Grey Wolf Protection To End In 2020

About time. The Grey wolf is not endangered. The Timber wolf is gone.

Huh, here I thought the terms were used as two of the same.

Regardless, as a guy who's family hunting property is in N. MN, I'm happy about any progress towards getting them delisted.

Anozira

WKR

According to the article, I found it interesting they are excluding the Mexican Grey Wolves. I know AZGFD has poured alot of money and resources in bringing back the population. What makes them any different than say another states reintroduction effort? And no, I'm not a wolf lover- just curious.

GoHunt: Article “exempting a small population of Mexican wolves in the Southwest,”

Huh, here I thought the terms were used as two of the same.

Regardless, as a guy who's family hunting property is in N. MN, I'm happy about any progress towards getting them delisted.

The Grey wolf is not indigenous to the United States. It comes from the North. The Timber wolf was and is no longer available to reintroduce.

tdhanses

WKR
According to the article, I found it interesting they are excluding the Mexican Grey Wolves. I know AZGFD has poured alot of money and resources in bringing back the population. What makes them any different than say another states reintroduction effort? And no, I'm not a wolf lover- just curious.

GoHunt: Article “exempting a small population of Mexican wolves in the Southwest,”
From what I understand the Mexican grey wolves go up into southern CO but the northern gray wolves will destroy them if they ever reach the southern states. The Mexican variety is much smaller.

Ucsdryder

WKR

because the leaf lickers in Colorado are putting it on the ballot to force them down our throats. When they were protected it wasn’t up to a public vote and It was decided that Colorado wasn’t a good place for introduction. Now that they’re no longer protected we’re going to get them in Colorado and of course they’ll be protected. Biology by ballots. Love it.

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
because the leaf lickers in Colorado are putting it on the ballot to force them down our throats. When they were protected it wasn’t up to a public vote and It was decided that Colorado wasn’t a good place for introduction. Now that they’re no longer protected we’re going to get them in Colorado and of course they’ll be protected. Biology by ballots. Love it.
I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure it’s on the ballot either way. What might keep it off is if they can prove the pack out of Craig and maybe North Park represent a viable population and therefore they don’t need to be reintroduced.

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
Either way the best shot at stopping it is to vote. Talk to family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, whomever about the issue and convince them to VOTE! (preferably against...)

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m pretty sure they put it on the ballot expecting the removal from the endangered list. The other point I am unsure about. I’ve heard that as well. It sounds like it’s well documented they’re here. If they’re already here how can you reintroduced them.

Mosby

WKR
My son has a neighbor in Kansas City. She saw me loading for a hunting trip two years ago. Asked me what I was doing. Stuck her head in my trailer. I told her I was going hunting. After giving me a few dirty looks she asked me if I hunted wolves. I said not this trip. Why? Because they are endangered. Not where I go, I said. She asked me why I would kill a wolf? I told her that they have decimated elk herds in Idaho and Montana.The can also destroy deer herds
She related that it wasn't true. Wolves don't eat Elk or deer......that is what we are up against. She has never seen a wolf. Doesn't have a clue about them or their impact. Evidently thinks they are vegans. But she gets to vote same as us. Pure ignorance.

Spike elk

WKR
Idaho recently changed their hunting season on wolves to be nearly year round, well in some units it is year round. Good thing all of the wolfies were watching CNN and hiding under their beds from Covid. Genius move by the Idaho Fish and game as far as timing. Never even heard a whimper from the usual crowd crying about how wolves are people too.