Has anyone hunted this ranch?

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Won a Whitetail and hog hunt near at Lazy CK Ranch in Texas with, in an auction. I know this is probably very different than the classic Whitetail hunt, because it's on a ranch, but this will be my first Whitetail hunt and I'm absolutely thrilled. Working with them to find a date for the hunt and wanted to see if anyone has hunted this ranch? I can add other exotics too if I want, if anyone has hunted this ranch any recommendations on other species to hunt? Tempted to give Axis a go as well. Thanks for any help.

BFR

WKR
Congrats on the win. You should have a great time and get a nice buck and hog. Never hunted on these ranchesmyself but had a friend that did, his guide told him which buck he was allowed to shoot as they had “ management” and “ trophy” bucks, big difference. Regardless it’ll be fun. If you have time, go for an exotic as well, you may never have the chance again. Good luck.

Nine Finger Chronicles - Dan Johnson did a couple podcasts with them. So you could listen to them for more information or reach out to Dan directly.

Did they specify what kind of deer you would be able to take (score, sex, number)? My concern is this place is a serious spendy ranch, their prices are in line with most other high class operations, but if the auction didn’t come with any specifics, you may have just won the opportunity to pay more money for a good buck. Also, didn’t see anything on their website about hog hunts. Be very careful as these places will sometimes charge by the pound, or say you get one hog and any more are extra or stuff like that. I guess my bottom line is go in expecting to pay a lot more money for a decent animal.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the win. You should have a great time and get a nice buck and hog. Never hunted on these ranchesmyself but had a friend that did, his guide told him which buck he was allowed to shoot as they had “ management” and “ trophy” bucks, big difference. Regardless it’ll be fun. If you have time, go for an exotic as well, you may never have the chance again. Good luck.

I was thinking the same about the exotics, they have some really interesting species.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Nine Finger Chronicles - Dan Johnson did a couple podcasts with them. So you could listen to them for more information or reach out to Dan directly.

That's awesome, thanks for that info. I will check out that podcast.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Did they specify what kind of deer you would be able to take (score, sex, number)? My concern is this place is a serious spendy ranch, their prices are in line with most other high class operations, but if the auction didn’t come with any specifics, you may have just won the opportunity to pay more money for a good buck. Also, didn’t see anything on their website about hog hunts. Be very careful as these places will sometimes charge by the pound, or say you get one hog and any more are extra or stuff like that. I guess my bottom line is go in expecting to pay a lot more money for a decent animal.

Really good points, and I emailed them about the hog hunt, because I didn't see that on their website either. Although it is texas, they probably through a hog in with every hunt, haha.

The auction item description is a 3day/2night hunt for a typical 8point and a wild hog.

My guess is it's one of their management hunts. According to the website, includes a "bonus" doe, so I'm waiting to hear back about that as well. There wasn't any info on the hogs though.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I am new to Whitetail, having only hunted high sierra mule deer...the rut is in mid Nov. Do I want a pre, during or post rut buck, for edibility?

Last edited:

BFR

WKR
I’ve never noticed any difference taste wise as long as the carcass was cooled down quickly and cared for properly.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never noticed any difference taste wise as long as the carcass was cooled down quickly and cared for properly.

That's good to hear. Out here in Cali we don't really get to hunt the rut, so I don't have much experience with that. I've heard of "rutted-out" bucks being tough and gamey (although I think that's because the hunter probably ruptured the glands in the legs or didn't field dress very well.

come2elmo

WKR
I am new to Whitetail, having only hunted high sierra mule deer...the rut is in mid Nov. Do I want a pre, during or post ruck buck, for edibility?
I wouldn’t get to worried about it. This looks like a quintessentia texas horn hunt. Those critters are probably better cared for then you. As mentioned above I would definitely try and add an axis to your tab. Those are tasty

BFR

WKR
That's good to hear. Out here in Cali we don't really get to hunt the rut, so I don't have much experience with that. I've heard of "rutted-out" bucks being tough and gamey (although I think that's because the hunter probably ruptured the glands in the legs or didn't field dress very well.
Yeah, most of your season close about the time ours opens. I grew up hunting D8 mostly archery, not uncommon to have 90 degree daytimes and 50s overnite. Much prefer here, snow and all.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a typical TX high fence hunt. Just have fun maybe add an exotic or 2. Texas is just different. “ When in Rome”...

Oh absolutely... I have no delusions about what this hunt is...it's more of a herd management opportunity with lux accommodations. This is not something I normally do, in fact I've only done DIY hunting before. I figured why not try it out and since it was an auction, the money goes to a help a great org.

I am new to Whitetail, having only hunted high sierra mule deer...the rut is in mid Nov. Do I want a pre, during or post rut buck, for edibility?

do a pre rut or rut hunt. A post rut hunt will be tougher as the buck will have minimal fat (less than they normally do) and the meat will just be tougher. Pre rut and early rut they won’t be as run down and will be slightly better meat. Having said that, they might not let you take a precious pre-rut or early rut slot.

I have hunted plenty in Texas, and I can tell you there are plenty of us who do not hunt in a small HF. There are some HF places that are huge, and almost as difficult to hunt as a LF places, but the “typical Texas high fence” is nothing more or less than any other state’s penned hunts. They are a business, and south Texas’ reputation forhaving big white tail bucks spurred a lot of high fence ranches, but the majority of Texas is native low fence property.

Congrats on the hunt. It will be fun for sure. Depending on the ranch a management 8 point can end up being a very nice buck.

Hogs are everywhere down here so hopefully you get a pig as well.

If you’re able to, shoot a axis too for some outstanding meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk