Grand Canyon Backpack Trip

Ratbeetle

WKR
I know it's not hunting related, but I just got back from a 3 day backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon with my family and thought I'd share.

Even though everyone thought we were crazy, we packed our toddler down to the river and back. Spent two nights at Hermit Rapids and had the trip of a lifetime. So proud of my wife for hauling our little girl down and back, and super proud of our girl for being awesome on the trip. Not even three yet and she was a total trooper. I know she likely won't remember a thing, but hopefully it will at least have some influence on her. It was certainly great bonding for the family pushing through over 18 miles of hiking heavy packs with 9000' of elevation change and enduring some brutal winds on the way out.

I've spent the day shaking sand out of everything and wishing I was still swimming in the Colorado.

DSC_0054 (3).jpg

Last edited:
OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
Ha. Awesome. I've never been in August but I can imagine some spots that would be brutal in the heat of the day.

Have you hiked to the river before?

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I never have, I have been to both rims, this will be my first time below the rim. We are hikers and hike outside in the Texas heat and humidity.

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
I never have, I have been to both rims, this will be my first time below the rim. We are hikers and hike outside in the Texas heat and humidity.

You'll have a blast. I'm not one to give much unsolicited advice, but if you're hiking the hermit trail and have any questions feel free to PM me.

I've done this trip twice now and feel like I have a pretty good handle on the trail.

I’ve backpacked the GC twice. First time was on the more primitive New Hance Trail. Second time was on the Bright Angel. We went from South Rim to North Rim and back to the South Rim. Haven’t been back since 1992.

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
I’ve backpacked the GC twice. First time was on the more primitive New Hance Trail. Second time was on the Bright Angel. We went from South Rim to North Rim and back to the South Rim. Haven’t been back since 1992.

It's a pretty spectacular place. We've done the Hermit trail twice and did a portion of the Bright Angel trail after a trip to Havasupai once.

When I did the New Hance trail it was considered primitive and rated for experienced hikers which most of us were. Some places the trail had sloughed off into the canyon so we had to jump over the gap. The trail would also disappear. We had to make our own way until we could find the trail markers again. There wasn’t very many options back then either for freeze dried food so we packed heavy MRE’s. A few places it got down right scary but we all survived! Bright Angel was much easier and we got to spend a full week down in the Canyon.

That is awesome. I totally understand the sand component! I was so fortunate to go on a self guided 16 day trip with friends a few years back. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my 54 years. When it comes up I always tell people to take the trip because they will not regret it. If you get the chance to be in charge of the groover I highly recommend it!! DSCN0173.JPG

That is awesome! I have a permit for August to do the same. Good stuff
I did hermits rest a few years back in May. On the hike out, be rolling early enough to get to the top by 9 or 10. Two in our group overheated and so I ended up having to leapfrog them, ditch my gear and then carry water down to them and hustle their gear up. Its beautiful down there.

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I did hermits rest a few years back in May. On the hike out, be rolling early enough to get to the top by 9 or 10. Two in our group overheated and so I ended up having to leapfrog them, ditch my gear and then carry water down to them and hustle their gear up. Its beautiful down there.
We are going to do the corridor. I want to be on the first shuttle and be at the river by 10, the following day be on the trail before 0600 and the same the last day. I am hoping for some monsoons and cloud cover. I did a few years in AZ and I remember August not being as hot, but it has been many years

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Watching....

This would be a great trip for my fam.

Do you have a link (or other info) to get me started on how to schedule a trip like this?

Thanks,

Eddie

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
Watching....

This would be a great trip for my fam.

Do you have a link (or other info) to get me started on how to schedule a trip like this?

Thanks,

Eddie

I'd start here.

If you've never hiked the canyon before, I'd suggest sticking with the corridor trails. That's not to say you can't do a backcountry trip, my first trip out there was backcountry.

Just be honest about your capabilities; the heat, lack of water and steep trail can get you into trouble quick. I don't imagine helicopter evac from the river is cheap!

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
That is awesome. I totally understand the sand component! I was so fortunate to go on a self guided 16 day trip with friends a few years back. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my 54 years. When it comes up I always tell people to take the trip because they will not regret it. If you get the chance to be in charge of the groover I highly recommend it!! View attachment 294224

A river trip is defintely on the radar when our daughter gets older.

Kilboars

WKR
Bucket list of mine as well.

I was there last week and flying out of Tucson tomorrow. Beautiful country.
a74458adeae6bf784fc52bc0efecab02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk