Heart & Tongue

My guide cut out the heart, & Tongue, and it went to the butcher as well.
Anyone ever eat the heart ?
I have had Cow Tongue, and it's always good. Never had heart.

I usually save moose heart. Pan fried with butter, onions, and peppers it’s good camp food. At home it can be slow cooked like a roast, or even sliced and grilled.

Tongue gets boiled in camp and then sliced for lunch meat.

Sykes

WKR
Heart pan fried in butter with onions here too. This year I sliced some heart and cooked it on the pellet grill on a piece tin foil with butter cooked to medium rare, that was the best. My kids 3&5 love it and can't get enough.

Haven't tried tongue yet

tater

WKR
I have this year's heart in my freezer waiting for it to be stuffed with a wild rice and vegetable mixture, wrapped in bacon and baked.

The tongue was eaten last month. Quick boil, skin, and then slice thin when cool and eat in sandwiches with horse radish.

My three favourite cuts are tongue, heart, and neck.

Stuff the heart with sausage and dressing. Wrap it in bacon and bake it.
Or cut it up into small strips and batter then fry.
or cut into stew type meat cuts and make soup with it.
I like making bbq with my tongue.

I usually freeze hearts in groups of 2 or 3 and then have a hearts grill out - marinated with peppers and onions... started keeping them maybe 7 years ago, and won't waste another! (Assuming no bullets have been through them 🙂)

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Always save the heart! It’s excellent tender meat. I had Sitka Blacktail heart stew this week. For moose you should at minimum grind it with your burger. It’s 2 lb of quality meat that shouldn’t be wasted. My partner took the tongue from my moose this year. He cooks it and thin slices it into sandwich meat.

I've used the heart from fresh venison many times, butter and onions, not bad, just different, my kids liked it.
This year I took the Liver from my elk, it cooked up fantastic, wife loved it.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I had mine as the steak in a steak Gorgonzola and as my traditional (2 years in a row makes it tradition right) pan fried heart (like a steak), pan fried tenderloin with eggs and toast. The heart is amazing. Oh also had it in stir fry.

Eaten beef tongue which is good but not had elk or deer. Heart I really love. My grandmother would slice it across the grain about 1/2" thick and roll it in flour and fry it in butter. She'd fix eggs and pancakes to go along with it for dinner. It was really good.

OP
Short Track
Just got my Moose back from the butcher. Heart & Tongue are whole, not butchered. It's time to research this, and learn what to do with it.
The heart looks like it'll feed 5 people.
The tongue, does anyone pickle it like beef tongue from the kosher deli ?

AKYZ450F

FNG
As said above fried heart moose heart is really good. If I don't fry the heart, I will take the hearts and tongues and pickle them. I put pickled hot peppers in mine when I do it.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Heart is delicious! I slice it and pan sear it usually.

tung is not bad, a friends son cooked the one from my deer last year and I was presently surprised.