Handgun questions inspired by the 22 mag for bear podcast

RussDXT

WKR
Since the podcast thread centers around the newest podcast and the handgun discussion seems to still be ongoing I figured I would start a new thread based around handgun questions that this brought up.

I’m considering selling my 10mm’s and 44 mags and going all 9mm and 45 (I don’t feel the 45 is ideal, but I like reloading it, and love the 1911).

Mostly these questions are directed @Formidilosus but would appreciate the input of any rokslider.

So my initial questions.

1. Looking to add an Sig Macro 365(already have the standard). Go comp or no comp? Is the psa micro dagger comped a viable option here as well?

2. Seeing high praise for the staccatos, how do they compare to the Wilson Combat edc x9’s?

3. What type of maintenance is recommended on a pistol that sees a lot of carry and shot several times a month?

4. In hunting environments I have opted for Glocks over Sigs due to perceived reliability. Is this unfounded or accurate?

Thanks!

No form here and definitely not an expert on anything firearm related,just an average guy but for me Glock all day over sig and what I would pick in crappy environments or to defend my family.
I do want a Langdon 92 just cause there sweet.
10mm g20 over my g45 just for the legality in my state if I want to actually harvest a animal with it.
I love my g45,favorite pistol.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
No form here and definitely not an expert on anything firearm related,just an average guy but for me Glock all day over sig and what I would pick in crappy environments or to defend my family.
I do want a Langdon 92 just cause there sweet.
10mm g20 over my g45 just for the legality in my state if I want to actually harvest a animal with it.
I love my g45,favorite pistol.

I’ve taken a whitetail with my g20. It was at 25 yds, chest shot, ran about 25 yds and collapsed. Decent exit.

Using 185 xtp with 8.6 grns of 800x.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Since the podcast thread centers around the newest podcast and the handgun discussion seems to still be ongoing I figured I would start a new thread based around handgun questions that this brought up.

I’m considering selling my 10mm’s and 44 mags and going all 9mm and 45 (I don’t feel the 45 is ideal, but I like reloading it, and love the 1911).

Mostly these questions are directed @Formidilosus but would appreciate the input of any rokslider.

So my initial questions.

1. Looking to add an Sig Macro 365(already have the standard). Go comp or no comp?

Comp helps a bit. Does make them louder.

Is the psa micro dagger comped a viable option here as well?

Viable is relative. If it works, it works, but I haven’t used enough to say across the board.

2. Seeing high praise for the staccatos, how do they compare to the Wilson Combat edc x9’s?

Depends on whether you are talking about the P or CS? Reliability wise all three (P, CS, EDC X9) are reliable enough for serious use. The issue with the X9 is the grip shape- they took the best grip for shooting (1911) and rounded it to make it a Beretta. Due to that, for me the X9 is not an option.

The Staccatos that use the legacy STI 45 mags, make sure you get Gen 3 Staccota mags only and use Atlas 18% mag springs. Then they are very reliable.

The CS models are better pistols. Proper external extractor, true 9mm magazine.

3. What type of maintenance is recommended on a pistol that sees a lot of carry and shot several times a month?

Grin…

Staccato P with then 60,000’ish rounds without ever being cleaned.

IMG_7741.jpeg

IMG_7747.jpeg

IMG_7745.jpeg

IMG_7739.jpeg

IMG_7737.jpeg

IMG_7736.jpeg

4. In hunting environments I have opted for Glocks over Sigs due to perceived reliability. Is this unfounded or accurate?

Thanks!

Generally unfounded. 9mm Sig P365’s and P320’s are service level reliable. Replace the recoil springs every 5k’ish rounds though.

ElPollo

WKR

Viable is relative. If it works, it works, but I haven’t used enough to say across the board.

Depends on whether you are talking about the P or CS? Reliability wise all three (P, CS, EDC X9) are reliable enough for serious use. The issue with the X9 is the grip shape- they took the best grip for shooting (1911) and rounded it to make it a Beretta. Due to that, for me the X9 is not an option.

The Staccatos that use the legacy STI 45 mags, make sure you get Gen 3 Staccota mags only and use Atlas 18% mag springs. Then they are very reliable.

Grin…

View attachment 695102

View attachment 695103

View attachment 695104

View attachment 695105

View attachment 695106

View attachment 695107

Generally unfounded. 9mm Sig P365’s and P320’s are service level reliable. Replace the recoil springs every 5k’ish rounds though.
Has EPA considered that gun for a Superfund site? You might consider a lead test for yourself if you regularly eat or pick your nose after using that thing. Seriously though, I used to think I needed to clean my handguns regularly, but every stoppage issue I’ve had could be resolved with application of lube.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR

Grin…

View attachment 695102

View attachment 695103

View attachment 695104

View attachment 695105

View attachment 695106

View attachment 695107

That p is awesome! In your opinion is the comp worth additional loudness for flatter shooting?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Has EPA considered that gun for a Superfund site? You might consider a lead test for yourself if you regularly eat or pick your nose after using that thing.

That gun was to see how reliable and tolerant the new Staccatos were compared to Glocks and other service pistols. Once the mags were sorted out, and especially with Atlas plus 18% mag springs- the 20 or so that I’ve seen used heavily are as reliable as any service pistol when shot side by side. That gun stopped locking back on an empty mag somewhere around 20,000 rounds because there is a 1/4” of carbon built up around the slide lock, but otherwise runs like a top.

Seriously though, I used to think I needed to clean my handguns regularly, but every stoppage issue I’ve had could be resolved with application of lube.

Ha. 2011’s and 1911’s need lube. I rarely lube a Glock 19/17, only infrequently Sig P320’s, but 1911/2011’s need to be moist in certain spots at all times.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That p is awesome! In your opinion is the comp worth additional loudness for flatter shooting?

Ehhh. It seems to help visually with people using dots, but I can’t say for the vast majority of people that their performance is any better.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
Ehhh. It seems to help visually with people using dots, but I can’t say for the vast majority of people that their performance is any better.

That makes it an easier choice. I’m not opposed to a dot but having guns with them I can’t say it’s a lot better.

Do you run any lube in your staccato or just run it?

ElPollo

WKR
That gun was to see how reliable and tolerant the new Staccatos were compared to Glocks and other service pistols. Once the mags were sorted out, and especially with Atlas plus 18% mag springs- the 20 or so that I’ve seen used heavily are as reliable as any service pistol when shot side by side. That gun stopped locking back on an empty mag somewhere around 20,000 rounds because there is a 1/4” of carbon built up around the slide lock, but otherwise runs like a top.

Ha. 2011’s and 1911’s need lube. I rarely lube a Glock 19/17, only infrequently Sig P320’s, but 1911/2011’s need to be moist in certain spots at all times.
I don’t let mine get that grungy but you’re right about Glocks in that they run dry just fine. My P365 will occasionally fail to extract after a few hundred rounds, but shucks them right out after I add a little lube.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Cool, I’m pulling my slide and lining my staccatos every 200 rds or so. Seems to be working so far.

I don’t even do that- about every 500 rounds a drop of oil behind hammer, a drop in front of hammer, a drop in each rail groove in the slide, a drop on the barrel hood and one on the muzzle.