Ground hunting pressured whitetails

One point that I reflect on with past kills on the ground. I went to the deer.
Hiked with my swivel 5gallon bucket until the sign was hot. Often that was a funnel type of vegetation or terrain.
Fun, but you only get does generally.
The two small openings at 45 degrees comment sure is good. Grass and light brush allows you to punch out the lanes needed. BUT, don't put any ground scent near their trail. Clearing a foot circle is another key detail.
Going to hot sign and prepping a site immediately has a downside. Noise created during prep prevents you from hunting most bedding areas.

I think I'm done spot and stalk hunting in this pre-rut / rut timeframe. The deer just move too damn much, can't ever get close before they haul ass a mile away for no apparent reason. Also too many crops still in. I like them post-rut, exhausted. I can kill a buck like that.

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks for this thread. I’ve convinced my buddy that we should switch up from stands to stalking on his farm. We will probably start with rifles, but lot of the advice in here sounds helpful.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
My last few bow kills have been from the ground. It's lower odds of success, but our season is long. I have more fun doing it this way, so I keep doing it. My kids are getting more interested, so I can see ground blinds and ladder stands in our future, but when I'm solo I prefer the good old fashioned way.

I'm sure some of you guys already saw this, but finally killed a whitetail on the ground in western Kansas. I still assert the best time to do it is during the lockdown phase. This buck was with one doe, and they were up and down up and down in the CRP in the middle part of the day. Made it easy to locate and stalk. And then when it came to the shot he was so preoccupied with the doe he hardly noticed me.

d9b8f4b3a5f41db91c7e3a6a2b66b95e.jpg

the terrain/vegetation you're dealing with are dramatically different than the region I hunt. Lockdown on the ground around me is futile, much better when they're cruising.

I broke out the leafy suit and sat in a couple blow downs. Deer movement was way off due to pressure and weather. Had a deer come up right behind me, when I was in a blowdown, but couldn't get the shot off. Sounded like an elephant leaving.

Another one down, this time maryland public land. 22 yards, she didn't have a clue I was there. Ghilly suit and strategic set up are very effective.
20231122_121757_001.jpg

great info. New bow hunter, discovered a great white tail spot and figured i'd give it a go before trying a stand. All my friends think I'm crazy trying to bow hunt white tails on the ground. First year and have had three close calls in 6 hunt days, so not bad. Probably could have killed a 4 point, but didn't draw before he was right onto of me less then 10. like the comment on be happy with any kill " real hunting" haha, Two others winded me before into range and before I could see them, under 100 yards though. Glad to see others that are. "crazy" and it is possible. hopefully more possible next time out with all the great replies.

rockslide community is awesome. thanks for the motivation.

Ghillie suit or 3d leafy camo.
softer shoes.
move slow
dont be afraid to crawl

biggest thing is to somehow mask your draw. Wait until their vision is blocked or something.