Griffin Optimus Micro Suppressor Help

Tmac

WKR
I am considering this suppressor. It is rated for both rimfire and .22 caliber center fire cartridges. I have little experience with suppressors and welcome any suggestions.

My main use case will be for two Ruger American 17 HMR rifles with 16” barrels I have ordered for my two grandsons. What attracted me to this particular suppressor is I can also use it on my AR’s and bolt actions in 223/5.56 and 224 Valkyrie. What I am not sure of is the old Jack of all trades master of none trap.

My guess is this will work well for the rimfires, but will it actually be a good viable suppressor for .223/5.56/224 Valkyrie? Don’t necessarily need it to be the best in sound suppression, but do want it to be good. Would I be better off getting two dedicated rimfire cans and then one dedicated to the .22 center fires?

The number of suppressors available and all the variables is bewildering at my low level of knowledge and experience in this area. I was unable to find info about it on Pew Science, possibly I missed it or looked in the wrong spot.

Appreciate any insight offered and especially interested in any actual experience using one on a 223/5.56. Thank you.

I use a Griffin Optimus Micro on an AR-15 with a 16” barrel, bolt action 223 with a 16” barrel, and occasionally on a S&W 5.7. The suppression is surprisingly good, especially if you use the taper mount extension. Overall, the suppressor is a great value and I would recommend trying one out if it fits your budget and needs.

I know people like to repeat the line that suppressors on centerfire rifles don’t need cleaning—I haven’t found that to be true. Being able to take this suppressor apart to clean is really nice.

If I had to name a negative for the suppressor it’s that it is a little heavy for a 22LR suppressor, but still not bad.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tmac

WKR
I use a Griffin Optimus Micro on an AR-15 with a 16” barrel, bolt action 223 with a 16” barrel, and occasionally on a S&W 5.7. The suppression is surprisingly good, especially if you use the taper mount extension. Overall, the suppressor is a great value and I would recommend trying one out if it fits your budget and needs.

I know people like to repeat the line that suppressors on centerfire rifles don’t need cleaning—I haven’t found that to be true. Being able to take this suppressor apart to clean is really nice.

If I had to name a negative for the suppressor it’s that it is a little heavy for a 22LR suppressor, but still not bad.
Thank you.

One consideration I think is if you plan on using it on a SBR AR15. If you don't have a 10.3-11.5" AR15, do you ever plan on getting one in the future? If you do, you'll probably want the option of suppressing it because they're very loud. The Griffin you linked is rated down to 12.5" but that doesn't mean it can necessarily handle a high volume of fire from a barrel that short, especially if you plan on using a flash hider. A lot of suppressor manufacturers recommend using a brake to act like a sacrificial blast baffle but using one with a SBR AR15 is quite an experience.

Another consideration might be weight. A good .22 suppressor can be less than half the weight of the Griffin. If you're wanting the lightest setup, it might be worth considering a .22 suppressor and a .30 cal suppressor for using on your other rifles. I know two cans wasn't part of the question you asked, but sometimes places run specials. Capitol Armory recently had a sale where if you spent $849 you could get a free .22 suppressor, you just paid for the stamp. SilencerCo had a BOGO sale where you could get a free suppressor as well, although it took a while to get your free suppressor.

OP
T

Tmac

WKR
One consideration I think is if you plan on using it on a SBR AR15. If you don't have a 10.3-11.5" AR15, do you ever plan on getting one in the future? If you do, you'll probably want the option of suppressing it because they're very loud. The Griffin you linked is rated down to 12.5" but that doesn't mean it can necessarily handle a high volume of fire from a barrel that short, especially if you plan on using a flash hider. A lot of suppressor manufacturers recommend using a brake to act like a sacrificial blast baffle but using one with a SBR AR15 is quite an experience.

Another consideration might be weight. A good .22 suppressor can be less than half the weight of the Griffin. If you're wanting the lightest setup, it might be worth considering a .22 suppressor and a .30 cal suppressor for using on your other rifles. I know two cans wasn't part of the question you asked, but sometimes places run specials. Capitol Armory recently had a sale where if you spent $849 you could get a free .22 suppressor, you just paid for the stamp. SilencerCo had a BOGO sale where you could get a free suppressor as well, although it took a while to get your free suppressor.
Thank you. No SBR’s now or planned. I’ll take a closer look at the combined rifle and can weight vs the AR’s and rifles they shoot now. Weight could be an issue for the grands, but I think what they shoot well now may already weigh more. Thanks again.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d put it in the jack of all trades category.

It will need that taper mount and adapter to use the 224 valk. Something I don’t see as worth it on such a small suppressor.

It works surprisingly well on a 223 bolt gun. But it’s still not close to say an ultra 7. But any suppressor is better than none.

On a 17hmr it’s nice. About as quiet as my 22 takedown.

If I needed something to bounce around rimfires it’s not a terrible option. It’s neat for what it is, but since getting dedicated suppressors it has largely gone unused on anything but a 17hmr. It’s built surprisingly heavy duty.

And regardless what you read don’t shoot hmr in a sealed suppressor. It’s messy ammo and leaves almost a sand like residue.

Owning one, I’d reccomend a rimfire suppressor, could be the micro, and something more dedicated for centerfire.

OP
T

Tmac

WKR
I’d put it in the jack of all trades category.

It will need that taper mount and adapter to use the 224 valk. Something I don’t see as worth it on such a small suppressor.

It works surprisingly well on a 223 bolt gun. But it’s still not close to say an ultra 7. But any suppressor is better than none.

On a 17hmr it’s nice. About as quiet as my 22 takedown.

If I needed something to bounce around rimfires it’s not a terrible option. It’s neat for what it is, but since getting dedicated suppressors it has largely gone unused on anything but a 17hmr. It’s built surprisingly heavy duty.

And regardless what you read don’t shoot hmr in a sealed suppressor. It’s messy ammo and leaves almost a sand like residue.

Owning one, I’d reccomend a rimfire suppressor, could be the micro, and something more dedicated for centerfire.
Appreciate the info, thank you.