Guide Recommendations for Region G Wyoming

Want to hunt it next year. As a NR I know I need a guide for the wilderness. Anyone have any good recommendations? I’d provide my own stock to pack in with

There’s not much if any wilderness in Region G. No guide needed but deer herd is decimated. I’d definitely wait a few years if I was burning all those NR points to draw

mntnguide

WKR
No wilderness areas in G...and no outfitters are going to let you bring your own stock. and as stated above, deer got decimated. Worst year I have ever seen for trophy potential and animal numbers. I scout all summer, and I didnt deer hunt 1 day this fall because of how horrible it was. There were 75% less deer checked in at the greys river check station. Most of the main outfitters are booked years in advance, but that might change with people moving hunts to future years. Non-typical outfitters, Double Diamond outfitters; greys river outfitters.. just to name a few. But, if you are wanting to bring your own stock, why are you looking for an outfitter?

TaperPin

WKR
I know a guide that I recommended many times that hunts a fantastic drainage next to one of my hunting spots and he has a photo album full of monster deer. After he had guides ride ridges in our area, essentially driving deer towards the drainage they hunt, I’ll never recommend that sob again.

I‘d have to agree with the others - there’s very little chance any outfitter will allow stock that’s unknown to them on these trails. A horse that freaks out on a steep or rocky area is not just a danger to itself and the rider, but the person who has to go fish them out of whatever boulder pile or jungle they got themselves into.

A friend of mine went along with a group of his son’s friends and there were a few horses that had no reason to be there. In addition to small hiccups, one pack horse freaked out in a steep area and got tangled up way down the steep bank - the owner was not emotionally or experientially able to help the horse. My friend stepped in and explained what it would take and how the horse might or might not make it out, as well as the danger to the person who would have to work the horse out of that minefield. The owner agreed the best course of action was to put the horse down. No outfitter will volunteer for that drama.

Last edited:
No outfitter should be booking deer hunts next year. It wouldn't surprise me if they shut down deer hunting there next year.

Porkchop

FNG
No outfitter is going to shut down his business because the deer population is down and his clients don’t get to shoot giant giant deer. The outfitter gets paid either way. The idea that an area know for big bucks has less big bucks and is going to be self regulated by outfitting business is a laughable concept.

KHNC

WKR
He may have meant DNR may shut it down. Definitely no well known outfitters will be shutting down. WYOGA doesnt have an unemployment program.

Ryansven

FNG
I know a guide that I recommended many times that hunts a fantastic drainage next to one of my hunting spots and he has a photo album full of monster deer. After he had guides ride ridges in our area, essentially driving deer towards the drainage they hunt, I’ll never recommend that sob again.

I‘d have to agree with the others - there’s very little chance any outfitter will allow stock that’s unknown to them on these trails. A horse that freaks out on a steep or rocky area is not just a danger to itself and the rider, but the person who has to go fish them out of whatever boulder pile or jungle they got themselves into.

A friend of mine went along with a group of his son’s friends and there were a few horses that had no reason to be there. In addition to small hiccups, one pack horse freaked out in a steep area and got tangled up way down the steep bank - the owner was not emotionally or experientially able to help the horse. My friend stepped in and explained what it would take and how the horse might or might not make it out, as well as the danger to the person who would have to work the horse out of that minefield. The owner agreed the best course of action was to put the horse down. No outfitter will volunteer for that drama.
That happen this year in H? I had a friend that this happened to this year as well.

TaperPin

WKR
That happen this year in H? I had a friend that this happened to this year as well.
It happened a few different years in the past - it’s only been this year that it became clear what they were doing. Rather than ride from their drainage into the wind, they were riding 8 miles way around to get upwind of the ridges near us and then sloppily working their way back. I‘ve had various friends from Jackson who guide and half of them are asses who probably do it as well, or at least it wouldn’t surprise me if they did, but they don’t mention it around me or they’d never hear the end of it.

Ryansven

FNG
It happened a few different years in the past - it’s only been this year that it became clear what they were doing. Rather than ride from their drainage into the wind, they were riding 8 miles way around to get upwind of the ridges near us and then sloppily working their way back. I‘ve had various friends from Jackson who guide and half of them are asses who probably do it as well, or at least it wouldn’t surprise me if they did, but they don’t mention it around me or they’d never hear the end of it.
Sorry I meant the horse fall issue.

TaperPin

WKR
Sorry I meant the horse fall issue.
My friend was in Idaho when that happened, but it’s not uncommon, especially with the large number of rental horses out there and riders of varying abilities.

In a relatively short section of trail in my Wyoming hunting area 2 horses have died in a 10 year period, and there must be 50 heavily traveled areas in the western part of the state every bit as dangerous.

When horses are getting killed in dry conditions, it’s amazing seeing guys heading out with green horses just prior to heavy snow and freezing conditions - getting in will be much harder than getting out.

Cutting the Forest Service budget means things like trail maintenance get put on the back burner - not funding things isn’t good management, it’s not management at all. Politics.

Last edited: