Hangout shelter for “truck” camping

Tried hot tent (Arctic Oven Igloo + NU-Way stove) camping for MN and WI November deer hunting due to COVID caution at our hunting cabins last year and likely won’t be going back.

weather was relatively mild, so the 2 of us were able to do all of our nightly cooking/drinking outside in comfort. Sometimes it is cold cold, rainy or snowy, and the igloo with cots& stove, while a palace compared to a lot of your tipi set ups for backpacking, can get crowded with gear and has a floor which doesn’t want to get dirty.

Thinking about a non-bulky (weight doesn’t matter) floorless shelter that can sit 3 people on normal height chairs, allow for a heat source (wood stove would be cool). I say non-bulky as I don’t drive a truck, but a CUV @ a small covered trailer & feel maxed out now due to the bulk of AO.

Looks like one of the bigger seek outside tipis or courthouse might work, but are pricey. Also considering a ice fishing hub shelter, which would be less expensive and have better resale value in my area but I think the bigger ones are ~5-6 feet long when folded.

Any thoughts? And no a do-all wall tent isn’t on my list. The igloo is too easy to heat with the nu-way all night.

cnelk

WKR
My buddy had a good idea for something like that -

He took a popup shade canopy, brought roll of shrink wrap and wrapped the whole thing up - then when it was done, he took his knife and cut a slit for a door.

The wood stove thing probably wouldnt work very well, but youd have a place to hang out - with great daylighting! ;)

You could do the whole thing for less than $100

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
We use a 10x20 canopy with vinyl covered material for a roof and all 4 sides. It is not nearly as nice as our canvas wall tents but it didn't cost much and it doesn't require the care of a canvas wall tent. We bolted a makeshift tin stove jack in the back wall. We use a barrel heater from a kit to keep it cozy warm. We cook and eat in the canopy. There is room for a big picnic table to eat on and study maps and tell a few stories. Long post but a fellow could spend a bunch of money and still not do better that a canopy type shelter from Sam's or some other discount store. I bought ours at a yard sale for $20, best 20 bucks I ever spent on a hunting shelter.

They make tents that clip into the frame of shade canopies. My brother has one and we used it on a week long salmon trip. It was pretty cool, quick and easy to set up and had a full bathtub floor and passive ventilation was good since it just clips under the overhang . I don’t remember the brand but I’m sure there’s plenty of them out there I think he said it was about $150. That and a buddy heater is a decent cheap and fast setup.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
If you're in MN or WI, you really need to take a look at Snowtrekker tents. Their larger models check most of your boxes except price, and would be easy to re-sell here. Better yet, you can rent one to at Hard Water Sports in Sandstone, MN or Piragis in Ely, MN.

Ice fishing hub houses are very bulky, but work well otherwise.

OP
H
If you're in MN or WI, you really need to take a look at Snowtrekker tents. Their larger models check most of your boxes except price, and would be easy to re-sell here. Better yet, you can rent one to at Hard Water Sports in Sandstone, MN or Piragis in Ely, MN.

Ice fishing hub houses are very bulky, but work well otherwise.
I’ve considered snowtrekker, but have not thought about renting them as a trial before slapping down $1-$2k. Taking that to the next step, I am actually this weekend hunting ~ 10 miles as the crow flies from Snowtrekker in Solon Springs WI, I should probably ask Duane to see if they will let me check out a model or two.

At the end of the day a similar price point to the larger seek outside shelters, more usable space given a footprint, bulkier packed down, and I’m assuming a quicker setup.

JR Greenhorn

Lil-Rokslider
At the end of the day a similar price point to the larger seek outside shelters, more usable space given a footprint, bulkier packed down, and I’m assuming a quicker setup.
I agree with you on everything but quickness of set up. I have a SO Redcliff Light, and it sets up very quickly. Probably SO's larger models are a bit slower to set up, but not much.

Hard Water Sports' Snowtrekker is an older model, and sets up slower. However, if you know Duane by name, I'm sure you know about the improvements made over the last several years, and maybe it's a toss-up on which would be faster set-up time now.

I bought my SO for packing in, and I still want a Snowtrekker as badly as I have for several years. I'm certain that if I had both, the Snowtrekker would see more use, getting the nod anytime a long pack-in wasn't part of the plan. Canvas is king.

rclouse79

WKR
I just spent 2 nights on the ice in an igloo 949i with a big buddy heater. As long as it isn’t warm enough to rain, it would make an awesome cold weather shelter. It was down in the single digits and I was not able to leave the big buddy on high for very long before we would get too hot, and that was with doors cracked.
I also have an 8 man tipi with a wood stove. It might be a better option if rain is a possibility. I have found the heat from a wood stove is highly variable, although it does add to the experience. Without an insulated shelter, it gets cold fast. A buddy plus a wood stove in a big tipi would be a nice setup. I got the luxe 8 man tipi. Not as high quality as seek outside, but it is a good bang for the buck in my opinion.