Havalon Saw

Another vote for silky saws. I have a folding one that is very lightweight(5oz), and rips though wood. Haven't gotten to try it on bone yet.

It performs much better than my Kershaw and gerber saws. There are comparison videos on YouTube between a silky and the bahco Laplander.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
I have used my Silky Gomboy on bone, wood. It works great. Very durable and the blade stays sharp for a very long time. I have been interested in the Pocketboy. But it is not much lighter than the Gomboy, so having the extra blade length of the Gomboy seems worth it. I think my next one is going to be the Katanaboy. Not really for backpacking, but the Katanaboy just looks awesome! They claim it can keep pace with a chainsaw!

OP
D

direwolf

FNG
Wow! Those are some lightweight saws. Do they work pretty well and where can I find one?

http://www.goldgear.co/saws.html

Keep in mind that I haven't ordered anything from there and can't endorse them. I learned of their products and bookmarked the website a while back. They are obviously obsessed with shaving ounces and grams. If anyone does contact them and has info to share, please post it up prominently. For that matter, I'd appreciate a pm with the details. Thanks.

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
http://www.goldgear.co/saws.html

Keep in mind that I haven't ordered anything from there and can't endorse them. I learned of their products and bookmarked the website a while back. They are obviously obsessed with shaving ounces and grams. If anyone does contact them and has info to share, please post it up prominently. For that matter, I'd appreciate a pm with the details. Thanks.

I did a short review here, post #38 http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...tarp-(a-few-options)/page2&highlight=nokogiri

JP100

WKR
I lost my tried and true Kershaw folding saw on my last hunting trip and am looking to replace it with a lighter weight saw. Does anyone have any experience with the Havalon saw with the replaceable blades? I would be wanting it for use on cutting off ankles/hooves, cutting skull plates and the occasional small tree or branch.

Do any of the scalpel blades they make fit on the saw handle so that I could swap between the saw blades and scalpel blades?

My last client had some of these saw blades to fit on his 'barracuta' (I think thats what it is called???) Havelon. I used to to skull cap two Tahr and a Chamois and it worked well. it is only a small saw so you cannot get a long stroke but it seemed to 'flex' rather than break and was easy to use. would be good for deer sized animals and at a pinch elk, would be abit slow on a moose. Im pretty rough and I didnt break it so I think they are good for the weight and size. you could just swap the knife and saw blades over.

P.S you know you can cut through the ankle joint without a saw...............

I have one and it works great. It is lightweight and cuts pretty quickly. I have only used it in one skull plate, but it worked well. Also, the elk dropped in the middle of a multi-trunk tree and I couldn't get him out. The saw cut through all of the 2 to 3" trunks. I cut down the tree to get to the elk and then Got busy. It worked like a charm.

jherald

WKR
Used the Gerber Myth fixed blade hunting saw last year. Compact, has a T handle to get serious grip and leverage and a plastic scabbard, I believe the blade is 10 inches and overall weight is about 3.9 ounces. A little slow getting through a Dall Sheep skull but, its a trade-off for being lightweight. Did well on Brown Bear bones. Worked great on smaller wood for spike camp fires. Best compact hunting saw I've found yet. Cheap too I picked up mine for 20 bucks shipped last year.

I like Havalon knives but the Havalon saw isnt practical as far I can see for hunting.

Darktimber, could you elaborate which one you have?

I have the green Havalon Baracuta Bone Saw

http://www.amazon.com/Havalon-XTC-115BZSW-GX-Baracuta-Bone-Saw/dp/B00M1SWFXY

You can interchange the saw blade with regular knife blades, but those knife blades are too big for my preference. I carry the saw in my kill kit and also the small Havalon knife with 60A blades for everything else. The 60xt blades work also but I usually break several while butchering an elk. The 60A blades don't break often.

GKPrice

Banned
I agree that for a small folder the Laplander is a great saw... I use it bushcrafting all the time...

However, my saw I use for hunting is the Outdoor Edge:

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Edge-...d=1428002227&sr=8-3&keywords=outdoor+edge+saw

I MUCH prefer the "T" handle for splitting rig cages and skull caps with bloody hands... plus the blade is a little more stout then the laplander and there is no joint to worry about/clean. Done several deer and an elk as well as various shooting lanes and it is still sharp! Very light as well... Highly recommend!
I tried the regular Havalon knife but the blades break too darn easily - as far as lightweight saws go Gerber and Oregon chain make lightweight hand saws that I've watched a number of tree guys literally dismantle HUGE fir trees from the top down - The first time I asked the climber why he didn't have his little chain saw up there ? He said his "wood zig"( I think) was just as good and a whole lot safer and lighter - beware of trying to use a SHARP "fast working" saw in the field, in '89 I very nearly took my thumb off with a break down meat/boning saw (NO MORE) that was a crappy climb out with my thumb throbbing and bleeding - Has anyone tried the Havalon "BOLT" ? it appears to have stronger blades but I have not handled one to verify that

16Bore

WKR
If you use the blades/saw to cut and not pry, they work fine. The 60A's are a tad thicker and just as sharp, both work fine.

Just let the blades do the work. Easy peasy.

MattB

WKR
I tried the regular Havalon knife but the blades break too darn easily - as far as lightweight saws go Gerber and Oregon chain make lightweight hand saws that I've watched a number of tree guys literally dismantle HUGE fir trees from the top down - The first time I asked the climber why he didn't have his little chain saw up there ? He said his "wood zig"( I think) was just as good and a whole lot safer and lighter - beware of trying to use a SHARP "fast working" saw in the field, in '89 I very nearly took my thumb off with a break down meat/boning saw (NO MORE) that was a crappy climb out with my thumb throbbing and bleeding - Has anyone tried the Havalon "BOLT" ? it appears to have stronger blades but I have not handled one to verify that

It took me some time to figure out how to use (and more importantly NOT to use) the Havalon, and I am really happy with it. As said above, the blades are not for prying as they do not take side pressure well.