Grizzly Re-introduction

kickemall

WKR
Below is an article from AP that was in the Sacramento Bee this morning. They should be careful what they wish for.

Put grizzlies back in wild, petition asks
By Susan Montoya Bryan The Associated Press
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – An environmental group called on federal wildlife managers Wednesday to update a decades-old recovery plan for grizzly bears to ensure the animal’s return to the Grand Canyon and other areas of the West, including the Sierra Nevada in California.

The Center for Biological Diversity, in a petition filed with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, accused the agency of using a fragmented approach as it tries to recover the threatened species.

Efforts are focused on a fraction of the bear’s historic range, but the petition identifies 110,000 square miles around the West that could provide suitable habitat.

Those areas include a forested region straddling the Arizona-New Mexico border, the Grand Canyon, the Sierra Nevada and parts of Utah and Colorado.

The recovery plan for grizzlies dates back to 1993. The Center for Biological Diversity says the plan needs to consider recent research that questions the long-term viability of the current grizzly population.

“The science is clear that, if we’re serious about recovering grizzly bears, we need more populations around the West and more connections between them so they don’t fall prey to inbreeding and so they have a chance of adapting to a warming world,” said Noah Greenwald, director of the center’s endangered species program .

A spokesman with the Fish and Wildlife Service said Wednesday the agency had not yet received the petition. He did not comment on whether the agency had any existing plans to update the grizzly’s recovery plan.

The agency did state as part of a review of the bear’s status done in 2011 that the recovery plan was outdated and it needed to consider other areas as potential habitat.

According to the agency, an estimated 50,000 grizzlies roamed between the Pacific Ocean and Great Plains during the early 1800s. Their numbers were drastically reduced as more pioneers headed west. By 1975, when the bears were listed, only six of the 37 separate populations that were present just 50 years earlier remained.

There are five areas where grizzlies are found today, including the Yellowstone region and along the northern Continental Divide.

Federal wildlife managers have had mixed success in trying to reintroduce larger species, such as the gray wolf.

Greenwald acknowledged there would be some opposition to the grizzly, but he said there seemed to be more reverence surrounding the bear.

“The grizzly is the mascot of the University of Montana, and you drive around Montana and it’s grizzly this and grizzly that. And in California, they’re on the state flag. They’re just such an iconic animal,” he said.

From what I could find in a quick internet search it seems like bears are what are taking the largest toll on the elk in Yellowstone. I can only imagine how a larger scale reintroduction would effect deer and elk populations

mt100gr.

WKR
Yeah, and grab a couple from western MT. Or a bunch....really bad idea I think. The more populated the state, the more problems there will be. Lots of these ideas sound great when everyone is excited about "enacting change" and putting democracy to work but they will regret it if they get their way...nothing good will come of it.

AZ Vince

WKR
AZ and New Mexico have done a good job following the sss system in regards to wolves. I'm in hopes the same holds true for these critters.

JeremiahH

WKR
I'm sure the plan is to use coastal brown bears from Kodiak. No difference in species right?

Art Vandeley

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion which very easily could be wrong, the hippies can see that grizz should be delisted in the next 5-10 years. This has the potential to open up a hunting season. To start populations in new areas, they would have to transplant grizzles from MT, ID, or WY which would reduce the need for a hunting season. This could be one of the reason for such a sudden push for expansion.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Once the wolves have been delisted, the grizzlies are next. I'm sure Wyoming and Montana would love hunting seasons for grizz and would eliminate our need to go to BC and help them lower their numbers. I would argue with Art.

Ray

WKR
So if the bear lovers get their way and CA gets some grizz, will that bear whisperer in Big Bear get eaten sooner rather than later? Those folks can't handle black bears, so how can they even conceive of grizzly problems?

Just think of all the want-to-be Timmy Treadwells down in CA that will get an opportunity to become bear poo just like Timmy.

Rizzy

WKR
If it's going to lower the population of idiots down there, I'm for it!

So if the bear lovers get their way and CA gets some grizz, will that bear whisperer in Big Bear get eaten sooner rather than later? Those folks can't handle black bears, so how can they even conceive of grizzly problems?

Just think of all the want-to-be Timmy Treadwells down in CA that will get an opportunity to become bear poo just like Timmy.

OP
K

kickemall

WKR
You guys did read this part and realize its not just Ca. their talking about? The Grand Canyon? One of the most popular tourist destinations in the U.S? That ought to be interesting.

"Those areas include a forested region straddling the Arizona-New Mexico border, the Grand Canyon, the Sierra Nevada and parts of Utah and Colorado."

You guys did read this part and realize its not just Ca. their talking about? The Grand Canyon? One of the most popular tourist destinations in the U.S? That ought to be interesting.

"Those areas include a forested region straddling the Arizona-New Mexico border, the Grand Canyon, the Sierra Nevada and parts of Utah and Colorado."

They are already there
Or close anyway
Some buddies and I were motorcycling the north cascade loop back probably 2004 or 05
And saw one in a clearing not far from the road we all saw it and agreed the color and hump on the neck it was a grizzly for sure

I hope they reintroduce grizzly into colorado. The stupid pro wolf liberals want it to “historic” conditions. So let’s gets some
Grizzly’s in here that will maul
And eat people and put some fear into these hippies

gabenzeke

WKR
In my opinion which very easily could be wrong, the hippies can see that grizz should be delisted in the next 5-10 years. This has the potential to open up a hunting season. To start populations in new areas, they would have to transplant grizzles from MT, ID, or WY which would reduce the need for a hunting season. This could be one of the reason for such a sudden push for expansion.
See, I was just thinking this sounds like they're trying to stretch state game departments thin intentionally to make taking them over or otherwise controlling them easier. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you want, but all these lunatic fringe leftist groups seem to be real good at playing the long game.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk