hanging up the badge and gun after 36 years

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hanging up the badge and gun (well not the gun :D) after 36 years in law enforcement. I knew I wanted to be a game warden before I was even junior high I think. When I got out of high school I started (and what was going to be a long haul) college to get my Wildlife Biology degree. I'd work a half year (logging) and then go to school for a half year. After a couple of years of that I went to Plan B.

I joined the Air Force to help pay for school and went into their Security Police Law Enforcement. I entered the Air Force in Butte, Montana and was promptly stationed in Great Falls- oh well I didn't really want to see the rest of the world anyways! :D. After four years, with enough money to finish college I went back to school (University of Montana) with enough money to finish straight through. I was now married and with two children, my grade point average soared (amazing how studying vs partying impacts your GPA!) and graduated in 1988.

I was waiting for a hiring notice from Fish, Wildlife and Parks, but those came very infrequently. I took a job with the USFS as a Wilderness Ranger in the Great Bear and Bob Marshall- great job for me, not so great for my wife with two young children. There was finally a game warden hiring notice and and I applied. I think with my four years of law enforcement with the military and a season and a half as a Wilderness Ranger, helped me land the job.

Twenty four years as a game warden seemed to go by pretty quickly. I spent several years as a sergeant and then several more years as a captain before retiring. Worked with a bunch of great guys and put a hit on a lot of poachers over the years. Spent a lot of time on 4 wheelers, motorcycles, a variety of watercraft, horseback and on foot. Outside as much as possible.

HdgnylJ.jpg

1zD3nrW.jpg

vvGFEQ2.jpg

oXgOHHr.jpg

After retiring as a game warden, I was a little too young to fully retire, so took a contract job with the US Marshal's Service. Still wore a badge and gun, but traded my Wranglers for dress pants and a suit coat- who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!

LTvX76W.jpg

After 8 years (the last two working just part time) it was time to draw my law enforcement career to an end. At the end of December, I pulled the pin for good and joined the ranks of the retired.

I have a very long bucket list and God willing, going to do my best to cross off as much as possible :)

It was a great ride!

KSRkZNy.jpg

ZDR

WKR
What a great career with great memories.
Welcome to the retirement ranks & I hope you find it as rewarding as I do!
Keep racking up the backcountry miles!

Thank you for your service, I appreciate it. Good luck and have fun during your retirement. Start crossing off the bucket list items.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on a great career!! On to the next chapter in the adventure! I've enjoyed your posts and respect your experience in the back country. Now go enjoy retirement and keep us posted on all your new adventures!

RyanC

WKR
Thank-you for your service!! What a great career, much of it Thankless I know, but a necessary and rewarding career nonetheless. Hope retirement treats you well and you keep logging those backcountry miles for as long as you are able.

Cheers!!

Thank you for your service, and thank you for being there as a first responder.

I hope retirement treats you well with lots of fun loving adventure

505Wapiti

WKR
Awesome career! My motto on retirement means working at something I love to do but it sounds like you were able to do that all along. Thank you for your service all the way around, and wish you the best of luck wherever this road takes you. God bless you and your family!

Good Luck on your Retirement. I am working on my second Pension with the local S.O. after 30 years with NOPD (retired full pension). I have no plans to leave here anytime soon, it pays for my Elk Hunting trip to Chama every year.

LandYacht

WKR
Congratulations, don’t forget about those of us still keeping you safe when you’re sleeping now :)

You earned it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk