Good Read

WRM

WKR
The Comfort Crisis by Michael Easter.

I know there are couple of references on RS to podcasts, and I randomly see it referenced in other material I get. Call me crazy, but I still like to pick up a book on occasion. This, to me, was a pretty good one.

Yes, I hate to run. No, I don't like going to a gym. Put some weight on my back and walk around? Sign me up. Turns out there is quite a bit of support (actually an overwhelming amount) for this being the ultimate workout and, perhaps, the only one you really need. You won't get swoll, but huge muscles are just more weight to carry around, so why would you want to? More important, you aren't too likely to hurt yourself in the "rucking" process. My idiot brother in law just found out he fractured his tibia jogging. Granted, he went from couch surfing to being a "runner" overnight, but he is built like an Ethiopian marathoner. You'd never think he could physically break his actual "chassis" jogging. He's got six weeks minimum immobilized in a hip to calf support brace with no load bearing. Imagine that result if you were going to get in "one last run" before leaving for that hunt of a lifetime! No bueno!! That made me think about posting this, along with the fact I got one of those random emails today referencing the book. Seemed like a sign.

Personally, I like the writing style employed by the author, along with the research based backup. May not be for all, but I think many would find it informative. Easy to finish in a couple of sittings if you have the time. Read it or don't--makes no difference to me.

SWOHTR

WKR
It’s on my list, it was discussed in a recent podcast and caught my attention. Thanks for the recommendation.

That is why I don't run....hate running but love rucking and my body reacts well to it from a workout standpoint.

OP
W

WRM

WKR
Running sux. Hated it since I was a kid. Seems like runners are always nursing some injury or another. The book notes that, historically, running was reserved nearly exclusively for hunting--when you ran down game that often just dropped dead from overheating after miles of running or you killed an exhausted opponent. Then, we carried it--which is what our bodies actually are good at.

OP
W

WRM

WKR
When the Kneebone is no longer connected

Attachments

• IMG_6417.jpg
    IMG_6417.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 55

rob86jeep

WKR
From everything I've heard/researched, rucking is really hard on your body...

Running long distance is as well, but I don't think rucking is considered a safe alternative.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Find what you enjoy and do that. Reason being you’ll continue to do it. Wish I enjoyed swimming or yoga because that’s best for my body. But I don‘t so after a few weeks I stop.

I love running & banging weights in the gym. Running is a mental data dump after a long day, frees my mind.

If you enjoy rucking then that is what you should do, because you enjoy it.

Lol i love the running sucks comments. Its true it is for the few.

ive been a runner all my life and only once had an injury but it was only a strain. Where people mess up is by ‘going from couch as a 40 year old drinker or 30 year old video gamer, to trying to sprint like Usain Bolt, and not doing strength training in between. Good shoes also helps.

I run 3-5 miles every other day (depends on how much time i have). And do core exercises in between. Been doing it for years and again no injuries.

I will agree with the author about you dont need to be jacked like Rogan or run for days like Hanes. Core strength and legs and lungs conditioning are sound. Its been shown many times just walking a lot is beneficial.

Since im active though, i need more endurance and strength than just walking.

Phaseolus

WKR
I use the Mtn Bike as my primary exercise. Hiking with a pack gets used before seasons.

rob86jeep

WKR
The Comfort Crisis by Michael Easter.

I know there are couple of references on RS to podcasts, and I randomly see it referenced in other material I get. Call me crazy, but I still like to pick up a book on occasion. This, to me, was a pretty good one.

Yes, I hate to run. No, I don't like going to a gym. Put some weight on my back and walk around? Sign me up. Turns out there is quite a bit of support (actually an overwhelming amount) for this being the ultimate workout and, perhaps, the only one you really need. You won't get swoll, but huge muscles are just more weight to carry around, so why would you want to? More important, you aren't too likely to hurt yourself in the "rucking" process. My idiot brother in law just found out he fractured his tibia jogging. Granted, he went from couch surfing to being a "runner" overnight, but he is built like an Ethiopian marathoner. You'd never think he could physically break his actual "chassis" jogging. He's got six weeks minimum immobilized in a hip to calf support brace with no load bearing. Imagine that result if you were going to get in "one last run" before leaving for that hunt of a lifetime! No bueno!! That made me think about posting this, along with the fact I got one of those random emails today referencing the book. Seemed like a sign.

Personally, I like the writing style employed by the author, along with the research based backup. May not be for all, but I think many would find it informative. Easy to finish in a couple of sittings if you have the time. Read it or don't--makes no difference to me.
Running is good; rucking is good; weight training is good; etc. Everything is good in moderation. If you abuse anything (alcohol, running, other drugs, diet, etc.), it is bad for your body. You need to have healthy exercise and a healthy diet in your life or you're cutting yourself short.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
I think for us hunters cardio fitness and strength are both important. I don't have time or think it's the best use of my time to go walk with a 100lb pack on after work. I do mid paced runs 6:30min/mi for 5miles and can bench and squat more than my body weight for 8reps. Going to keep that up as long as possible. Heavy dead lift, squat and heavy lifting in general doesn't serve any purpose in a hunters world. Better than sitting on the couch though!

I think an overlooked aspect to health fitness is body mobility. Strength through just lifting weights, and too much cardio are tough on the body, so throwing in resistance training, stretching, and exercises that help improve posture and mobility will help create a better balance like some of the others have mentioned above. So I agree, rucking as part of your exercise is a good option, it adds a unique activity and utilizes different part of our body. I like doing all three: rucking, lifting, and running/biking (biking more so).