Havalon replacement blades??

AlexK

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know of any off brand or other replacement blades for the havalon piranta knives that might be better than the orignal?

Nothing I have found comes close to the Havalon blades. Havalon seem to be sharper and hold an edge longer than any other hunting brand manufacturer. I have not tried ordering medical company blades.

jmez

WKR
Medical company blades are all over the place for quality.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have not tried ordering medical company blades.

I tried regular medical scalpel blades almost 40 years ago. They started out really sharp but they dulled so fast that I was even reluctant to try the Havalon when it came out. The Havalon blades are light years better than the old scalpel blades. Maybe the medical ones have gotten better as well.

hodgeman

WKR
Everyone's mileage varies a bit but I really like the #60XT blades

I can go through 2 deer or 1 caribou on a single blade or through a moose with 2 blades. That's pretty good in my book.

Can’t beat the Havalon blades, 2 complete whitetail done with a single blade no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk88

FNG
The 60a blades are what your looking for. You can thank me later.
I would second this recommendation, they are considerably stronger than the 60XT. I still use the 60XT for filleting fish since the edge seems a little sharper but for big game the 60A is perfect.

Out of curiosity, are your blades becoming dull quickly, snapping, etc.?
That's probably the worst thing, a snapped blade. I snapped a few and you have to immediately stop and find the piece usually covered in blood before you get severely cut. A dropped knife from the standing position can also be dangerous. I have the smaller model and the filet. But I always keep a fixed blade standard knife or two in the pack in case. I put the used blades back in the packaging to keep from tearing up gear and dispose of at home, not a camp fire.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dk88

FNG
I have found the 60A blades are fairly tough, still you have to use common sense. On deer and antelope all I use is the havalon, on elk I have had better luck using a stiff fixed blade for the cutting the hide around the neck and separating the hind quarters.

I can usually pack out a deer with the same 60A blade and use 3 or so blades on an elk.