Grouse in Arizona?

dtrkyman

WKR
They have Dusky in a few places, I have hunted one of those areas for deer, never saw a grouse.

BBob

WKR
We do have Blue Grouse here and there but you'll probably go hungry if you try to count on getting any consistently to feed yourself :)

OP
M

MadMaxx

FNG
Are they what we call spruce hens in MN..land of the grouse!

OP
M

MadMaxx

FNG
We have ruffed grouse in MN and Spruce hens. You can damn near walk up too them and kill them and they don't taste any good, spruce (pine) flavor./ I was wondering if a Blue grouse was similar to a spruce hen

BBob

WKR
Blue grouse are generally stupid. Most times they’ll sit up on a pine bough and stare down at you as you put the bead on them to blast them out of the tree. I’ve shot a few out of trees with the bow too. I never minded the taste. You need to possess the game bird stamp to be able to shoot one and be legal.

OP
M

MadMaxx

FNG
Thank you...yes they are the about like the MN Spruce hen... Thanks for the real reply

dtrkyman

WKR
"Dusky grouse are named after the bluish-gray appearance of the male. In Arizona grouse are found in the mixed conifer and aspen forests above 8,500 feet. As a consequence, these birds are only found in the White, Blue, Escudilla, Chuska, and Buckskin (North Kaibab) mountains, and on the San Francisco Peaks where they were introduced in the mid- 1970s. An additional transplant effort is underway to establish dusky grouse on the Mogollon Rim. Males are measurably larger than females, 2-year-old “cocks” weigh up to 3 pounds as opposed to the adult female’s average weight of between 1.75 to 2 pounds. In comparison, first year birds or poults typically weigh only 16 to 28 ounces during the early days of the September hunting season."

Straight off game and fish site.

OP
M

MadMaxx

FNG
Thank you for your information and kindness. Yes Ii am new here with a desire to learn not be stupid

dtrkyman

WKR
Asking questions is never stupid…some get a hard on over guys looking for info about hunts…ignore it and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
I feel like we are feeding a bunch of new bots around here lately. All the newbies with odd questions and goofy responses plus some have odd lazy unimaginative usernames
And 2 posts later, “blue grouse are generally stupid”. What a correlation.

Donjuan

WKR
They seem to have a reverse migration in the fall...they go higher as it gets colder.

Alpine meeting sage brush is a good starting point

OP
M

MadMaxx

FNG
Thank you for comparing me to a blue grouse. If I am not wanted here just tell me Mr. pirogue

hobbes

WKR
We have all three mountain grouse in MT. Blues (dusky grouse) are not as dumb as spruce (franklin's grouse), and the ruffed grouse are jumpier than both. Ruffed taste the best with blues behind them. Spruce are not typically considered the best table fare but I've eaten a couple that we did nothing more than roast over a fire on a stick. I have to assume that a little effort with adding some flavor would go a long way.