GPS suggestions, please

Suggestions, please.
Please include
  • Rough price
  • Positives
  • Negatives (if any)
  • Features

Mods: if this type of thread is not allowed, I apologize and ask that you please delete. Thanks

DanimalW

WKR
Yep, phone actually works better than any gps I’ve used. More intuitive and faster processing. Plus you have the satellite sos feature if you have a new iPhone.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I must be doing something wrong or I get the short end of the stick with phones.
Mine do not do well. As soon as I get to low or no service areas, I may as well be carrying a brick.
I’m unable to get Onx or any apps to load and battery starts dieing immediately

Always been served well by Garmin model 62

DanimalW

WKR
I must be doing something wrong or I get the short end of the stick with phones.
Mine do not do well. As soon as I get to low or no service areas, I may as well be carrying a brick.

You have to download the map areas for offline use for areas with no service. Then run your phone in airplane mode so the battery doesn’t die. Works best to download the map areas when you’re connected to Wi-Fi

BLJ

WKR

I’m going to have to go with @DuckDogDr on this one. Maybe not so much in a hunting situation, but for traveling, I have never had luck with my phone in areas of little or no service.

I’ll say that I’ve had good luck with Garmin units in the past.

Rich M

WKR
I have a Garmin GPS I hang around my neck. About $300.

It takes me back to points I put in it. Where the fish and deer are. Deer is easier cause I typically can walk in there in the dark without help. Fish are harder cause ocean out of sight of land...

I’m going to have to go with @DuckDogDr on this one. Maybe not so much in a hunting situation, but for traveling, I have never had luck with my phone in areas of little or no service.

I’ll say that I’ve had good luck with Garmin units in the past.

I have had the opposite experience while traveling.
I open google maps while I have signal. As long as the app is running I can use it wether I have signal or not.

I have used GAIA on my phone at 45,000’ and doing 500 + mph on private jets. It was still able to track my heading, speed and altitude.

tracker12

WKR
I use my phone but always have a GPS that I set for camp/truck before I head into the mnts. I always have a backup. I have lost my phone twice over the years.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phone user myself but maybe the newer standalone gps bring something to the table?