help for Washington high buck

steveptr

FNG
Is there anyone who has hunted the Washington high buck hunt that would be willing to give a first time high buck Hunter some helpful tips. Not looking for a honey hole or information on where the deer are. But this will be 4th deer hunting season and first time going in the wilderness to hunt. So any and all tips for hunting will be appreciated thank you.

I believe the key to killing a buck during the high buck hunt has multiple obvious factors. Assuming that you are talking about mule deer and not blacktails, I'm guessing that you are looking at either the Alpine Lakes or Glacier Peaks Wilderness Areas. I know that they both get plenty of hunters, especially from the popular trailheads. That being the case, I think the key is to try and get away from the masses, and I believe that the easiest way to do that is to get off trail. Use the existing trail system to access your general area and then get a mile or so from the nearest trail and put your binos to work. This hunt is really a test of patience and luck, absolute miles of deer habitat and low deer numbers combine to make it a needle in a haystack kind of hunt. Preseason scouting can definitely help, but it really comes down to being in the right place at the right time, and you finding the "right place" can help stack the odds in your favor.

Good luck, post some pictures of your hunt whether you're successful or not, its beautiful country.

jmden

WKR
I believe the key to killing a buck during the high buck hunt has multiple obvious factors. Assuming that you are talking about mule deer and not blacktails, I'm guessing that you are looking at either the Alpine Lakes or Glacier Peaks Wilderness Areas. I know that they both get plenty of hunters, especially from the popular trailheads. That being the case, I think the key is to try and get away from the masses, and I believe that the easiest way to do that is to get off trail. Use the existing trail system to access your general area and then get a mile or so from the nearest trail and put your binos to work. This hunt is really a test of patience and luck, absolute miles of deer habitat and low deer numbers combine to make it a needle in a haystack kind of hunt. Preseason scouting can definitely help, but it really comes down to being in the right place at the right time, and you finding the "right place" can help stack the odds in your favor.

Good luck, post some pictures of your hunt whether you're successful or not, its beautiful country.
Good advice. Some place high with a good view and put the optics to work. Quality binocs on a tripod and spotting scope are essential, I think. Be in place well before first light, stay out of sight, move very carefully, glass evening until dark. Might pick up a copy of 'The Edge' by Mike Duplan and David Long--some good stuff in there. Have shot a number of deer on this hunt solo and it can be a grunt to get them out, but well worth it.

OP
S

steveptr

FNG

Going in to the Alpine lakes is my current plan.

Good luck. I tried it a couple years ago.I went too far and realized it was just a foolish plan -- for me. If you are solo be careful and plan on at least an extra trip for the pack out.
Care to elaborate why it was foolish? Also how far back were you in regards to giving yourself some time for packout? Thanks!

Care to elaborate why it was foolish? Also how far back were you in regards to giving yourself some time for packout? Thanks!
Sure - I'll probably never go back to that area to hunt so no issue with the details.

I went solo into the Doelle Lakes area. Access via the PCT south from Stevens Pass to the Icicle Creek trail. I believe it was ~ 10 miles and 4000'+ of gain with plenty of loss, too. Initially I figured it would take 4-6 hours, but it took more like 8-10 hours. There aren't many good (open) areas to hunt along the way. I thought I was in decent shape but reality slapped me hard - I was tired by the time I made it to the area I wanted to hunt. I didn't see any sign after a couple days. I thought about how hard it was (for me) to hike in and the thought of the pack out, if successful, was daunting. There was a small front moving in so I decided to head home early while the weather was decent and before I had to seriously figure out how to haul an animal out.

My end analysis - I was unprepared for:
a) Amount of vertical gain with a load
b) Solid plan for hauling out an animal over that distance with a fair amount of gain. I figure it would have taken a two trips which would have been 40+ miles of effort:
i) Haul out meat and some gear
ii) Haul out rest of gear any rack
c) Difficulty finding game...my only scouting was via aerial photos and on-line research

Thank you for the reply, I am going to try the area out as well for the first time and appreciate your first hand experience. I'm more looking for first hand accounts of the terrain more than "hey where are the deer?". Trying to mentally prepare myself as well since I'll be heading back 8-9 miles the first day in. I'll be with a buddy but am already thinking about what if we fill 2 tags...

jmden

WKR
If you go back in that far with a buddy...most guys that do that, if they get one buck, they are done as the effort and time to get it out, even with two guys, before the meat starts to go bad in (warmer) September weather can be an issue. If you are solo, cut the distance by half. Reality really starts to hit when in process of multiple trips to get meat and camp out. What whereisfredbeckey (must be a mountain climber with a handle like that) said lays out most of the realities of (especially a solo hunt) this hunt well. Most of us aren't superman and once you have that meat to haul out before it spoils, it is game on. It's all fun and games until then... Let us know how it goes. Two guys does make it much better when the hauling starts.

Will do! Supposed to be monsoon in the mountains end of the week then slowly start clearing for the opener with chances of snow and highs in the upper 40's. A week ago it was knocking on 70 degrees so I'm hoping with the cold weather and clearing I'll see more movement.

jmden

WKR
Tagged one opening morning. Rained all day and I got pretty wet shooting and cutting this thing up. Stayed up another night hoping I might see a bear on the carcass, but no... Packed out most the meat yesterday and then back in for camp and 11 lbs more meat. Solo hunt. Good times, hard work! Well worth it.

OP
S

steveptr

FNG
Tagged one opening morning. Rained all day and I got pretty wet shooting and cutting this thing up. Stayed up another night hoping I might see a bear on the carcass, but no... Packed out most the meat yesterday and then back in for camp and 11 lbs more meat. Solo hunt. Good times, hard work! Well worth it.

View attachment 121808

Daaaang good work man. I was only able to hunt opening morning unfortunately I didn't have have as much time off as I'd have like. Sunday was wet. Very wet. For my first back country hunt. I was over packed and under prepared for how wet it got. Reevaluation is underway. I'm going back to get a deer in the area I was in. Not quiting.

Bdorsing

FNG
A bit late, last year was my first and due to work can’t make it this year.

Prep for the hike with a fully loaded pack. Get high and run ridges where you can glass into multiple basins. Put as much time into scouting as possible and then be prepared for some snow!! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk