, just downloaded a couple of theirs including that one... good timing too, because i have a 6hr drive in the morning

Rob5589

WKR
Woah woah woah…

Or the BOAL is stolen by a WKR....

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the plug @robby denning
This is an issue that when I first talked with Craig about 4 years ago floored me. The number of elk that could be on the landscape if recovery and accuracy increased is pretty amazing.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This is an issue that when I first talked with Craig about 4 years ago floored me. The number of elk that could be on the landscape if recovery and accuracy increased is pretty amazing.

Sure thing. Good subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We know everyone who ever posts on the internet finds every almost non existent blood trail
I'm just amazed that blood trails can vary so much. I've seen high top 1/3 hits that drop a lot of blood and low 1/3 hits that drop very little. I've had broadside passthroughs in the crease that dropped little, and hard quartering away hits that didn't even make two holes drop buckets of blood......all of these archery shots.

I'm just amazed that blood trails can vary so much. I've seen high top 1/3 hits that drop a lot of blood and low 1/3 hits that drop very little. I've had broadside passthroughs in the crease that dropped little, and hard quartering away hits that didn't even make two holes drop buckets of blood......all of these archery shots.
Indeed… I’ve had solid hits (seen through the spotter) roll an elk down the mountain and find absolutely nothing. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes.

Bottom like hunting is a very dynamic situation and weird shit happens sometimes. Nobody wants to lose an animal, and when it does happen, there is no worse feeling. Gotta just learn from it and try to figure out what (if anything ) you can do different.

Last edited:
Let us know what you think after listening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was good, as well as the episode on lead free ammo… well educated thought provoking conversations, I’ll keep listening to that podcast, I do a lot of driving and listen to a lot of podcasts to pass time

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It was good, as well as the episode on lead free ammo… well educated thought provoking conversations, I’ll keep listening to that podcast, I do a lot of driving and listen to a lot of podcasts to pass time
Thanks for the feedback, yeah I forgot to mention the lead free discussion that was in there.

Yeah once we get a little experience, we see different scenarios play out thats for sure.

Thanks for the feedback, yeah I forgot to mention the lead free discussion that was in there.
yeah, i just finished that one and it was excellent... most compelling "lead free" discussion i have heard, and made me feel a bit guilty. i like going over east and shooting sage rats... tons of people do, and you'll see people shooting about every day anywhere that has a pivot over there... often lots of people shooting. i like the 17hmr for being efficient, most bullets equal a dead sage rat, and the absolute damage those little bullets do is unreal, and that's due to their aggressive fragmentation... drive by that pivot in the evening where you killed 200 rats in that morning and there are all kinds of birds of prey out there being the cleanup crew... lots of bald and golden eagles, as well as a few hawk species... now i'm going to see what my options are for my 17, i don't know there are mono options, but i'll look.

though no near as impressive, and don't have the reach, i may build a 22lr for rat shooting, a 22lr will not fragment like a 17hmr, and will always pass through, so they would leave a lot less lead in the sage rat... i would like to hear from a regional biologist in eastern oregon to hear their thoughts, if there is a lot of raptor mortality from spring rat shooting, they would know... if it is an issue, and they do know, why is nothing said to the hunters?

it was a really good podcast, that ranch they are associated with gives them a unique perspective, i'm looking forward to listening to more, pretty cool topics, and they are discussing the topics with a very good understanding most of us don't have access to

def90

WKR

I question that, the state biologists give out tags based on what are somewhat known success rates and current herd sizes and herd size objectives. Yeah, I'm sure a ton of elk are lost to bad shot placement and hunter follow through but regardless of that fact the state has decided how many elk they want to see on a particular piece of real estate. If numbers are low they reduce tags if they are high they increase tags. In the end one way or another we would end up seeing the same number of elk on the landscape whatever the cause.

I can only think of two elk I hit and didn't get. Both quit bleeding and got into a herd I couldn't sort them out of.

I remember cutting one blood trail but people were already following it. Now archery is a different issue. I have found 8 or 10 dead elk that nobody found during archery season. During rifle season we have killed a young cow and a nice 6 pt that had muzzy broadheads stick in the spine.

Back in the 70s I remember a young bull with an arrow stuck through his upper neck. We called them pin cushions.

I just guess it's just hard to track wounded elk in September.

I have nothing against bow hunting. I did a lot of it until my shoulders got so bad that I could no longer participate.

Marble

WKR
I'm about half way through the podcast. I like it so far.

If I understand what the guy is saying, he says that half of the mortalities of the collared elk were from hunters that did not find the elk they shot. I haven't listened to the entire episode yet keep in mind.

After hearing this, I was thinking of reasons why this would happen. How many guys in the woods would freak out if they walked up on their animal and it had on a radio collar?

I myself would not. But I'm sure there are guys that would just leave an animal there in fear they had done something wrong.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk