Hawaiian Mouflon Sheep

blue62

FNG
I will be in Hawaii hunting Axis deer and I will have an option to hunt Mouflon sheep as well. Has anyone had experience with Mouflon? Are they more of a trophy hunt or is the meat good? Any info helps!

Tahoe1305

WKR
So I did exactly as you and hunted mouflon on the same weekend I hunted axis. Got a young ram and a young buck.

We blind taste tested it with 3 people. We were surprised but all preferred the ram.

We mounted both of ours.

Both were good. Really fun hunt. Enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
blue62

blue62

FNG
So I did exactly as you and hunted mouflon on the same weekend I hunted axis. Got a young ram and a young buck.

We blind taste tested it with 3 people. We were surprised but all preferred the ram.

We mounted both of ours.

Good to know, thank you!

OP
blue62

blue62

FNG

We mounted both of ours.

Stupid question…what would a “trophy” or mount worthy Mouflon be?

Also, who was the taxidermist?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Stupid question…what would a “trophy” or mount worthy Mouflon be?

Also, who was the taxidermist?
That is 100% up to you and how you want to memorialize your experience out there.

My buddy shot the attached one. Mine was smaller. Both mounted. We used a local place in Oahu. Not sure I’d recommend them.

Attachments

• 59712C75-5488-4B42-97E5-1D8D0731AD38.jpeg
    59712C75-5488-4B42-97E5-1D8D0731AD38.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 102
OP
blue62

blue62

FNG
That is 100% up to you and how you want to memorialize your experience out there.

My buddy shot the attached one. Mine was smaller. Both mounted. We used a local place in Oahu. Not sure I’d recommend them.
Thank you!

chase4545

FNG
I'm doing this hunt in May. Both tag will b in my pocket. Was able to taste both last weekend while staying in Kona. Both are amazing. To be better then beef. I've heard nothing but bad things about goat but want to try it. I've had bad lope and will eat that, so hoping goat isn't as bad as bad lope. I should say this also, I've killed and broken down lope and loved the meat, same care can lead to really bad lopes.

JLMUELZ

FNG
Mouflon taste pretty good. I personally prefer the axis over them but its not far off in my opinion. Hold out for a mature ram or just shoot ewes. This is the first time in a while we have been able to hunt rams so there will be some decent ones walking around.

OP
blue62

blue62

FNG
Mouflon taste pretty good. I personally prefer the axis over them but its not far off in my opinion. Hold out for a mature ram or just shoot ewes. This is the first time in a while we have been able to hunt rams so there will be some decent ones walking around.
Good to know! Will you be hunting this year?

npm352

WKR
They are both good, but different. Mouflon is a strong/mutton taste. Axis is lighter. Both are good. Axis gets alot of well-deserved hype. Mouflon is underrated in my opinion, but is unique enough that some may not like it.

Trap

Lil-Rokslider
I got some axis deer last year and a mouflon sheep on the same hunt. The axis was better eating but the ram was pretty good also. Actually the mouflon was way better than I expected I don’t normally like sheep meat.

I wasn’t impressed with my mouflon…very “sheepy” taste…and a little tough. Dall, rocky and desert are much more mild. It was was better than my audad at least…
But I was in a hurry…shot mine broke it down and 2hrs to the truck in 80deg temp. Got to the ferry with 10min to spare or I would have been sleeping on Lanai. Boned it out on Maui and in the freezer that night. No rigor made it a bit tougher…

This is up my alley, sheep are my favorite to hunt in hawaii, imo under rated. I respect any opinion on the meat topic, I personally eat it year around and enjoy it. What I can educate on is what to look for. Mouflon rams should have a white patch on their back as well as a mane. The manes length is a great indicator of age or just good genetics. When you're eyeballing the horns, pay attention to the compactness of the horn closest to the base. If it is tight compressions, it's mature. Big bold spaced out age rings, it's young. Smooth and out of character, its a deform. 30+ inches in length is a big ram. Mid to high 20s can still be gorgeous animals. Your looking for micky mouse ear horn shapes. A curl that comes up and begins turning into the face. Shooting deforms would also be a great thing for the heard. Lanai has pure bread moufy. I primarily hunt hybrids and must say this opportunity for a non resident, is once in a lifetime IF you can pull it off with a bow.

Attachments

• 20220301_094002.jpg
    20220301_094002.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 77
OP
blue62

blue62

FNG
This is up my alley, sheep are my favorite to hunt in hawaii, imo under rated. I respect any opinion on the meat topic, I personally eat it year around and enjoy it. What I can educate on is what to look for. Mouflon rams should have a white patch on their back as well as a mane. The manes length is a great indicator of age or just good genetics. When you're eyeballing the horns, pay attention to the compactness of the horn closest to the base. If it is tight compressions, it's mature. Big bold spaced out age rings, it's young. Smooth and out of character, its a deform. 30+ inches in length is a big ram. Mid to high 20s can still be gorgeous animals. Your looking for micky mouse ear horn shapes. A curl that comes up and begins turning into the face. Shooting deforms would also be a great thing for the heard. Lanai has pure bread moufy. I primarily hunt hybrids and must say this opportunity for a non resident, is once in a lifetime IF you can pull it off with a bow.
Extremely helpful! Thank you!

So with the white patch on their back…if they have it does that usually mean they are mature? Or is it bigger on mature animals?

Extremely helpful! Thank you!

So with the white patch on their back…if they have it does that usually mean they are mature? Or is it bigger on mature animals?
No I wouldn't think a white patch would have anything to do with maturity, just genetics. However seeing it will atleast tell you you're looking at a ram.