Grundens vs Helly Hansen Raingear

Aggie07

FNG
Gents,

I have an Alaska moose hunt this fall and was looking into various pieces of gear. Being able to bust through wet brush looks like it will be important.

I am looking to see if anyone has experience comparing the Grundens Neptune Camo raingear against Helly Hansen Impertech?

Is one tougher than the other for busting through wet brush? I will also plan to bring goretex raingear but have read that rubber is essential.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I brought the Grundens Neptune camo jacket last year on my Alaska moose hunt and it worked flawlessly. We had pouring cold rain about 50% of the time and I was always dry except for the sweat while hiking. Might be worth bringing a really lightweight shell that breaths better for hiking while still staying somewhat dry if you don't might the extra weight?

Both are good. Mine is the HH guide jacket you posted. If you are using hip boots or waders they are the bomb. I sized mine to go over my other cloths. I do have the HH bibs too. You floating or drop camp?

OP
Aggie07

Aggie07

FNG
Both are good. Mine is the HH guide jacket you posted. If you are using hip boots or waders they are the bomb. I sized mine to go over my other cloths. I do have the HH bibs too. You floating or drop camp?
Thanks Corey. We are doing a fly out drop camp.

OP
Aggie07

Aggie07

FNG
I brought the Grundens Neptune camo jacket last year on my Alaska moose hunt and it worked flawlessly. We had pouring cold rain about 50% of the time and I was always dry except for the sweat while hiking. Might be worth bringing a really lightweight shell that breaths better for hiking while still staying somewhat dry if you don't might the extra weight?
Sounds good. I have an REI gore tex (2 layer) that I could bring (its bright blue in color though) or investigate buying another lighter duty jacket / windbreaker. I also purchased the Sitka Ambient Hoody as a mid layer - it seems to get good reviews.

Sounds good. I have an REI gore tex (2 layer) that I could bring (its bright blue in color though) or investigate buying another lighter duty jacket / windbreaker. I also purchased the Sitka Ambient Hoody as a mid layer - it seems to get good reviews.
Buy either of those jackets and run what you got. I like the longer length of the guide jacket. They will take the abuse of the alders and keep going.

OP
Aggie07

Aggie07

FNG
I wound up buying the camo Grundens jacket and it arrived yesterday. The fabric is nicer than I expected. I think it will be good insurance against any crazy downpours that could saturate the gore tex jackets.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Both are excellent and perform as needed in my experience. I have a mix of Grundens and HH stuff and it's all been really good gear.

I bought the HH Impertech II and could get both the pants and coat for under $100 off Amazon. I ended up taking just the coat to Alaska and using my waders on bottom the whole time.

Following for my upcoming hunt in AK. Have used Forloh very successfully in typical really wet/cold duck hunting weather as well as pouring rain while stag hunting in NZ but hearing a lot of advice for more rubberized option like HH for heavy Alaska rain as well as holding up to vegetation when hiking between drainages.

Also Gig’Em to @Aggie07 — I am also Class of ‘07!

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I found the impertech sizing weird.
I think I have xl bibs and L jacket.
Which is opposite of my normal sizing
What is your normal pant and jacket size? I'm looking at a set of these and want to make sure I get the right size.

AK4570

FNG
I've lived in HH Impertech for a lot of moose seasons. They've never let me down. Matter of fact there's a set rolled up under the back seat of my truck right now!

Come to think of it, that's where they've been since we moved to MT. Huh...

Best of luck on your moose hunt, and best regards.
John