Grey Market Optics from eBay

I just ordered some Swarovski NL Pure 8x42s for a couple hundred bucks cheaper than authorized retailer price. The seller imports them and sells them in US outside authorized dealer channels thus why I was able to get a lower rate. I called Swarovski North America and was told they won’t extend a lifetime warranty but willing to do 5 years.

Anyone else order grey market optics on Amazon or eBay? There’s an inherent risk with warranty but money to be saved.

If I'm to poor to buy new from an authorized dealer, I buy a demo from an authorized dealer. If I'm to poor to buy a demo from an authorized dealer I buy used from the various forums. I've never bought anything on Ebay in my life and likely never will.

I bought my Sawro EL binos on eBay from a pawn shop in CA. Prior to purchasing, I got the serial number from the seller and contacted Swaro customer service, who confirmed that all was good.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When you get your binos, call Swaro and verify the serial number. No way in hell I'd buy alpha glass from an unauthorized retailer. Calling @gr8fuldoug has always been worthwhile for me. Good luck.
Always pleased to assist the members here. You don't have to purchase from us to enlist our assistance. We are a SUPPORTING Vendor here. Here to support you

It’s kind of bullshit that they won’t honor their warranty because of where it was purchased. As long as they’re authentic Swarovski binos it shouldn’t matter and they should stand behind their product.

Between this and their position on outdoorsman’s studs on the NL’s I have most likely bought my last Swaros as it looks to me like they’ll use any reason to not honor the warranty.

It’s kind of bullshit that they won’t honor their warranty because of where it was purchased. As long as they’re authentic Swarovski binos it shouldn’t matter and they should stand behind their product.

Between this and their position on outdoorsman’s studs on the NL’s I have most likely bought my last Swaros as it looks to me like they’ll use any reason to not honor the warranty.

If it's "gray market", it means that they were purchased outside of North America, and then imported by someone who is not an authorized dealer. (I'm sure that authorized dealers love this)

Swaro's warranty in the US is limited lifetime. Their international warranty is 5 years parts and labor + 5 years parts, so they're literally honoring the warranty sold with the binoculars.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin

As someone who has bought a lot of used and new Swarovski and sent numerous things in for repair or cleaning I can honestly say they're fantastic to work with. Never once have they tried to get out of anything and most the time when I expect to get charged for a repair they do it for free. Some of these repairs are on 20+ year old optics.
They have contracts with dealers and people are working around that. They're still honoring the stated warranty that applies to the product. What you get for the extra American price is that extended warranty. Same with the nl pure. it wasn't designed to be mounted that way. You wouldn't complain to Toyota because you broke a passenger car pulling a trailer?

OP
General RE LEE

Every manufacturer either won’t service or greatly reduces service for grey market items. It’s how manufacturers protect their authorized dealers. It’s not a Swarovski thing. Nikon won’t touch grey market items even if you offered to pay for repairs. The fact Swarovski offers 5 years warranty is pretty good.

JGRaider

WKR
There's a reason Swarovski has been, and is, kickingassss in the alpha/upper end optics segment of the industry. No other alpha can match their service by a long shot (not even in the same stratosphere), and their products really have no peer in their respective price point. Resale? Swarovski kicks assss there as well. There's really no good reason not to by one (authorized USA dealers) if you've got the $$$.

If I'm to poor to buy new from an authorized dealer, I buy a demo from an authorized dealer. If I'm to poor to buy a demo from an authorized dealer I buy used from the various forums. I've never bought anything on Ebay in my life and likely never will.
I use ebay on a regular basis. Often, when you buy from ebay, you are buying from a small brick and mortar store. I like ebay's search and filter system much better than Amazons. They are also great for odds and ends. Yesterday I needed a white paint pen. I could have driven all over looking for one. Why do that when I can find it and pay for it on ebay in less than 1 minute?

I needed a new holster last week. I did drive around locally trying to find one to no avail. Found it and bought it on ebay in less than 1 minute. I could have searched who knows how many online vendors to find it, then I'd have to provide all of my personal info, card info etc. All of that stays in ebay's system. Then there's a matter of checking the "no, I don't want your spam emails 2 times a day" box, only to get spam emails 2 times a day and an unsubscribe system that doesn't work. Adorama and Rogers Sporting Goods, I am looking at you. When you get into some of their systems, after you unsubscribe, when you visit their site again, it reactivates the spam email.

Ebay makes life so much easier.

TaperPin

WKR
I’ve ordered a few B&L spotting scopes, a Nikon camera body and two automotive paint guns directly from Japan off of eBay and so far no complaints, but warrantee in the US is probably not usable.

I did learn something about used optics from humid areas like Japan - apparently fungus growth on glass lenses can permanently etch the coatings and glass. I haven’t had an issue, but had no idea that’s something you have to watch out for, even in new old stock.

MosAZ

FNG
Appreciate the info. I’m looking at some new nl pures and was very tempted to go the eBay route until I read this. What’s another couple hundred for a lifetime warranty on a product that will get used heavily in the field with ample opportunity to get damaged.