Heat for cargo trailer

Geewhiz

WKR
The diesel heaters sound interesting and promising, my first build had a big buddy and stove top for heat and the condensation was ridicules. My new build has a thermostatic controlled 30,000 BTU Suburban RV furnace under the front cabinets and works amazing.
That’s the real deal. We’re just all cheapskates.

dtrkyman

WKR
I am already using propane for a grill at camp so I think I may go big buddy, I have a tank top heater now that I was just using briefly in the morning and evening, but a big buddy on low all night sounds cozy.

Plus I hate the smell of diesel and really do not want to pack more chit!

5 Best Propane Heaters For High Altitude - Tested & Compared

1. Bluegrass Living B30TPB-BB heater – Editor’s Choice. Key Features: Heating Method: …
    2. Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX heater – Budget Pick. Key Features: Heating Method: Radiant. …
    3. Flame King YSN-CHS10 heater. Key Features: Heating Method: Radiant. Weight: 8.8 pounds. …
    4. Mr. Heater MH540T Propane Heater. Key Features: Heating Method: Convection. Weight: 5.5 …
      See full list on heaterinsider.com
some rated at 15,000 feet.... sea level.....

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I'll try to answer some of the questions first then post a few pics.

Remember this is a ruff draft version and was very restricted on time before leaving. I basically needed to prove the system would work so now I can nice it up. I've got some ideas for that.

I have not actually run the Nu-way. I actually purchased one and was planning to install it but found out about these little diesel heaters before I was able to install the thing.
Why I chose to go with the diesel heat. First I wouldn't have a hot stove in my trailer that runs the risk of burning or melting items. You basically have a dead zone around any stove that is not useable space along with the flu pipe. Second is it's so much more efficient than the propane Nu-way portable. Third is the moisture issue with non vented heaters like the Buddy style heater I had used previously.
Near the front of the trailer I cut a hole and placed a piece of tin over it with the proper size hole for the vent. This was needed to have room to slip the vent pipe over the vent. I secured it with 2 screws. The little neck wasn't long enough to give me much under the floor so that's why I had to cut the wood back then use tin. I used a 3" dryer duct from Homedepo that worked perfectly.

Now I needed something to set the heater on and like mentioned I was concerned about weather getting on the heater. I ruff cut a piece of plywood with a hole in the middle for combustion air and exhaust. They both attach at the bottom and need a little space to turn out. I then stacked a couple short chunks of 2x4 for the cover to set on so it was held up and could draw fresh air for the heating air that blows over the heat exchanger and into the trailer.
For a cover I used an old cooler and cut a notch in the one end for the dryer duct. I made sure to keep it pushed all the way back so the fan could pull air over the heater at the back end and not be blocked. Like I said this is the ruff draft version.

In the future I will be mounting it on the tung of the trailer but removable for travel and be powering it with a milwaukee 18v battery. My buddy purchased the same one and use a step-down converter and run it off an 8 ah milwaukee battery all night on low and had about 50% life left in the morning. I've already ordered the step-down converter.

Hope the pics work.
Any questions I'd gladly answer.
What is the purpose of the cover? Is it needed? I purchased a similar one so that I can use it for Ice fishing as well as heating my 7x16 cargo trailer

Do you have a link to the step down converter for the milwaukee 18v battery? Do they make one for dewalt? I have dewalt batteries already.

Did you insulate the hole for they dryer duct ?

What is the purpose of the cover? Is it needed? I purchased a similar one so that I can use it for Ice fishing as well as heating my 7x16 cargo trailer

Do you have a link to the step down converter for the milwaukee 18v battery? Do they make one for dewalt? I have dewalt batteries already.

It needs air to to work, if everything gets plugged up with ice, freezing rain, snow etc it won't be able to pull fresh air in etc.

Last year I couldn't even leave my roof vent cracked even with a max air cover. The snow was so fine it got blown in.

In extreme weather you have to protect everything from snow and ice intrusion

GoatPackr

WKR

The step-down converter is on Amazon. Search for it and you will find them. Mine came in yesterday. I'll be playing with it this weekend

Kris

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
It needs air to to work, if everything gets plugged up with ice, freezing rain, snow etc it won't be able to pull fresh air in etc.

Last year I couldn't even leave my roof vent cracked even with a max air cover. The snow was so fine it got blown in.

In extreme weather you have to protect everything from snow and ice intrusion
So the cover keeps ice, freezing rain, snow, etc from getting into it? In Goatpackrs pictures it doesn't look like the cooler is covering the air intake

svivian

WKR
So the cover keeps ice, freezing rain, snow, etc from getting into it? In Goatpackrs pictures it doesn't look like the cooler is covering the air intake
air intake is the brown hose with the black attachment on the bottom right of the unit.

2-Stix

WKR
I ran a propane heater, drilled a hole in the floor and a hose connected outside to a big 30# canister and I put a CO2 sensor inside.

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a Pomoly dweller max 3 to install in my 6x10 cargo trailer.
A tank top propane heater and the back door cracked got me through 6 weeks last winter, but I’m hoping this will cut down on condensation.
Hoping to get it installed next week and post some pics.
Has anyone else gone the wood stove route?

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
air intake is the brown hose with the black attachment on the bottom right of the unit.
I understand that, I just don’t understand the need for the cooler cover. I’ve watched numerous YouTube videos with them sitting outside in the winter and snow

GoatPackr

WKR
I understand that, I just don’t understand the need for the cooler cover. I’ve watched numerous YouTube videos with them sitting outside in the winter and snow
I wanted it covered from any potential weather because I wasn't sure how it would perform but mostly I was looking to muffle sound as much as possible. I was able to hear a little noise through the duct system but it wasn't enough to bother anyone in camp.
In the future I'll probably have a much more simple cover.
I live in Western WA and we can get a lot of heavy rain. I would not run this thing in those conditions without a cover.
This trip was Eastern MT where the weather was much different.

Kris

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted it covered from any potential weather because I wasn't sure how it would perform but mostly I was looking to muffle sound as much as possible. I was able to hear a little noise through the duct system but it wasn't enough to bother anyone in camp.
In the future I'll probably have a much more simple cover.
I live in Western WA and we can get a lot of heavy rain. I would not run this thing in those conditions without a cover.
This trip was Eastern MT where the weather was much different.

Kris
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. I’m in southwest Montana and am not sure that I need a cover, but it is definitely something to consider. I have mine on order but it won’t be here till next week. Did you feel like you needed an insulated hose? I ordered a 8kw self contained high altitude version

GoatPackr

WKR
Just picked up a Pomoly dweller max 3 to install in my 6x10 cargo trailer.
A tank top propane heater and the back door cracked got me through 6 weeks last winter, but I’m hoping this will cut down on condensation.
Hoping to get it installed next week and post some pics.
Has anyone else gone the wood stove route?

I've not done the wood stove in a trailer but have in Wall tents. The reason I didn't do wood in the trailer is because it would be far to much heat and I hunt places where wood is difficult to come by as well I want to spend time hunting not cutting and hauling wood.

Kris

GoatPackr

WKR
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. I’m in southwest Montana and am not sure that I need a cover, but it is definitely something to consider. I have mine on order but it won’t be here till next week. Did you feel like you needed an insulated hose? I ordered a 8kw self contained high altitude version
I did not feel a need for insulated hose. I can't imagine it would make much difference. If it was going to be so cold I was worried about that heat loss I would be more concerned about heating the extreme cold outside air and blowing it into the trailer. I'd look at a return air duct to reheat the trailer air and put it back in the trailer.

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
I've not done the wood stove in a trailer but have in Wall tents. The reason I didn't do wood in the trailer is because it would be far to much heat and I hunt places where wood is difficult to come by as well I want to spend time hunting not cutting and hauling wood.

Kris
I’m anxious to see how much heat this stove’s gonna put off.
I have very minimal stove experience so 🤷‍♂️
My trailer isn’t insulated and if it’s getting too hot I guess I’ll just crack the back door with a pain stick.
I’m mainly gonna use this for ski bumming for a month or so, so my plan is to spend the weekends cutting up blowdown to stockpile for the week.
I don’t have much experience burning that dry was pine either, so I’m hoping I don’t have to reload the stove every 5 min 🤷‍♂️

rbljack

WKR
Following. I learned of the little diesel heaters over the summer and I also have a 14 foot enclosed trailer. My thought is same as others......nice to have an addition heat source for a late season trip.