Gun for DIY Alaskan Moose Hunt - thinking AR Platform, talk me out of it…

I did my first alaskan DIY moose hunt last year and had a blast. After a lot of contention surrounding my choice of firearm and bullets, I ended up using a 280 AI with 168gr bergers and it was awesome. However, because we doing the DIY thing, we also packed 10mms and an 870 loaded with slugs for bear defense. Was grateful we had both for the packouts of both moose. I am going back in 2024 and have decided it might be worth putting together a dedicated alaskan outfit if this is going to be a regular thing. My 280 AI is an UL rifle and can be used for elk, mulies and bears backcountry hunting. My thought is it would be nice to leave the 870 at home and I think I would be comfortable doing that if I had an AR (I currently dont own a single AR). So I have been looking at CAs offerings and am considering either the CA-10 G2 308, or the CA-15 G2 6mm ARC. Any thoughts?

Scope will be either the NX8 1-8 or the Trijicon Credo HX 1-8.

I think I could get more rounds on target with the 6mm, the 308 is obviously bigger. Both of our moose were shot within a 100 yards last year and I expect everything will be sub 300 yards in the future based on the area we are hunting.

Edit: Full disclosure, I am a huge 6mm fan. My favorite rifle is a 6mm creedmoor and that thing has just flat killed everything from elk to big black bears with 108 eldms. If CA offered the CA-10 G2 in a 6mm CM, it would be a done deal. For that reason I am probably leaning towards the ARC.

madcalfe

WKR
just take your 280ai..
and have your 10mm if it makes you sleep at night....:ROFLMAO:
Leave the 870 back at camp during the day and swap it for the 280ai if your gonna be packing out meat.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I would take the .280AI again. My guess is you will find very few Alaskans who use high capacity semi-autos for hunting because they are scared of bears.
It was interesting to see many of the natives hunting with open site ARs.

Side note, my friend sent me a video of a momma grizz that charged a guy he knew and his buddies this year. About half way through the video the phone is dropped and it sounds like an all out war. I guess one guy shot her through the head while she knocked him to his ass with a bolt gun. It was insane and they were lucky. Started with them firing a warning shot and then it was game on. Based on the video they were armed with a revolver and a couple bolt guns.

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I love 6mm ARC, but it wouldn't even come into my head in thinking about what caliber I should hunt with where the big bears roam. I love my 6mm ARC but it wouldn't be my choice for elk or moose. Deer absolutely. Antelope, near perfect. Grizzly... hell no. Deer in Grizzly country. Nope. I'm gonna carry a rifle that can pretty efficiently stand up to the task. I think my personal absolute minimum would be the trusty old 30-06. If you insist on an AR, make it an AR 10.in 338 federal. I'm not sure about ammo availability, but I think that round is up to the task.

I’m completely baffled why you would bring either a 870 or an AR to camp when you have a perfectly good moose rifle??

I’ve been to a lot of moose camps, and we all just carried the primary gun all the time. But also most good moose guns work nicely as bear guns. Scratching my head a bit at the problem you are trying to solve.

What am I missing that would cause an extra gun to be an advantage that out weighs the hassle of traveling with the additional iron?

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
2 Thoughts... Stick with the 280 AI for your hunting Rifle.

id like to hear more on the DIY part of your trip. You have a friend that lives in Alaska to tag along with or did you go in green?

z987k

WKR
The 280ai and the 10mm are plenty. Honestly you could leave the 10mm at home, but if it helps you sleep. The 870 is a brick of dead useless weight.

An AR in 338Fed would be kinda cool, but I can count on 0 hands the amount of times I've even thought I needed a semi to hunt in AK because of bears.

OP
PredatorSlayer
2 Thoughts... Stick with the 280 AI for your hunting Rifle.

id like to hear more on the DIY part of your trip. You have a friend that lives in Alaska to tag along with or did you go in green?
We went in green. We are from Utah and Idaho…never been to Alaska before.

Since you're a big AR platform guy, if you haven't seen them already, check out the Bear Creek Arsenal Huntmaster series. They have complete rifles in .270, .30-06, and .300 Win Mag. They're pricey but definitely interesting.