Gut meat

Seems like this should be the community of integrity....both in the field and out. Ethical hunting and ethical approach to those that have less experience with game. Lead by example.

OkieElk

FNG
If they weren’t being charged anything, and they got two free elk off private land, I’d say it’s a fair trade to get the tenderloins and let them half the rest. I ought to start implementing that rule when people hunt deer on my place!

It also sounds like he cleaned the elk for them?? Those greenhorns got a good deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My uncle in NW MT hosted a couple newbies on a late season hunt. They shot two cows that they could get to with the tractor. After hanging them in the shed, my uncle cut out the tender loins and threw them in the snow bank. "Why'd you do that?" They asked.

He said "well, that's the GUT MEAT, its the first thing that goes bad, and if you leave it in it will spoil the rest of the meat".
"Oh, good, get rid of that" they said. Of course, as soon as they walked away, the tender loins went into the fridge.

Just opened the last pack of WY whitetail gut meat. This always makes me smile.

Share your favorite gut meat recipe!
[

What a jerk. Not a very good ambassador for the sport when showing newbies the ropes. Should have shown them the value of the fillet mignon instead of being selfish and filling his gut. With people like this we don't enemies of the sport we are making them. :eek:

I either fry them or sear them. No matter what they are cooked rare to extra rare. Get the full flavor of the meat and much more tender.

What a jerk. Not a very good ambassador for the sport when showing newbies the ropes. Should have shown them the value of the fillet mignon instead of being selfish and filling his gut. With people like this we don't enemies of the sport we are making them. :eek:

X2. It’s these things that gives all hunters a bad name. On a podcast a man said he had a total of two pounds of waste. Now he boils the bones to make broth and not sure what he did with the guts but I intend on pursuing this.

To the comments above, they were neither paying clients or friends. They "self invited" to hunt on his land, as he owns some river bottom ground where the elk come down in the winter. Like I said, newbies looking for an easy late season hunt. But hey, thanks for the input.

How do you self invite to hunt private land? Couldn’t the land owner just say no instead of trying to get even later?

This thread, and its responses, makes me think the guy posting his reasons for leaving Rokslide may have been more valid than I originally thought.

I have heard the OP told at least a half dozen different times over the years with very slighlty changed story line specifics. My response was applicable to the joke as told.

You analogy is far from the same thing as you say. If you are going to go in the field with the intent to kill an animal, you have a responsibility to know what parts of the animal that are considered food. Read the wanton waste regs in any reg book in the country. That in no way compares to your dentist pulling a tooth vs filling it.

I guess it’s crazy to think someone might teach a person something instead of taking advantage of them?

You can read forums, books, regs, how to’s, etc. all day. It can still be helpful to learn in the moment rather than being taken advantage of because of inexperience.

If they weren’t being charged anything, and they got two free elk off private land, I’d say it’s a fair trade to get the tenderloins and let them half the rest. I ought to start implementing that rule when people hunt deer on my place!

It also sounds like he cleaned the elk for them?? Those greenhorns got a good deal.

A trade would imply that both parties consented. Sounds more like someone with experience took advantage of two people without as much experience.

Btaylor

WKR
I guess it’s crazy to think someone might teach a person something instead of taking advantage of them?

You can read forums, books, regs, how to’s, etc. all day. It can still be helpful to learn in the moment rather than being taken advantage of because of inexperience.

What part of that being a joke are you not comprehending? If we are going to "learn in the moment" as you say, maybe we need to pay attention to what is said.

What part of that being a joke are you not comprehending? If we are going to "learn in the moment" as you say, maybe we need to pay attention to what is said.

What part of the OP’s follow up statement about the two individuals “inviting themselves to hunt” so his uncles actions were justified are you not comprehending? That doesn’t read like a joke to me.

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider

Well I was hoping that it was a joke and please understand that I wasn't trying to be mean to someone's family member. But I know more than most that you choose your friends, but are born into your family. Nevertheless, I thought I should get a little self-righteous and point out that we ought to be ambassadors for the sport that we love. Remember, that an avalanche begins with a snowflake. Harmless jokes desensitizes the issue and not recognizing that there are new hunters that are neophytes that need to be taught and not ridiculed, taken advantage of, or otherwise belittled. Remember that not everyone grew up with a slingshot in the crib, a BB gun before they could ride a bike and so on. By the way I was one that lived outdoors all day long and use to poke fun at those not as accomplished as myself. Obviously, I had a big head and with age I think that I have learned a thing or two. Maybe not, you be the judge.

TreyPound

FNG
No biggie. When gut shot the skin usually protects the meat. Field dress it, rinse it out well and skin it. Should be no poblem. If you nick the stomack or intestine, same thing. I have never had any problems with it. I have nicked the viseral organs while field dressing and have never thought twice about keeping the meat.

ace4

FNG
We always call them the stink tubes. Newbies never risk ruining their meat with stink tubes. The look on their face when we serve it to them is always great. Of course I never tell them the "secret" to preparing them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk