Haflinger for a hunting horse?

WyoHuntr

FNG
I've once again found myself looking at an animal I know nothing about. I posted for a new horse and someone offered up a 14hand Haflinger. Are they pretty slow or do some have a little motor on them??? Do they have the gas tank to be hauling a 200lb dude loaded down with gear for a week plus?? I mostly need one for solo hunting, but I'm worried about leading one behind my mule. I worry about one keeping up with my mule, because he can really travel.

Last edited:

sro914

FNG
haflingers are short and stout. They are definitely tough enough but the difference in gate between that and a good traveling mule may not be a great combo. If you are still looking to purchase it may be worth taking your mule to the horse and leading for a mile or two to see how they work together speed wise. My brother rides a Fjord that is very similar to haflinger she is tough and goes all day but her next to my mule who is 16 hands they dont travel the same pace for sure.

Fordguy

WKR
It really depends on the halflinger, some are bred for driving, and they tend to have a little more pep. I've seen some that would probably fit the bill that you're describing. As others have said, probably best to take your mule and try him out for a few miles.