Good reason for a Chronograph

tdhanses

WKR
If you had zero data points it would be hard to isolate between these 3 different loads, one might even pick the worst of the 3, also the differences just a primer change makes. When I was at the range the other day a guy was doing load development purely on group size, I think he is now planning to invest in a chronograph. You really can’t use 100 yard groups as an indicator on a good load.

Just thought I’d throw this out there for those on the fence or those just using groups as an indicator when testing loads or even factory ammo.

D05EA5A4-331E-436C-8C60-B12F354B5F6A.jpeg

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
Clearly you can shoot....... With those groups, there's no doubt you're seeing the load & rifle performance, not your own. Question - what is your setup that yields such consistent shooting? I spent Friday shooting at 100 yards on a table, off bags, and learned nothing about my loads. Gotta get better.

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
And, to your point, ES and SD definitely gives you basis for decision that group size would not.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Practice and then more practice. I shoot off my bipod and a rear bag. I’m not an expert or good shooter in my view but I shoot a ton. I don’t shoot this rifle a ton but I shoot the crap out of my 22 and 6.5cm. This is a new barrel I’m breaking in and getting a load developed for but of the above only one is a good load for shooting past 100 yards in my view.

Also I start out my development not even caring about group size, I purely go off data then I’ll shoot groups once I’ve isolated my best load. For this test I had already isolated the one load, so then I added a different primer to see the difference for better or worse.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Practice and then more practice. I shoot off my bipod and a rear bag. I’m not an expert or good shooter in my view but I shoot a ton. I don’t shoot this rifle a ton but I shoot the crap out of my 22 and 6.5cm. This is a new barrel I’m breaking in and getting a load developed for but of the above only one is a good load for shooting past 100 yards in my view.

Also I start out my development not even caring about group size, I purely go off data then I’ll shoot groups once I’ve isolated my best load. For this test I had already isolated the one load, so then I added a different primer to see the difference for better or worse.
+1
a.jpg