never rifle hunted before

OP
S

scottstef

FNG
Actually I didn’t know that the orchards would let you hunt their property, I must live in a cave. Catoctin is not too far from me.
Head on up, they will sign a permission slip for you. (At the same time it’s been 5 years since I lived there, so it might have changed by now.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Ideally you should shoot some different calibers and rifles before making your choice. I think a .223 or a 6.5 CM would make a great first rifle, I would lean towards the .223 because it will also make a good training rifle, because of its low recoil and cheaper ammo.
Some states have a minimum caliber requirement for big fame hunting. That’s why I always recommend 6.5 CM over .223, as .223 doesn’t always qualify for regulations unfortunately.

Gen273

WKR
.308 is a great choice! A Ruger American or Kimber Hunter would make you a great rifle.

slowr1der

FNG
A used Savage 10 or 11 with the accu trigger would be my top choice. Significantly better than the Axis or Ruger American.

The problem is the new 110's have about doubled in cost while going down in quality.

If you don't want to look for a used rifle, and need something new the Ruger American is probably the best choice out of the budget rifles.

Vern400

WKR
The Howa is solid and accurate. Lower cost than Tikka but not cheap as an Axis. 308 is solid. Not too much, and it's enough gun to allow consistent performance with a well placed shot with most any presentation. There are a number of good choices. It's a little punchy if the gun ready to shoot is under 8 lbs. But not bad.

I laugh at the .223 comments. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. The OP stated that he's never rifle hunted. A lot of practice and precision may work for those used to rifle hunting, but I wouldn't lean on the caliber for an "oh $h!T" shot.

I've rifle hunted since I was 9. I wouldn't use a .243, nor suggest one for a first time user. .270 and up to me.
I think the .308 is a great round and it's what I primarily use. Savage Axis or Ruger American would be my vote depending on budget. I currently have a Browning X-bolt in .308 I won at a DU event.

30-30 Lever action with a 3-9 scope would work well too depending on your shot distances, but not a well rounded caliber if you decide to venture out West or other parts of the deer world with longer shot ranges.

Federal Premium 150 grain Nosler Partitions are lights out of my gun.

Good luck!