WTS Gun Selling Process

Pasayten

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy fall everyone! I am wondering how much of a pain in the ass it is to sell a firearm online via rokslide classifieds or any other online platform. I know a lot of people are doing it, I just don't know the process for everything to be legit. I am wanting to sell a Tikka T3 superlight 308 win with Tally rings, reloading dies and component brass/bullets. I have both a standard black stock and a tikka mossy oak stock with a limb saver on it. The camo stock has a reduced LOP of 13.25". Before I get into the price, components and adding pics, I just wanted to know how much of a headache this would be. Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

ODB

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You agree to price, buyer pays, the rifle gets shipped to an FFL local to the buyer. FFL does background check and transfers rifle per the rules.

generally buyers have an FFL they have worked with who have the process nailed down - they will contact you for the details. Don’t piss them off or fail to follow their directions to the letter.

Shoot

FNG
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've bought and sold and it is relatively painless, and what I did was just as ODB described.

Bkottke35

WKR
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Same as above. Pretty painless. I’ve bought and sold off here quite a few times and all transactions have been very smooth. Had one supposed buyer, not show up at FFL after saying he would. Just make sure you are both comfortable with the transaction and hopefully the buyer/seller can provide references to precious transactions here or elsewhere.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
All the comments made so far are pretty spot on. The key to a successful/painless is to communicate clearly buyer/seller and make sure both parties are clear as to the condition of the the firearm, how the entire transaction will proceed. Misunderstanding and unrealized expectations lead to problems on either side of the transaction. There is a certain amount of trust involved so anything that you can do to exchange/communicate helps. Also make sure the method of payment is clearly understood and agreed to by both parties. Just a note on payment. Be especially careful if PayPal is considered a viable payment option. They clearly state that it is against their rules to pay for certain items, especially anything that goes bang. There are a kinds of horror stories about people who have had issues. People use them all the time. I’m just saying that if you consider certain payment methods be very discreet in identifying what is being bought/sold. It’s not nor should it be a painful experience. After all, it is totally legal if done correctly. You’re doing the sensible thing by asking if not familiar with the process. Good look and hope everything goes well for you.

Gutshotem

WKR
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Something else to remember is to make sure the receiving FFL will accept from an individual. If not you'll need to take the rifle to a local FFL for shipping so that'll be another cost.

CO2130

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’d be interested in just the barreled action or the rifle w/ black stock if/when you’re ready to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
what is the best method of payment for a buyer or seller?

PayPal FF and Venmo is shady. USPS MO order is slow. What do people like for firearms?

OXN939

WKR
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what is the best method of payment for a buyer or seller?

PayPal FF and Venmo is shady. USPS MO order is slow. What do people like for firearms?

This. Is there a hole in the market for a 2A-friendly Paypal alternative? Cause man, that is a lot of dollars moving around on a daily basis

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info here. I've never done it either and been curious. Is there any thing to know about shipping? Can you just package in a box and take to a FedEx, UPS or USPS?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Great info here. I've never done it either and been curious. Is there any thing to know about shipping? Can you just package in a box and take to a FedEx, UPS or USPS?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Based on shipping guns for repair it will have to go FedEx or UPS to the other FFL. It will also have to go to a company owned central distribution center, not a franchise store or pickup site. There is a form to fill out and they will make you send it 1 or 2 day air = $$$. It isn’t hard but for me it is a 30 minute one-way drive.

Afhunter1

WKR
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Based on shipping guns for repair it will have to go FedEx or UPS to the other FFL. It will also have to go to a company owned central distribution center, not a franchise store or pickup site. There is a form to fill out and they will make you send it 1 or 2 day air = $$$. It isn’t hard but for me it is a 30 minute one-way drive.

I have shipped USPS (not pistols) and also have given UPS & FedEx drivers guns. Also have dropped off at independent stores and shipped “ground” a lot. Never filled out any forms. Someone isn’t telling you right. I’ve shipped 100 guns prob.

You agree to price, buyer pays, the rifle gets shipped to an FFL local to the buyer. FFL does background check and transfers rifle per the rules.

generally buyers have an FFL they have worked with who have the process nailed down - they will contact you for the details. Don’t piss them off or fail to follow their directions to the letter.

There is no transfer. Just a background check. Rifles aren’t registered to anyone.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have shipped USPS (not pistols) and also have given UPS & FedEx drivers guns. Also have dropped off at independent stores and shipped “ground” a lot. Never filled out any forms. Someone isn’t telling you right. I’ve shipped 100 guns prob.
hmmmm.

sounds like you have far more experience than I do. Are you an FFL? the rules seem to differ If you are a dealer or maybe do repairs. I am honestly not sure. My only experience is shipping a few handguns for work and a few other firearms for repair.

link for UPS:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page

Link for fedex:

USPS is a little less clear to me. Here is their link:

Bkottke35

WKR
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
from my experience, USPS can ship rifles but not handguns. I’ve always shipped UPS from a main hub, seem to be cheaper than USPS. Super easy process, show up, tell them you’re shipping a rifle. For a sale, they need a copy of the FFL to confirm shipping address. They collect payment for shipping and off it goes. No form to fill out or anything. Handguns are a bit different as they have to go air from what I’m told. I’ve never shipped a handgun so not sure on that. If you’re mailing a rifle it has to go through an FFL and the transfer process. If you’re in Colorado, any sale must process through an FFL for the background check.

wyosteve

WKR
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
For me the biggest pain has been finding the right size box and getting the gun properly packaged with protection for the shipping process. A pistol is pretty easy, a long gun not so much.

Afhunter1

WKR
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
hmmmm.

sounds like you have far more experience than I do. Are you an FFL? the rules seem to differ If you are a dealer or maybe do repairs. I am honestly not sure. My only experience is shipping a few handguns for work and a few other firearms for repair.

link for UPS:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page

Link for fedex:

USPS is a little less clear to me. Here is their link:

I'm not an FFL. I would rather pay someone than have to keep up with the requirements to be an FFL. I have a buddy who is a Gun Smith that only charges me 5 bucks for a nics check, local gun store is 45.

I don't ship many pistols so I didn't comment on shipping them but long guns are just as I stated. No paperwork, just box and go. Copy of FFL in box and I include a copy of my DL too.

Where I work is a daily pickup for UPS and 90% of guns I've shipped I've brought to work and shipped from here.

OP
Pasayten

Pasayten

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your help on this. I really appreciate it! Keep the conversation going though if others have questions, seems like more people than just me are learning some good stuff. CO2130, I'm waiting to hear back from a local about buying the gun for his grandson. I'll let you know either way.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I have shipped long guns via USPS with no issues. Be sure to insure for the full value no matter how it goes. It’s sort of weird that guns ( excluding handguns, can go USPS, but loaded ammo HAS to go via UPS or FEDEX ground. It is a federal offense to ship ammo via USPS. USPS has always asked, based upon the size of the package, if it is a gun. I respond yes, they make the package accordingly, take it and ship it. It cannot be addressed to anything but a legal shipping address. No PO Boxes, etc and must be (to be legal) the official address of the FFL holder you’re shipping to. I always carry a copy of the FFL ( sent to me by the receiptient) in case I have to prove that the packages address matches that on the FFL. Also, be sure to ask for and save any shipping receipts. I always photo and send that to the buyer so that he can see proof of shipment and track the package.