Hammond Game Getter

robtattoo

WKR
Anybody else use these for small game opportunities while big game hunting?

For those that might not know, it's a Super low power cartridge system, using a specially machined, full length cartridge (caliber to match your rifle) a swaged round ball & .22 nailgun blank.
My .308 running a green blank gets about 700fps & with my usual 200yd zero, is dead on at 32yds. Accuracy runs about ¾" at that distance.

20190521_102628.jpg20190521_102638.jpg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m going to order one, it would be nice to be able to plug ptarmigans here and there when I’m in the mountains and it have to pack along my 22 revolver.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
What is accuracy like at longer distances?

I haven't really shot for accuracy beyond 50, but my .308 shoots around an inch. I have one in '06my as well that's a smidge better (same twist, longer barrel, better scope).
The guy who turned me onto these reckons he gets about the same inch at 50.
At 100, just messing around not really trying, I can put 4/5 into a 6" ring.
I found that the brown blanks give me my best accuracy. They're slow, but more than enough to pop a bunny at 50yds.
They're definitely a short range proposition!

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have one but I occasionally handload a single buckshot in my .30 calibers. An empty .22LR shell full of Unique is the propellant. Good way to reuse otherwise junk brass that is at the end of its lifespan.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Fyi: the copper washed buck shot works great at green + blank velocities. Below that (brown/red blanks) straight lead seems to perform the best.
I spent 4 hours in the back yard today, tooling around with my .308 LWH.
Copper washed is consistently the most accurate above 700fps. Below that, pure lead .32 round balls win. Pulled 00 lead buckshot isn't as accurate as cast .32s with the brown blanks.

Doing some serious bench testing today revealed that my 200yd zero produces dead-nuts bullseyes at 47yds with green blanks & copper shot. Average group was .68"
Brown blanks & swaged pure lead .32 balls were dead nuts at 34yds & gave me a sub ½" group for 10 shots.

Copper loads with brown blanks have identical results.

Pure lead with greens were all over the place at 47. Like, 3 shots in a 4" triangle.

Sorry to be offish, but until I posted this thread, I'd never really done anything out of my yard, without any proper support. Now I've messed about a bit, I'd confidently say that for green blanks, find copper 12ga shells & pull the shot. For brown blanks, pure lead is the way to go.
Coming from the UK & being legally restricted to hunting rabbits with 16gn .22 pellets at 700fps, I can confidently recommend either/both for small game.

abf1021

FNG
Robtatoo,

Do you know if this bloke still makes these?

Thanks,
Alan (Sapp's brother-in-law)