GPS Collar/Containment system for dogs

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Found a couple similar threads, but my situation is a little different. This question is spurred on by 2 of my 3 dogs running away the other day and being gone for 24 hours and outside overnight in 20 degree weather. Thankfully they decided to come home the next morning, but they were about 30 minutes apart.

One dog (3 yr old English Pointer) is the instigator and the other one (1 yr old Dalmatian) just follows. Both dogs get regular exercise in the form of hikes or runs with me, but the pointer just has a drive like I've never seen before He will be outside all day looking for birds, rabbits, etc. if you let him.

Both dogs have Dogtra ecollars on and are very good at returning when toned. I rarely give them static stimulation unless they are on a deer. I also have a GPS perimeter collar on the pointer. It's not a very expensive one (I think $100 from Chewy) and doesn't seem to be reliable. He was wearing it when they ran off.

Is there a best of both worlds collar that can provide GPS tracking, contain dogs in an area, and act as an e-collar?

Part of me is tempted to put in the tried and true underground fence to keep them inside our 4 acres and then just have the e-collar when we are out on hikes/runs on public land; however, the other part of me would really like the GPS capability if they run off on public land. I live in northcentral PA. The public land around here has a lot of mountains and cell service is never a guarantee.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
After a lot of research, I purchased and installed a Sport Dog underground system on 1 acre. The collar allows for home and/or remote setting with a controller so you can also use it on walks. We do a lot of hiking with our dog. After 2 weeks of training she has not crossed the line in 3 years and the system is still working great. We can forget to put the collar on and she still will not cross. She will watch a deer, cat or squirrel on the other side but will not cross. When on hikes she knows what the tone means (same tone when she gets close to the border in the yard) and is now off leash 100% of the time with no concerns. It has worked great for our dog (springer spaniel).

+1 for the sport dog system. I made a loop around approx 10 acres for my GSP & it was fantastic for containment. Be sure to upgrade to a min 14 ga wire (order a roll from an electrical supply place) for more durability & longevity)

Wellsdw

WKR
I too am really intrigued by the gps containment. I’ve come to the conclusion that the technology may not quite be there yet affordably. People either live or hate the halos. And Facebook is loaded with them. Spot on seems much better but in double the money. Supposedly the gen 2-3 are much better than gen 1 halos. Also battery life is an issue with both.

Madstop14

FNG
We did a bunch of research after one of our puppies took off while we were hiking in some remote state forest. We ended up adding a Whistle to each dog. Its a small square that attaches to their collar and costs us 7 bucks a month. You use an app on your phone and it has levels of tracking. For instance that highest level (when they get on to something), sends a location every ten seconds and draws a line between points to show their trail. Works well here in the east (Adirondacks).

Everyone’s experience will vary, I’ll share mine with various containment systems. Around a year of age my chocolate lab decided it was time to wander. I tried a wireless fence system with the little flags for visual, no luck. I penned him up until I could get the “stubborn dog” underground installed. I threw out the wire that comes with the kit and installed around 900’ of #14 gauge stranded copper. I built a nice area for him. I worked with him showing him his boundary. He eventually figured out it only hurt when he ran through it. So gone he would be. Then he would sit on the outside of the perimeter and bark wanting to be let back in. I upgraded pins on the collar, shaved hair where it makes contact…no luck. Unfortunately back to the pen he went. You know what fixed it? Training for him and I. Once I devoted the time to him to work with him and show him what expectations were, he became a good dog. Another thing that took place was he outgrew some of the puppy in him. I will say labs are some of the more stubborn dogs I’ve worked with. I haven’t used any of the newer systems that are gps. They look nice on paper.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
I too am really intrigued by the gps containment. I’ve come to the conclusion that the technology may not quite be there yet affordably. People either live or hate the halos. And Facebook is loaded with them. Spot on seems much better but in double the money. Supposedly the gen 2-3 are much better than gen 1 halos. Also battery life is an issue with both.
I've been pretty impressed in the features the Halo has to offer so far. I have the Gen 3 and only about a months use, but does everything( and then some) that its needed to do. I'll probably still use the Garmin Alpha for hunting, but the Halo has been great for everyday use. Battery life is still an issue though. Needs to be charged nightly.

OP
PSDBowhunter

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like the best of both worlds is to have a standalone GPS system when out in the woods and a separate system for containment around the house.

I was hoping there was more of a do it all system for house and field, but there's give and take with each one.

LostArra

WKR
Everyone’s experience will vary, I’ll share mine with various containment systems. Around a year of age my chocolate lab decided it was time to wander. I tried a wireless fence system with the little flags for visual, no luck. I penned him up until I could get the “stubborn dog” underground installed. I threw out the wire that comes with the kit and installed around 900’ of #14 gauge stranded copper. I built a nice area for him. I worked with him showing him his boundary. He eventually figured out it only hurt when he ran through it. So gone he would be. Then he would sit on the outside of the perimeter and bark wanting to be let back in. I upgraded pins on the collar, shaved hair where it makes contact…no luck. Unfortunately back to the pen he went. You know what fixed it? Training for him and I. Once I devoted the time to him to work with him and show him what expectations were, he became a good dog. Another thing that took place was he outgrew some of the puppy in him. I will say labs are some of the more stubborn dogs I’ve worked with. I haven’t used any of the newer systems that are gps. They look nice on paper.

Great post.
Some dogs are easy. One zap/tone and they stay.
Some dogs need a little more reinforcement.
Some dogs are going to run unless you put in some serious time with real training and not count on an electric gadget.

I've had all three types of dogs and realize I'm not a good dog trainer for the runners. Scent hounds and rescued strays are the worst. My Anatolian has been simple. He does not leave the property. He guards our 20 acres from coyotes but does not run after turkeys or deer. It seems like he thinks the deer are his goat herd.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like the best of both worlds is to have a standalone GPS system when out in the woods and a separate system for containment around the house.

I was hoping there was more of a do it all system for house and field, but there's give and take with each one.
We use the SportDog underground fence. Had it for 4 years, successfully using it on dog #3. Upgraded to a 14ga wire after fixing breaks caused by frostheaves 2 years in a row.
Yellow dog has the original "fence only" collar, with a different e-collar we use in the field. New black dog has a "combo" collar, it works with the underground fence, & I can also correct him while training or out & about. Works slick as snot, & we've got a total of about $700 into it total for collars, reciever, hand held remote, & wire upgrade.
We do watch closely the first few times the dogs are introduced to the fence. We give them a voice command & extra zap a few times so they're clear that coming towards the house brings relief (from the noise or discomfort). Works for us, anyways.

TBarron

WKR
Been pretty happy with the halos and have had them for over a year now. Thing I like is that I can use it both at home and then when I want to go out to the ranch. If I want to run into town and don’t want to kennel them you can just draw a quick geofence on maps with their app. Only issues I’ve had is that my labradoodle stays in the pond all the time and the collar was wet a lot and quit charging. They’ve replaced twice no questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk