Gun Trade Question

CHSD

WKR
If I agree to trade a gun to someone and they agree to trade me a gun back but we live in different states, is there a way to ensure the guns get sent. I know they have to be sent via FFL, but in worried that I send my gun and he never sends his. Is there any protection against that or would I just be SOL?

I have not made a trade yet. Just curious on the process.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Agree to pay each other the same small fee thru PayPal? Like 20 bucks. You’d have a trail if something happened.

rob86jeep

WKR
Agree to pay each other the same small fee thru PayPal? Like 20 bucks. You’d have a trail if something happened.
Good idea, but if I was worried about it I would agree to pay each other what you think the guns are worth, so you have recourse instead of just a paper trail. If you each pay $600 friends and family (edited: I meant goods and services. I would never use PayPal with a stranger to send friends and family), then your out 3% but you have the security if something goes wrong. Or at least a little bit of security since PayPal doesn't allow gun sales.

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
Or you make the agreement that both guns have to be sent from an FFL to your FFL. Probably cost you an extra $30 but then the FFL is on the hook and I doubt if he wants to screw with his license for not sending a gun.

Good idea, but if I was worried about it I would agree to pay each other what you think the guns are worth, so you have recourse instead of just a paper trail. If you each pay $600 friends and family, then your out 3% but you have the security if something goes wrong. Or at least a little bit of security since PayPal doesn't allow gun sales.

First off there is no coverage when paying friends and family. Second PayPal is extremely anti gun and if something goes wrong and they end up figuring out what the payments are for you are def SOL. I would say you both use a business type FFL , not a friend that has an FFL. Each contact the respective FFL with instructions to not proceed with transfers until both of you have verified receiving. If you can’t arrange it I wouldn’t do it. Just not worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I would never agree to a trade like that without talking to the person on the phone. After a phone conversation to get a feel for who I am dealing with I would ask to send FFL to FFL and request the dealers handle it from there. If he is trying to screw you, you will know it by then.

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
Also, I would find some reason to need to see pictures of some specific part of the rifle so that he has to send specific pictures proving he actually owns the rifle and didn’t just download some google images.

beginner

FNG
Check out the person on the forum if that is how you found him. How long has he been a member, number of transactions in the past, and is he on the blacklist for the forum.

archp625

WKR
I would never trade a gun to someone that I don't feel comfortable with. Like someone else said, I would talk to them on the phone and see if they have a Facebook account where you can see what kind of person they are. If somewhere in the process i didn't get a good feeling I wouldn't do it.

Another thought is call the FFL and see if they know who the guy is. Most guys are known at there gun store.

Shrek

WKR
Whatever you do don’t involve PayPal. If there’s a dispute they will simply seize your account with any money in it. Without a decent trade track record you can verify on this or another forum , a voice call , and a unique picture you request I wouldn’t trade. Still there is plenty of risk and you must be prepared to lose the rifle or any money.

OP
C

CHSD

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate it. I definitely will be calling them to see if we can work something out. If not, I won't do it as I do not want to get into a bad situation.

Vandy321

WKR
I've done this with a pistol. Recommend this...drop it at your nearest reputable FFL/Gun Shop. Pass your FFLs contact info to the trader. Ask your FFL to hold shipment you confirm details with the traders FFL. Call the FFL on the other end, explain the pending trade, and confirm the gun is as advertised and that they intend to ship to your FFL. Them, give the go ahead to ship..and ensure you get tracking on the other end as well.

That's about all you can do. PayPal won't help you with firearms.

Last edited: