Head-to-Head: Carbon v. Aluminum Tripods

Tripods: Do you prefer Carbon or Aluminum

• Total voters

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders.

I spent about an hour at the Outdoorsman’s Booth at WHCE chatting with Courtney about this.

I switched to Carbon back in 2012 and never looked back. I thought everyone did! Hahaha.

I didn’t even know that Outdoorsmans doesn’t offer a Carbon option in their USA line. Her point was that aluminum offers more stability/durability with little weight penalty and is why they haven’t offered a Carbon option.

She got me thinking for sure. And I’m really wondering what you all think on this. So I’ve set up a head-to-head (more on that below) and a poll.

Please vote in our simple poll above (you must be in full-site mode, it won’t show in Tapa Talk).
Feel free to comment below if you have any other feedback.

On the Head-to-Head...(*Note, the following two tripods were swapped out with those shown in the thread at 3/25/20 Edit)

Outdoorsmans supplied me with their Compact Aluminum.

S&S Archery supplied me with a SLIK 624 (the one I’ve been running since 2018).

Over the next month, I’ll be testing them under my Swarovski SLC 15x56 and BTX 95.

I’ll be using the Outdoorsmans Pan Head

Here are some initial specs:

Outdoorsmans Compact Aluminum: 2lbs, 6ozs (38 ozs total) at 46” extended (had to add the Center Post Extension-short to match the SLIK) 14-1/2” collapsed

SLIK 624: 1lbs, 14 ozs (30 ozs total) at 45.5” extended, 14-3/8” collapsed

So the SLIK is running 8ozs lighter.

Courtney said their testing has shown the Aluminum as more stable, so I’ll do some real-world testing on that. I don’t doubt her, but I want to determine if the extra 8oz is worth the extra stability.

tripods.jpeg

A3802D82-8E07-4CC5-B203-4BA4428DF349.jpeg

9C8E97F1-47AC-47E0-9152-869E4F06737E.jpeg

3/14/20 Edit:
I’ve been working with outdoorsman‘s the last couple of days and told them some of the critiques that members had pointed out, i.e. that this won’t be a fair comparison with that long extension.

So they are going to send a different tripod that offers more leg support without having to use such a long extension. It’s a prototype, but they’re pretty sure the production model will be the same. From Outdoorsmans today: “
“ this prototype that I am sending is the same exact collapsed height of the medium that we have in production but it is 3 sections instead of two and extends to a height of about 52". It will most likely completely replace the current medium tripod in our product line (and available to public later this spring...”

So Roksliders, we get first look at this! It’s on it’s way so hoping to have some initial thoughts this time next week....

That’s why I like doing the semi-live reviews, because I learn so much from you all. Just about every time I do a review like this, people point out things that I hadn’t even thought of!

So hold tight, they’re going to get that shipped.

Finally, on the poll that is above, it is not asking you if you prefer the Slik or the Outdoorsman in this review, just what your material preference is for any tripod, i.e. Do you prefer aluminum or carbon?

Thanks all!

3/25/20 Edit.

OK, due to member feedback and in the interest in getting the most fair and current review, Outdoorsmans and S&S sent new tripods:

Outdoorsmans sent their new Medium Aluminum Prototype

-Weight is 2lbs 12ozs (vs the previous 2lbs 6 ozs)
-Extended Height is 51.5" (vs. the previous 46")
-Collapsed Height is 18.5" (vs. the previous 14.5")

you'll notice in the pics below, it gains it's height by it's legs, not the extended center column like the Compact shown above

S&S sent the upgraded SLIK 624 that includes a spring loaded center hook and a blue collar under the twist locks (for aesthetic purposes according to Rob at S&S)

-Weight is 1lb 13.3 ozs (vs. the previous 13.9 ozs)
-Extended Height is 45.75" (vs. the previous 45.5")

-Collapsed Height is 14.5" (same as previous)

P3220285.jpg

P3220283.jpg

201b05e49b1acee577a0f6c3ac729055.jpg

355bffb8ba3daba2e41387aaf028907e.jpg

eb8b9729075c3c729e2ee315b9a16c7f.jpg

69dc5ba962e6a2d695e8a0de9c380522.jpg

12/8/20: The final review is done! Thanks for everyone's input. Outdoorsmans Standard vs. SLIK 624

Last edited:

AGPank

WKR
I would note not all carbon fiber is created equal, some my have tighter weaves, less resin and lighter. But in general carbon fiber is extremely rigid, I could go dig up some mechanics of materials books to confirm more rigid than aluminum. I have no problem with aluminum, great product. Really more of preference and budget.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I would note not all carbon fiber is created equal, some my have tighter weaves, less resin and lighter. But in general carbon fiber is extremely rigid, I could go dig up some mechanics of materials books to confirm more rigid than aluminum.
Do it!

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I'm actually glad to see this, and I'm not even voting yet because I'm completely on the fence at the moment. I've been running carbon for the past few years (ProMaster XC525C and a Manfrotto 290 Xtra Carbon), but have just recently been really bothered by the fine jittery/tinny shimmer in even light wind, or while adjusting fine focus (got to say it seems worse on the Manfrotto -- maybe the ProMaster has a better carbon wrap formula?). I feel like my optics' biggest limitation at the moment is my tripod and head combo, and have been curious if aluminum could provide a more steady/smooth platform. I'll be interested in what you have to say -- especially about the jitters!

MSmiley

FNG
I think the extra mass of aluminum would help it in the wind, but carbon should handle small vibrations better. I look forward to hearing more.

Can you give feedback on the noise you experience? I felt my aluminum tripod (vortex) was louder and gave sharp sounds whereas my carbon (slik) is a softer note. Say for example, if I knock my release against it or my pack falls on its side against a rock.

$610 38oz vs $230 32oz. The Outdoorsmans better be a lot steadier and last 3 times as long for the weight and price penalty.

I’ve compared a carbon to an Outdoorsmans in the past. I’ll be curious to see what your final thoughts are.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Can you give feedback on the noise you experience? I felt my aluminum tripod (vortex) was louder and gave sharp sounds whereas my carbon (slik) is a softer note. Say for example, if I knock my release against it or my pack falls on its side against a rock.

yes! Glad you brought that up.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
$610 38oz vs $230 32oz. The Outdoorsmans better be a lot steadier and last 3 times as long for the weight and price penalty.

good point.
So everybody knows where he got that price, the tripod is 499, the center post extension is 109.

I have only looked through glass with carbon a few times. I own a zomi. Its a photography's tripod and it weights in a just over a lb more then the outdoorsman.
I use aluminum for both glassing and photography. Did alot of research before buying mine for photography specifically. The carbon will be more rigid for sure! However, because they are so rigid they dont absorb vibrations like the softer aluminum. The heavier aluminum will obviously buck the wind better. But you can always hang a bag under the carbon to weight it down while glassing.
Im curious as to what Robby is going to find and what he prefers.
I really think its going to come down to how you use them. Obviously the Oz counters are going to want Carbon. But if weight isnt an issue then aluminum might be better for you.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry Robby I tried to delete my comments so they didn't side track the thread.

I am curious if you feel the height of the center section makes a difference in the stabilization?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
It would be interesting to see some stability comparisons across different comparable heights, not just max. (Drop the center column and probably the thinnest leg on the Slik, compared to the Outdoorsman with dropped center column, etc)

And also seated.

Thanks for doing this! It will be interesting to see the results.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not really in to the ounce counting anymore, so I have the Outdoorsman Medium Tripod w/micro panhead, and I really like it. I am really good at breaking anything made of carbon, so the possible weight reduction by going that direction was not really a selling point for me. Big fan of Outdoorsmans, and their customer service has been incredible (saved a hunt of mine two years ago by overnighting adapter(s) to me). Accordingly, I'll be interested to see how this test goes.

If you used the medium outdoorsman instead of the compact, it is the same weight as the compact with the extension, although 1 1/2” shorter
and would save big bucks and be more stable without the extender post .
I also prefer the lever locks on the Outdoorsman
Bob

Last edited:
in my experience. i went from a slik aluminum that i ran for i don’t know how long to a slik carbon to save weight. had a failure at one of the locking legs after 2 seasons. picked up a feilsol and somehow splintered a leg in the second outing that made retracting the leg a nightmare. been running an outdoorsmans medium for 2 seasons now and not a single complaint. plus they are local and i often work near their store so i’m all for supporting local and stopping in and shooting the shit.

I’m a carbon guy and I don’t think ill ever go back. And as an outdoorsman fan I really really wish they would consider carbon!

A couple big things for me that I don’t see a lot of people talk about-

Noise- if I bounce my carbon off rocks, branches, my pack, bow and or gun, whatever it’s much quieter. Even simply extending the legs, much more muffled than aluminum.

Cold- it’s much more comfortable handling/carrying carbon and I feel like my hands stay much warmer. I dunno maybe I handle and rest my hands on the legs a lot, but i feel like it’s made a big difference.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Sorry Robby I tried to delete my comments so they didn't side track the thread.

I am curious if you feel the height of the center section makes a difference in the stabilization?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yep, just looking at the picture it’s not an apples to apples comparison, but maybe we will learn something. I wonder if they could send you a medium so you are comparing similar legs as well at the same time.

Center tubes make for less stability especially when fully extended regardless of material used. For a true apples to apples on stability the apex on both tripods should be roughly the same height. That means retracting the lower most leg section on the slik to make the apex equal to the OD.