Gun safe electronic locks?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I wa recently having issues with my dial tumbler. it would sometimes take several try to gain access to the safe. After doing research I decided to go with electronic lock. When they first came out there were some issues but the new ones are very dependable. My choice was, stay with what I had and risk being locked out or going with electronic and maybe having issues down the road. The only thing I was warned about when changing was be certain relocker bolt is in proper position when job is complete, if it wasn't and it dropped when I closed the safe, well that would be a Sh*t out of luck situation. If you decide to install one, just be certain to follow all installation steps and make sure relocked bolt is in proper position.

WCB

WKR
All my safes and my fathers safes (6 total) are wheel locks. Zero issues and two are over 30 years old. I am in and out of my safes every couple days. I have had too many problems with electronic key pad type locks at work...on the gargae, etc.

Freelance

FNG
My large one is keyed. I have a couple of small gun lockers with RFID sensors and a keypad, which are both convenient, but they also have a key backup. I wouldn't trust the electronics without the physical backup.

Grumman

WKR
My electronic one locked me out for a week. Finally let me open it and I didn’t shut it back until I installed the mechanical dial in it. Mechanical for me here on out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a locksmith, and I've drilled many, many safes due to lock failures. Personally, I'd never trust a safe with a S&G, LaGard, or any off brand electronic locks. On the other hand, S&G mechanicals are still the best. My personal safes have AMSEC ESL10XL electronic locks, and this is what I sell and install the most of. In my nearly 20 year career, I've only ever had to drill one failed ESL, and that was after a drunk bartender decided to change the batteries, reversed the polarity, and let it sit until it melted down. With a quality electronic lock, I'd say that reliability is on par with mechanical locks, contrary to popular belief mechanicals fail on a regular basis.

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
My first Cannon safe had a LaGard electronic pad. (As stated above). It failed after I had it for just a couple years. Luckily, I did some research that disclosed the fact that some of the electronic pads ‘crystallize’ internally. Also, sometimes you can get them to work (temporarily again) by applying heat from a hair dryer on them. Fortunately this trick worked for me. I was then able to order a new keypad and replace it myself without too much trouble.
Ive had both electronic pads and dial style and prefer electronic. I’m in and out of my safes often and I find the electronic so much quicker.

BladeRimfire

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 safes with electronic locks. Never had an issue. I am very fortunate having so for the ability to change the code when I so desire

If you go electronic, treat the keypad like an open jug of gasoline. I have carpet in the room before my safe and had built up a static charge. Zapped the keypad and the top half no longer worked. Ruined a night at the range, but had a backup mechanical key(that I couldn't find that night).