Grip / Non skid spray paint on a stock

Contemplating a stock painting project.

I was thinking about adding some texture to the bottom of the forearm and rear grip area. A friend suggested an undercoat of grip spray paint and then paint my colors over. any one have any thoughts or experience using this stuff? Any other options To consider?

Its probably more abrasive then you want but they make very fine silica, sprinkle it on the wet paint then do another coat.
I used it in the epoxy of my shop floor.

Maybe do a test on a piece of cardboard.
Screenshot_20220401-201529_Chrome.jpg

I’ve used this and really like the finish. It doesn’t really provide a lot of color compared to what it shows on the cap. I base coat, then apply the texture paint, then apply my top coats to finish. I’ve been satisfied with it
With that being said, these are cheap Ruger American stocks and my standards may not be what yours are. I was looking for a different color and a textured finish. My stuff isn’t trophy grade.😁

D8E3998D-E389-451F-BD85-1441A34AA82C.jpeg

What is the stock manufactured out of?

Silica is to coarse and abrasive, also a pain in the ass to get a uniform texture out of.

I do like the idea of the textured or traction paints mentioned by the OP and previous poster.

I would practice before I dove in head first what ever you choose.

I went with a spider webbed style with the newest rifle and it's very easy to grip.

2ea9868b409b68ef0c0b2a3345a1dc2d.jpg

I'll echo the practice that Darryle mentioned above. By the looks of things, the stakes were a little higher for him. 😁

The only experience I’ve had with non-skid is the marine grade stuff we use on our ship decks. I DO NOT recommend that stuff for on a rifle stock. Find a gentler and lighter way to get traction.

I used a textured automotive spray on a savage rimfire stock. Think it was called trunk spray like for your car trunk….or bedliner is what I see more commonly now. Just taped off the areas I did ‘t want it on and went at it. Leaves some texture but not real aggressive. I left it black but could be painted over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used krylon fine stone about 12 or more years ago and it’s still holding up well. I thought about doing The web thing over it but didn’t really care too much and never got around to it. The original stock was shined black and too slick for my liking. I figured it would have worn in spots or scratch off long ago but never did and I don’t baby the gun. I scuffed it really good with a scotch brite pad and wiped down with thinner or maybe rubbing alcohol I don’t remember. There’s another thread on here that a guy did a pretty cool sponge camo with the web stuff over it if you were going for looks. If not, this stuff seemed to work well for me with the perfect amount of grip without rubbing holes in stuff. 664829C7-0CBB-4A24-84A8-473A2CA1F6A0.jpeg

Try marine tech firberglass resin, the same stuff u use to glass bed the action. Look it up on YouTube. Mask off the area you want to texture, then apply a thin coat of marine tech, allow it to become tacky . Then use a a plastic spoon to dab the area to create a texture surface. Once dry a light sanding to knock down any rough edges. If you have questions pm me, I can send you photos of several stock I have done this to.

I used krylon fine stone about 12 or more years ago and it’s still holding up well. I thought about doing The web thing over it but didn’t really care too much and never got around to it. The original stock was shined black and too slick for my liking. I figured it would have worn in spots or scratch off long ago but never did and I don’t baby the gun. I scuffed it really good with a scotch brite pad and wiped down with thinner or maybe rubbing alcohol I don’t remember. There’s another thread on here that a guy did a pretty cool sponge camo with the web stuff over it if you were going for looks. If not, this stuff seemed to work well for me with the perfect amount of grip without rubbing holes in stuff. View attachment 399433
how much weight do you think that added?

how much weight do you think that added?
I never thought about it. I actually have no idea what any of my guns weigh, don’t want to know either, then I might worry about it. If they shoot good and I like them I use them. My favorite hunting rifle is one of my heavier ones and happens to be the one I painted. I drag it around anyway because I like it. I suppose a guy could figure out how much a sq ft of that particular spray paint weighs per coat, how much surface area is on the particular rifle stock that was being painted and how many coats to cover it adequately and do all the math. I wouldn’t, but a guy could…

I never thought about it. I actually have no idea what any of my guns weigh, don’t want to know either, then I might worry about it. If they shoot good and I like them I use them. My favorite hunting rifle is one of my heavier ones and happens to be the one I painted. I drag it around anyway because I like it. I suppose a guy could figure out how much a sq ft of that particular spray paint weighs per coat, how much surface area is on the particular rifle stock that was being painted and how many coats to cover it adequately and do all the math. I wouldn’t, but a guy could…
Hahaha fair enough I’m not that big of a nerd either. My sheep rifle is heavier than most but just curious on your set up looks handy figured I might ask and see if you were concerned about it or like me and if you shoot it well it goes with.... to an extent anyways..... carried my 28 nos that weighs in around 12lbs on a few moose and sheep hunts and if I don’t have a horse it doesn’t go with anymore haha

Hahaha fair enough I’m not that big of a nerd either. My sheep rifle is heavier than most but just curious on your set up looks handy figured I might ask and see if you were concerned about it or like me and if you shoot it well it goes with.... to an extent anyways..... carried my 28 nos that weighs in around 12lbs on a few moose and sheep hunts and if I don’t have a horse it doesn’t go with anymore haha
I will probably only dream of sheep or moose hunting and might make a lightweight move if I ever got the chance. I pack the heavy thing around quite a bit, more than most would put up with. It’s an older tikka m695 .280 rem medium barrel rmef edition. I bought it from a shop that had it on consignment from a guy who won it in a raffle. It’s killed every deer and pig I’ve shot at and with the first shot so I’ve gotten attached to it. No, I don’t care much about a little extra weight if it’s not too dumb, but I might get one of those carbon barrel rifles someday, they do look neat, maybe a .257wm. I’m not opposed to carrying less weight, I just haven’t had the opportunity yet. If I had the property, I’d have a couple mules and pack a heck of a camp! Sounds like you have a great setup.

This has been done by many on this forum. Scotch brute pad to scuff. Rub down and clean well with alcohol. Sprayed with Krylon stone and then sealed with three coats of clear coat. Could also paint over with a different color and keep the texture. Gives nice grip but isn’t too abrasive. Very happy with results. Seemed pretty user friendly!

Attachments

• 0EECD9ED-ED33-43DE-B14A-35E23DA065B2.jpeg
    0EECD9ED-ED33-43DE-B14A-35E23DA065B2.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 85
This has been done by many on this forum. Scotch brute pad to scuff. Rub down and clean well with alcohol. Sprayed with Krylon stone and then sealed with three coats of clear coat. Could also paint over with a different color and keep the texture. Gives nice grip but isn’t too abrasive. Very happy with results. Seemed pretty user friendly!
What’s that lefty tikka chambered in?

I used krylon fine stone about 12 or more years ago and it’s still holding up well. I thought about doing The web thing over it but didn’t really care too much and never got around to it. The original stock was shined black and too slick for my liking. I figured it would have worn in spots or scratch off long ago but never did and I don’t baby the gun. I scuffed it really good with a scotch brite pad and wiped down with thinner or maybe rubbing alcohol I don’t remember. There’s another thread on here that a guy did a pretty cool sponge camo with the web stuff over it if you were going for looks. If not, this stuff seemed to work well for me with the perfect amount of grip without rubbing holes in stuff. View attachment 399433
I've used the same on a few of my stocks and for friends stocks too. Lightly sanded in some areas as needed.

I did the Rustoleum Multicolor on my Tikka and it's served me well for some years now. Slowly starting to loose it's grip over time, but way better than stock. I need to mask it off quick and give it a fresh coat.

Back