Grinding Waterfowl

sram9102

WKR
Anyone have any issues with running waterfowl through a meat grinder? I have enough duck to make a decent amount of sausage and have ran a hand held metal detector over breast for a while trying to remove shot but one still slips through occasionally. Would this damage a meat grinder?

Attachments

• 20221029_100623[1].jpg
    20221029_100623[1].jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 10
My local processor will no longer accept waterfowl for grind because it caused so much damage to his equipment. Have not tried personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
We do 2 things. Strip all the meat up fairly small and run a cow magnet over it to find shot, and when we grind it only use a large plate so if you miss a few BB's they pass through the plate.

Anyone have any issues with running waterfowl through a meat grinder? I have enough duck to make a decent amount of sausage and have ran a hand held metal detector over breast for a while trying to remove shot but one still slips through occasionally. Would this damage a meat grinder?
I’ve done it a lot and never had a problem. One cut to split long ways and you can easily see where bbs entered the breast. Just see if them along with a feather is still stuck in the hole.

It’s a bigger problem in theory than it is in practice.

OP
sram9102

sram9102

WKR
Thanks guys. Just upgraded to a 1hp grinder and don't want to trash it on its first grind.

Tod osier

WKR

I've done it plenty and I've hit pellets, they do wreck your knife (be ready to turn it off if jams). Once you do it once, you have a special waterfowl knife. :0 Resharpen and have at it. I haven't seen an effect on the plate.

S.Clancy

WKR
We've put several hundred lbs of waterfowl through my grinder and never had a problem. The only thing it could really damage is the blade, but those are like 15$ and often need replacing anyway. We make ground meat jerky and do end up with pellets in the jerky occasionally, so it is always best to chew softly.....

Tod osier

WKR
We've put several hundred lbs of waterfowl through my grinder and never had a problem. The only thing it could really damage is the blade, but those are like 15$ and often need replacing anyway. We make ground meat jerky and do end up with pellets in the jerky occasionally, so it is always best to chew softly.....
I must be the unlucky one. I've hit tiny little 9 TSS and regular steel.

S.Clancy

WKR
I must be the unlucky one. I've hit tiny little 9 TSS and regular steel.
Maybe it is a density issue. When we are cleaning birds whenever we get to one that doesn't have obvious pellets in the breast/thighs I tell my girlfriend "Ah, this is my bird, I only head shoot them...". Hahahaha.

In reality, I shoot almost all steel #2's so it is not like there is a ton of pellets anyway, at least compared to #9's. And #2 holes are pretty easy to see

Yoteassasin

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve ground hundreds of pounds of waterfowl over the years and have yet to have a issue . I slice at any puncture and rinse thoroughly in a colander during prep . Another tool to use are those game washing buckets . They are incredibly effective at stripping bloodshot and knocking shot out of birds

t_carlson

WKR
I've ground some without a problem.

Wife didn't like biting BBs though, so now I cube and then run a metal detector over the meat before doing anything with it.

I quit grinding it in my shop as well. It can wreak havoc on a knife blade. Plus there are issues with it being fowl so we really had to sanitize the heck out of all the equipment.

OP
sram9102

sram9102

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. I ended up filleting the duck breast in half and running the metal detector over them. Found all of the pellets I believe. No harm done to the grinder.

drra

FNG
I've only done it once and as was mentioned earlier, I stripped the meet into very small strips and was fortunate not to miss any pellets. It doubled the time (at least) but it was worth it as I didn't want to damage my grinder or parts of it (also didn't want a pellet in the sausage). The sausage that I added ground pork to (complement the duck/goose meat) turned out much better than the sausage without the port