Helinox Cot Lite vs thermarest

I bought a Thermarest cot a few years ago. It's been great but the durability is horrible. The first elk hunt I ripped a seem a couple inches long. I was able to patch it but the patch is worn out.
Last year I broke a support pole. I'm only 170-175 lb.

I'm thinking about trying the Helinox. I have their chair and it's been great! I did bust a seat pole on it but dang their CA team is great. Cascade designs seems to be struggling because I've been trying to get a replacement cot sheet and crickets. But Helinox can get a replacement pole for free in a couple days.

So how are the Helinox cots for durability? I always feel like I'm gonna break my thermarest of I'm simply sitting on it. The components look a lot beefier.

Anyone ever use both?

Ty

AKDoc

WKR
I have both...for many years I used the Thermarest lite, and more recently (this is the third year) the Helinox lite. For me the comfort factor with both cots is excellent and pretty equal, and both work well for my body size....5'10" & 185. I have never had a structural failure with either. Like you, I did break a Helinox chair-leg last year for the first time in many years of use, and they replaced it quickly.

The Thermarest lite is a great cot. I had the one with the four or five ring-shaped legs, which were kind to my tent floor. It's a bit lighter and packs a bit more compactly than the Helinox...not sure the actual wt difference because I gave the Thermarest to my son.

The Helinox is also a great cot. My primary reason for changing over to the Helinox was the much quicker and less involved set-up/take-down time that it offers, as opposed to assembling the numerous rods and rings for the legs of the Thermarest. I know that sounds kinda lazy, but on a 10-day float when we are moving camp every day, it's a very welcomed change...especially if it is raining every day during set-up and take down! Perhaps the Thermarest design has changed recently...not sure. I sleep so much better on a cot than just a pad on the ground, and I was previously leaving my Thermarest at home on float-trips. I do put something under the three legs of my Helinox (and under the tent), so they don't contact the tent floor and grind on the rocks when I'm pitching my tent on a rocky shore.

I leave tomorrow for a 10-day float, and my Helinox is already packed!

Last edited:

Norm555

WKR
Do you guys use a sleeping pad on top of these cots? I've been thinking about purchasing one and am curious.

AKDoc

WKR
Do you guys use a sleeping pad on top of these cots? I've been thinking about purchasing one and am curious.
Absolutely yes! In the outdoor environment up here, one must use a very well insulated sleeping pad with a cot or freeze at night (even in the summer up here)...especially in a down bag.

ScottH

Lil-Rokslider
I have both cots....and I agree with everything AKDoc said about both
cots.

I bought a Thermarest cot a few years ago. It's been great but the durability is horrible. The first elk hunt I ripped a seem a couple inches long. I was able to patch it but the patch is worn out.
Last year I broke a support pole. I'm only 170-175 lb.

I'm thinking about trying the Helinox. I have their chair and it's been great! I did bust a seat pole on it but dang their CA team is great. Cascade designs seems to be struggling because I've been trying to get a replacement cot sheet and crickets. But Helinox can get a replacement pole for free in a couple days.

So how are the Helinox cots for durability? I always feel like I'm gonna break my thermarest of I'm simply sitting on it. The components look a lot beefier.

Anyone ever use both?

Ty
I have the Helinox and one of my hunting buddy's (his name is Ty also), has the Thermarest. A few years ago, while we were hunting together, he broke one of the main support poles like you described. He's a taller guy, about 6'3" but he's pretty slim, so I'd guess maybe about 210'ish lbs. Anyway, I kinda feel like the Helinox is probably a little more durable, and it is most definitely easier to assemble.

Have had the Helinox for 3 years, probably getting close to triple digits of nights slept on it, love it. I keep in set up in the bed of my truck when day hunting and don’t even bother taking it down when driving around. It gets beat up, had coolers fall on it, zero issues.
Cascade design warranty stuff is a nightmare and has been for at least 2 years. I’ve had to send two sleeping pads back, little to know communication, they sent me the wrong pad back 5 months later and the other time took 3 months. They also did not cover shipping even though both were warranty claims.

Helinox without a doubt. I have used my several 100 days since 2017. Around 20 of my guys at work have used theirs 100s of days also during the same timeframe. My wife has one and loves it as well.
We have NEVER had 1 cot break in literally 1000s of days of use. They aren’t cheap, but worth the $ in my opinion.

I'm curious, are you guys packing your cot on backpack trips, or using them with an elk tent or car camping situation?
I haven’t packed mine in on hunting trips. I do pack the Helinox chair though.
I would pack the cot on a backpacking/scouting trip. It just doesn’t make the cut when I have to also pack hunting and killing gear, pack meat, etc.

I had a Luxury Lite (now Therma-Rest) cot back before Helinox was even a thing here. I used it for 12 years and it never failed me once. I'd still be using it except for the fact I caught a new one at a price so low I couldn't turn it down. I sold my old one here on the forums and never looked back.

I think both brands are good. I believe the TR cot weighs less than the H cot in equivalent sizes. The H cot is probably sturdier, but that has never been an issue for me.

Norm555

WKR
Can someone with the helinox lite cot verify the length? Their website says it's 73" (6'-1") long. I'm 6'-2" so curious if I'd have issues.