Hands Free Backpacking / Backcountry Rifle Sling

.30WCF

FNG
So here is something I’ve been testing the last two years. It’s kind of like Randy’s gun bearer, but it integrates a normal sling with a neoprene grip with a pack sling.

I couldn’t find just what I wanted, so I set up the sewing machine in the sweat shop, and had my 9 year old make (4) for my hunting group. Last years were adjustable with longer pigtails ( bottom pic ) and were adjustable in length. This year I’m running a fixed attachment point on the shoulder strap.

Those of you that are into backpacking may appreciate the sling. Those of you who don’t backpack will surely be amazed by my agility and grace in the tumbling and cheer arena. I’ve been thinking about American Ninja Warrior.

4f617ecc7f56f53b3bb63496bc967fa4.jpg

928dff13834af94d5b1bb9d4aa3a2ec3.jpg

2c666d79a27513d2f6247bfdf85759e1.jpg

e5a1de9416b728249d2b23def3e3630d.jpg

7428378773a89e69b6d0213254e50fca.jpg

32fcaa46fd07b0d6b46c7fd4eb11f75f.jpg

627148ebd063df8f679ebd7279ef96da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the quick deployment of the rifle you demonstrated! Whether overnight backpacking or day hunting from the truck, I'm usually wearing a backpack as well as my chest pack, constantly stopping and looking at things with my binos so I'm not sure it would work for me having the rifle hanging out in front like that. Other than that I think it's a cool and simple setup you made. I am currently trying to come up with a sling retention system using the same magnetic connectors that I use to connect my fishing chest pack to my net lanyard - so the rifle will not slide off my shoulder but can still be deployable. I'll post up if it works well. Thanks for sharing this!

OP
.30WCF

.30WCF

FNG
I like the quick deployment of the rifle you demonstrated! Whether overnight backpacking or day hunting from the truck, I'm usually wearing a backpack as well as my chest pack, constantly stopping and looking at things with my binos so I'm not sure it would work for me having the rifle hanging out in front like that. Other than that I think it's a cool and simple setup you made. I am currently trying to come up with a sling retention system using the same magnetic connectors that I use to connect my fishing chest pack to my net lanyard - so the rifle will not slide off my shoulder but can still be deployable. I'll post up if it works well. Thanks for sharing this!

I use the FHF bino harness and have the rangefinder hanging off the side of it. It’s no issue for me.

My favorite part is your 9 year old making these for you. Looks like a good system. What is the non slip stuff sewed on the back side of the slings ?

OP
.30WCF

.30WCF

FNG
Reminds me of the Kifaru GunBearer. Nice work.

Downside to that style of carry ... flagging your hunting partner when climbing slopes!

Valid point, but…

I tend to grab it and point it to the side a little when that is a concern.

That’s a steep incline if I’m actually flagging someone.

If your climbing with your hands and feet, your flagging them either way.

Good thing the guns not loaded until your ready to shoot.

OP
.30WCF

.30WCF

FNG
My favorite part is your 9 year old making these for you. Looks like a good system. What is the non slip stuff sewed on the back side of the slings ?

Oversized mouse pad from Office Depot. It’s probably 16”. The fabric side that the mouse would ride on is towards the sling. The grippy side that would be on the desk is against your shoulder.

OP
.30WCF

.30WCF

FNG
What pouch are you using to hold the butt of the rifle in?

Badlands rifle boot. I find it doesn’t catch the rear sling stud as bad as some of the more fitted ones.

TedO

Lil-Rokslider
Great little invention! Would be easy to set up multiple packs with that as well. Nice work!

asmxxiv

FNG
I like this. Have tried 3 different pack gun bearers and none is perfect. I feel like this is the closest to a simple reattachment to the pack, in the instance where you may have to make an additional move on an animal or group of animals after deploying the rifle.

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
I like that your getting your ROI (Return of investment) out of your kid! I still have many more years until I see that haha!

Jokes aside, looks great!

Elk Racer

FNG
I run the Kifaru set up which this is similar to and works best for me. I really like the sizes of the pocket the rifle sits into. Nice work,