Headlamp!

4th_point

WKR
Good information in this thread. I've been a long time adherent to carrying spare AA and AAA but am seeing the light!

Good information in this thread. I've been a long time adherent to carrying spare AA and AAA but am seeing the light!

Since Zebralight 18650 headlights are so lightweight, I carry one extra 18650...inside an extra Zebralight headlamp. 3.4 oz with the power of 7 AAA batteries (INCLUDING the light), much wider range of dim to BRIGHT, and much more efficient. You get a brightness range from sub-lumen light (which can be used to preserve night vision, despite the traditional thoughts that it must be red light) to 1500 lumens. I encourage folks to look up the low white light capability for preserving night vision, as well as issues with people running red lights far brighter than needed, which actually reduces night vision.

Last edited:

4th_point

WKR
Thanks Mike.

Last year I used a AAA headlamp with Energizer Lithium batteries and it barely lasted a week. Just used around camp and not in the woods.

I definitely need an upgrade.

Gobber

FNG
Paidhunter-
Fully concur with the small Zipka foot print.
Why not have the best of both? I contacted Petzl customer service when one of my Zipkas ‘broke’ and they shipped me a replacement back with the retractable cord mechanism. I then mated it to a cut down rubber holder for a nice little package.

The cord ‘puck’ comes apart easily and the line can be threaded through most anything.

Worth a try to see if Petzl may still have spare parts.

Gobber

FNG
Just gave Petzl USA support a call (801.926.1500) and they stated they have plenty of Zipka parts available.
Just sayin…🤔

tdbaugha

FNG
Since Zebralight 18650 headlights are so lightweight, I carry one extra 18650...inside an extra Zebralight headlamp. 3.4 oz with the power of 7 AAA batteries (INCLUDING the light), much wider range of dim to BRIGHT, and much more efficient. You get a brightness range from sub-lumen light (which can be used to preserve night vision, despite the traditional thoughts that it must be red light) to 1500 lumens. I encourage folks to look up the low white light capability for preserving night vision, as well as issues with people running red lights far brighter than needed, which actually reduces night vision.
The zebra lights I’m seeing are 4.4 ounces with battery and strap. Similar to the light weight fenix options.

Gobber

FNG
So this might be a bit of a kludge, but it does what I want it to do.
A new light weight EDC headlight combo I'm trying out.
-FenixHM50R Light - 700lm max with red LED too.
-Petzl Zipka retractable head cord puck.

Came with 2 rechargeable 16340 (3.7v) batteries but will also run off CR123 (3v) as well.
Simple interface, red is somewhat useful for creeping around in the dark.
Even has a charge port.

Last edited:

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I’m part of the 18650 bandwagon. I can’t bring myself to buy any more headlamps or flashlights that aren’t rechargeables. Makes no sense. Carrying one or two extra rechargeables versus a pile of aaa’s or aa’s leaves me scratching my head. Especially with how good power banks have gotten. But I honestly don’t even think a guy would need to recharge an 18650 with one extra in the pack. BUT at least you could if needed. Not to mention the fact that they can be used all year when not out on hunts. The Sofirn d25lr with one extra battery should last plenty long for pretty much any hunting scenario and all for like 40-50$$

I prefer the fenix h65r with the 18650s and take a backup 18650 precharged. But I have black diamond spots and storms that I have no issues with other than being a little less user friendly.

I just bought a Petzl Actik Core that comes with a rechargeable battery pack, but you can also use AAA in it as well, might be what youre looking for.

inkedspot

FNG
Black Diamond dual fuel are handy. Rechargeable batteries but will also accept AAA. Storm and Cosmo,both are about 4.5oz with batteries.

Don't sleep on re-chargeable. The Nitecore NU25-UL is 1.6 ounces and a couple sips of energy from the charger I'm already bringing for my phone/inreach and it will last a longgg time.
This is what ive switched to also and love it, with the glow in the dark ultralight headband they are 1oz. I got mine from zpacks. Really nice to have just one cord to charge my phone, inreach mini 2 and headlamp

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Don't sleep on re-chargeable. The Nitecore NU25-UL is 1.6 ounces and a couple sips of energy from the charger I'm already bringing for my phone/inreach and it will last a longgg time.
I also agree this is a great little headlamp, it's always in my bino harness, love the glow-in-the-dark harness, its easy to find when I'm half awake. I do worry about durability I have had issues with a few Nitecore lights.

Tod osier

WKR
3 oz. I only carry the extra light with battery inside, not an extra strap.

I do similar, but I've been carrying a handheld zebralight with a spot beam as a backup 18650 "carrying case". Having the spot lets you have another option in beams. I've never drained an zebralight headlamp in up to 10 days in the backcountry, so I've never needed the backup, but I always carry it.

Stroudwf

FNG
love my petzl tactikka+ ($60) personally. Can buy the rechargeable battery pack for it for around $30. Works great and have never let me down. Not the cheapest nor the most expensive option but it works perfect for me

I also agree this is a great little headlamp, it's always in my bino harness, love the glow-in-the-dark harness, its easy to find when I'm half awake. I do worry about durability I have had issues with a few Nitecore lights.

Just picked up a couple of these for my sheep hunt, got to cut weight somewhere bc I know I can’t loose weight bc I like ice cream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on the Black Diamond Storm wagon. They have served me well for many years but I am going to check out the Zebra 18650 for the heck of it.