Headspace Help Please!

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I missed the part about the crimp sorry, back the seating die out like everyone else said. The die body is too low and causing the crimp early. You don’t need to use the crimp, put a case in the press and run the handle all the way. Screw the die down until you feel the shoulder in the die touch the case neck and back it off a turn. No more crimp, adjust the seating stem back down to your desired coal.

packer58

WKR
^^^ This

I missed the crimp part also, The mechanics of what happens when your seating die is set to low is that the case mouth contacts the crimp shoulder in the die body before the bullet is seated to your desired depth, once this happens the bullet is being squeezed by the crimp shoulder and as the press applies continued pressure finishing the seating process both the bullet and the case neck gets pushed downwards creating your problem. Like others have said, back off your seating die a bit, the old school rule of thumb is to place a nickle on your shell holder, run your ram to the top and then screw your sizing die down to just contact the nickle ..... this will keep your case mouth away from the crimp shoulder in the die.

Vern400

WKR
Success! Backed out a full turn and good to go. Thank y’all so much! Never have used a die with a crimp, and honestly didn’t realize this had one (until y’all asked so i looked the product up). Thanks again!
That was a good catch. I use RCBS competition seating dies and never thought of crimping anything but .357! Use those compromised ones for foulers if they'll fit! Glad you're all good now.

Sadie

FNG
Put a case in the press and run the ram to its highest point and screw the seater down until you feel the crimping feature touch the case mouth and then back the seater die out a little bit.