He just cut me off, now what?

EVD

FNG
Shout out to Paul, or anyone else with knowledge, but what do you do when a bull cuts you off? Obviously be ready with an arrow nocked, if not already, but curious as to what has worked for others.

It happened to me last season. I finished my bugle, and think we might have gone back and forth a couple more times. In truth I can't remember exactly how I played it right after getting cut off, so would like to know WWPD (what would Paul do?).

I don’t know who Paul is but I would either rake, go silent if he’s within a 100 yards and move up if I can or just do a very small but mad grunt. Just what I would do. The moving up part in all three scenarios if I’m solo without anyone calling behind me. Again, the 100 yard deal also in all three scenarios, gotta get in their personal space. Many times they are trying to bluff so you can’t get too aggressive and a lot of times they’ll come in silent themselves.

I would hope that my partner who is 100 yards behind me would be smart enough to start raking a tree and I would be looking for legs and antlers while getting ready to draw my bow.

A boy can dream I guess.

Last time I had that very scenario happen my partner shut down the calling thinking that the bull was walking in and the bull walked away. I don't hunt with the guy anymore. I was pretty pissed about it. He pulled a ton of bonehead moves like that on that trip.

Marble

WKR
There are a lot of variables. My actual action will depend on what behavior happened prior to being cut off. If I know he can't see me, Im going to make noise with raking and possibly a bark bugle. Then, move to a place that's closer with good lanes to shoot in.

I've watched some guys get cut off partially because they bugle for longer than they should. I think the intensity of the bugle is more important than how long it is.

Most of the time, bulls just want to see who they are dealing with. They do not want to fight but want to make their opponent believe they are bigger and badder.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Idk if this is the “right answer” but I had that happen to me once. The bull was pretty close, ~ 150 yards, directly across the draw and bedded facing me on the opposing finger ridge.

What I did was… wait. I waited for a good 5-8 minutes before I did anything else. Mostly b/c I hadn’t heard a single bugle in 5 days and I thought it was an 80% chance it was another hunter. I tried to glass up the bull/hunter but couldn’t get eyes on him.

After giving up on finding him with my eyes I bugled again from the same place and he immediately cut me off again. Honestly, with the mood that bull was in, I probably could have done anything and got him killed, but I sent my partner down into the draw and I stayed up on the ridge calling. I slowly worked up to high aggression. Gave him everything in my arsenal. Eventually I just did what he did. When I moved downhill in his direction about 30 yards to rake a pine tree he finally broke loose and came our way across the draw. My partner shot him at 30 yards. Turned out to be a Nice 300” 6x6 in a crappy OTC unit.

6042c765f305317af8a6a9ca0db3477b.jpg

fb4be1e921651b70db191d43bf3cbce0.jpg

OP
E

EVD

FNG
Very nice bull for OTC!

I was solo, with 20 minutes of shooting light left. Bull was around 100 yrds away, but down below in a valley. Terrain was more open than normal in dark timber. He was fired up and cut me off immediately after I started, with maybe 3 or 4 prior exchanges.

Earlier I had called in another bull, that I got to full draw on, but couldn't get a good shot opportunity. The first bull was all about cow calls, didn't respond much to bugles. This second one could have cared less about cow calls but bugles got him going.

A wise man and his son once said, 'you have to read the elk'.

ElkNut1

WKR
FlyGuy, beautiful bull! I love those bulls where you know in your heart they are wired to die that day! (grin)

EVD, you had 20 minutes of light, that's not much time! I would definitely have to get aggressive with him fast, no messing around unless I decided to wait until morning to re-locate him & take him then! That may be wise when considering distance back to your rig or camp.

If I decided to take him now for whatever reason I'd have used what cover I could employ with decent wind & cut the distance where I felt he still couldn't see me, in doing so I'd give 3-4 Pants while on the move & hammer him with the Full Send Challenge! This is the nervous grunt followed by a challenge bugle. You'd best be ready, in most cases he comes in hot!

This Tactic is in video form on the Pro Version of the ElkNut App. If you have it watch it, it will assist you immensely!

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
I'm reading your scenario as; you had a herd bull with cows since he didn't care about cow calls, but you called in a satellite with them.

1) In general, when I'm hunting solo and they are singing all on their own, I cut the distance and try to position for a shot without calling.

2) If he has cows and you are close, wait for him to bugle again on his own, then cut HIM off...if your strategy is "challenge/fight". (C. Jacobsen model)

3) Use a "bull calling cows" bugle or "harem call" if your strategy is "talk to his ladies". (J. Turner/Steve Chappell model). Gotta be close though

As as generalization, herd bulls with cows don't care about cow calls (for final call-in purposes). Your chances will almost always be better using bugles on herd bulls with cows when you are close. If you want to kill a satellite bull, cow calls can be very effective... especially if there are multiple satellites dogging a herd just waiting for a piece of ass to separate off.

In my experience, getting super close is the biggest factor for successful call-ins, no matter what calling strategy. I will say, I greatly prefer to use a harem/BCC call on herd bulls when I'm in tight. It's been way more productive for me regardless of the state or point of progression within the season.

Last edited:

jlc1993

FNG
Shout out to Paul, or anyone else with knowledge, but what do you do when a bull cuts you off? Obviously be ready with an arrow nocked, if not already, but curious as to what has worked for others.

It happened to me last season. I finished my bugle, and think we might have gone back and forth a couple more times. In truth I can't remember exactly how I played it right after getting cut off, so would like to know WWPD (what would Paul do?).
Move in quiet as close as you can get and throw a cow in the equation. If he responds but hangs up, implement some raking and maybe some grunting to let him know there's a cow in his area with an uninvited bull WAY TOO CLOSE.