Head-to-Head: Carbon v. Aluminum Tripods

Tripods: Do you prefer Carbon or Aluminum

• Total voters

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
One problem I had with sliks is stripping out the metal on the tripod body, so that the leg angles don't work anymore. Aggressive all day glassing for bears. It took about a week of this and it was fried. Did it to an Outdoorsmans too, but it took 2 weeks, but I just tightened the nut and bolt holding leg to the tripod body real tight and now I have a fairly tight assembly and unlimited much quicker leg angles. Less is more I guess in this case!
Sounds like you use your gear a lot like @Ryan Avery

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

willidru

WKR
I’m over 6’ so I use the Slik 634 with the lever locks. Weight is great, and packs well. I don’t use with heavy optics Swaro 10x42, Maven 18x56 and STS 65.
I have not been impressed with the durability of the Slik. 10 days during 3rd rifle season Colorado the we had weather a couple years back between snow, mud and me just being rough on my equipment I had to send it back in as the locking system seized up. They charged me $60 (had for just over a year) and I was back in action.
After using for a couple more seasons when the legs are extended they will inadvertently collapse down. Obviously something in the locks is broken again. So probably time to pay for service again.