Help me: Backcountry sidearm weapon light debate

K_pem

WKR
Help me settle an internal debate:

Recently picked up a M&P 10mm 4” for my new woods gun, planning on running in a Kenai chest rig under a marsupial harness. Debating my weapons light choice and I’ve pretty well narrowed it down to the Streamlight TLR-7A and the new Holosun P.ID light.

TLR7-A: 500lumens, floodlike beam, only 2.4oz
Holo P.ID: 1000/500 lumen, double weight 5oz

Debate is if double the weight is really worth the subjective added light output and throw. I’m leaning towards the TLR7-A cause I want to keep this gun light as possible and it’s already going to be damn heavy…

Thoughts?

Tlr-7 shows up on gunfighter inc’s website as an available option for their weapon mounted light compatible holsters. I have a TLR-1HL on a Glock 20sf. It’s a large overall package but manageable in the Kenai chest holster. TLR-1HL is 4.43oz and 1000 lumen.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
Tlr-7 shows up on gunfighter inc’s website as an available option for their weapon mounted light compatible holsters. I have a TLR-1HL on a Glock 20sf. It’s a large overall package but manageable in the Kenai chest holster. TLR-1HL is 4.43oz and 1000 lumen.
I just feel like the TLR1 is such a large light in comparison to other options. Hence why I was debating the Holosun, but I know it’s a new ish light with minimal input.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
I run a TLR 7A on my Sig 320 X carry. Throws plenty of light and I like the size on it. I’ve been very happy with it. No experience with the Holosun light.

If you can’t get it done with 500 lumens, you probably just can’t get it done.

When I set my 10mm up, I’ll go with a smaller light rather than larger.

Reactions: 9.1
OP
K

K_pem

WKR
There is a thing as washout from too much light. More isn’t better in the dark when your night vision has adjusted. TLR-7 is plenty
I’m aware of washout, my thought was that is more of an issue indoors/close quarters. I just when something goes bump in the night deep in the woods having a good throw to be able to make out that grizz 100+ yards away, I can. But yes you do have a point. Im sure 500lumens is fine.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
If you can’t get it done with 500 lumens, you probably just can’t get it done.

When I set my 10mm up, I’ll go with a smaller light rather than larger.
Im thinking wide open in the woods, having the extra throw would be nice. I’m not necessarily saying that you “can’t get it done” with less than X lumens.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
That’s fair. I’d hope you hadn’t had to pull it out much haha. I’m sure 500lumens is plenty, I’m just overthinking it I’m sure lol
Sometimes if I’m out after dark I’ll practice drawing my handgun quickly a couple times as a warmup. The stream light always impresses with how far through the trees it shines. Also the toggles are very easy to reach, but not so long that you accidentally push them.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
OP-not being a jerk here….”bump in the night/deep in woods/grizz and 100+ yards” highly unlikely to unfold that way.

You may be overthinking this. Do some low light pistol training, make sure you’re familiar with sympathetic response and train, train train.
Your best bang for buck will be without firing a shot. Go from “threat” command to grip/presentation/light/scan and identify.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
OP-not being a jerk here….”bump in the night/deep in woods/grizz and 100+ yards” highly unlikely to unfold that way.

You may be overthinking this. Do some low light pistol training, make sure you’re familiar with sympathetic response and train, train train.
Your best bang for buck will be without firing a shot. Go from “threat” command to grip/presentation/light/scan and identify.
Definitely not a likely encounter but we frequent areas that it could absolutely be a possibility.

I do have some informal training/pickup/recommend drills from buddies in both the SOF community and local SWAT. But albeit I know I will need more time drawing and getting familiar with this setup to be truly efficient with it.

I appreciate what you’re saying though. Thanks for your input.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
After a bit more research I may have found the solution to my dilemma. It looks like last year Fenix released their WML the GL19R. Ratings are similar to the TLR-1HL with performance tests that show it beating it out at about the same cost. Biggest thing that stood out to me was the footprint and the weight coming in at only 3.5 ounces. An ounce heavier than the TLR-7a but over twice the lumens and candela. Also as an added bonus it allows for a high/low option toggle between 1200 and 350 lumens.

I think I’ll give it a go and see what I think.

I took a class with some low light portions. The swat guys recommended surefire lights if someone else was paying for it, streamlight if you were paying for it.

Orchemo

Lil-Rokslider
In my backcountry packing, I try to multipurpose gear as much as possible. I carry 2 headlamps. Tough changing batteries in the dark.

At night, I typically have one head lamp available for bathrooms breaks, reading books or maps before sleeping.

Personally, a good headlamp will meet my need for a light source for a sidearm in the mountain scenario.