Have You Ever Notched Your Tag On Opening Day: A poll

Well, have you?

• Of course I have, I'm a WKR elite dirt nap dealer.

• Nope, FNG here just looking for honey holes.

• Never hunted an opening day.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Geewhiz

WKR
When I first started hunting I only hunted rifle season. There were several years that I had animals patterned and "dealt a dirt nap" on the opener. In more recent years I have been primarily archery for elk and generally lay low for the first week or so to let the hoards subside. Then I start dealing the dirt naps after the weekend warrior/opening weekend crowd goes home.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Looking back at my notes roughly 40% of the deer I’ve killed have been on the opening day of rifle season here in PA. So of the 19 years I have hunted 11 of them I got a deer opening day and an additional 3 I got one the second day.

Half of the years I didn’t get one on opening day were the 5 years they removed doe hunting for the first week. Could have killed plenty of doe those years but it wasn’t legal so I had to watch them walk. Only one legal buck crossed my path opening day for those 5 years. The other years were when I was a teenager still figuring things out and the stands I picked weren’t that good.

NMonit

FNG
0/1 first year elk, or any notable hunting ever. Going for 1/2 elk this year in the same unit. A lot of lessons learned. Solo DiY wilderness public draw.

Elkbelch

FNG
Not on opening day but I did get a cow with my bow the first day we arrived at camp. After getting camp set up we decided to hunt the afternoon in a familiar spot. We sat down behind a blowdown and about an hour later the big ole cow came along. It was pretty late when we got the meat on the pole, so much for a relaxing evening after a long drive. It was the day before muzzleloader season and my dad had drawn a muzzy tag. I went along on an OTC archery tag. It was cool having filled my tag to just tag along with him. He got his cow on day 2, I think. Pretty good time just visiting with other hunters at camp and such once the work is done, makes for a nice week long vacation.

5 total hunts, 4 elk down for my crew. 3 of the 4 elk were on opening day, all before noon. The fourth was at sunset on day 9. Hoping to add another tomorrow.

Last edited: