Haul Road gear exchange?

thayerp81

FNG
I hope this isnt against the rules, please remove if it's not appropriate but as I'm making plans for my dad and I to take a trip up the Haul Road for caribou this fall I wondered if it might help us and some others out if we had a "gear exchange" list. I know there are a few things that are essential to buy but most people dont/cant take back with them. If we had enough people going we might be able to work it out where one group going out could sell/ exchange items with another group just coming in.

I'm think this would be for stuff like
gas cans
bow target
extra, unused coolers
buddy heaters
propane tanks
isobutane
etc.

thoughts?

were going to be flying in to Fairbanks very early AM on Aug 21 and will be getting on the road sometime that morning, will be back in town on Aug 31 and flying out very late night Sept 1

we will definitely have at a minimum
gas cans
bow target
maybe a buddy heater and propane if its cold
likely some leftover isobutane

I'll be going through Fairbanks on my way there around that time frame and if nobody takes you up on it I might be interested in buying a few things from you depending on what you have.

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I have all that stuff you're more than welcome to borrow - only problem is that I'm in Anchorage. I'll be up there a ton this fall, but no solid dates yet.

Geewhiz

WKR
I have all that stuff you're more than welcome to borrow - only problem is that I'm in Anchorage. I'll be up there a ton this fall, but no solid dates yet.
Is this a part of your business or a personal gesture? If its not part of your business I bet you could make it part of your business very easily.

OP
T

thayerp81

FNG
Thanks Sam, I appreciate the offer! I'll try touching base with you a little closer to trip time. I also reserved a vehicle with you some time back but I need to reach out to make sure the reservation is OK (long story, but got a strange notification and call from the Fairbanks location where we'll be picking up)

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
I met some guys a year or two ago who had a bunch of chairs, fuel, and whatnot they bought and didn't intend on taking home, I didn't need them but figured taking them was better than having them thrown into the firepit or just left as garbage which unfortunately happens more than it should. I think it would be great if there was a place or business to swap/leave stuff for others to use. I too am in anchorage or would be happy to assist.

I always thought if a few like minded guys could pitch in on a cheap storage unit in Fairbanks it could have you name it in there .

There is a Facebook group called borrow don’t buy. This is a great idea but logistics. Let’s say you got something for me but we have a day or two gap…where does stuff get stored.

Good luck but man would it suck to get a canister of fuel to have it run out 1/2 way through my trip. Lol

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I just looked at my calendar and it looks like I'm departing Anchorage around August 31st and headed up to PRU then. If anyone needs anything around that time, I'll be available. I'll be up for a week or so. I can meet up with anyone generally at any time as I'll be checking on our customers within a couple hours of PRU. I usually camp around Pump Station 2. Message me for my InReach # and I can help out! Or message me here and I can plan accordingly on extra gear to bring.

We'll be back to Fairbanks on August 17th and will probably have a few things if anyone needs gas cans or extra camp fuel or whatnot.