Help me: Backcountry sidearm weapon light debate

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
In my backcountry packing, I try to multipurpose gear as much as possible. I carry 2 headlamps. Tough changing batteries in the dark.

At night, I typically have one head lamp available for bathrooms breaks, reading books or maps before sleeping.

Personally, a good headlamp will meet my need for a light source for a sidearm in the mountain scenario.
While I appreciate your sentiment, one thing I don’t mess around with is protection hiking in Grizz country. Im certainly not going to be found fiddling with a headlamp when im
packing out in the dark and I think there’s a momma grizz with cubs between me and my destination. I’ll pack the extra 3-4oz

Streamlight has good holster support - I have both TLR-1HL and TLR-7a - I would go with the 7a (and will be) for woods carry. I prefer the flood over the throw - it still throws plenty far (75-100 yards no issue) and the weight/size is great. Having both side by side you will not really notice much of a difference either way.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
Streamlight has good holster support - I have both TLR-1HL and TLR-7a - I would go with the 7a (and will be) for woods carry. I prefer the flood over the throw - it still throws plenty far (75-100 yards no issue) and the weight/size is great. Having both side by side you will not really notice much of a difference either way.
Before you do check out that Fenix GL19R. I haven’t gotten hands on one yet but the numbers are impressive

505Wapiti

WKR
I bought a TLR-8 green laser for my Glock and I love it, problem was the light was new model so I had a hard time finding someone to make a holster. Ordered a custom kydex online for my pack waist belt but I’m not thrilled with the retention. That was a while ago so I’m starting my new quest for a better holster solution.

Tlr7a for me on my sig p365 EDC that i take while hunting if i feel its necessaryp. It's a nice light and there is a lot of holster options for it. Almost got the new small rechargeable surefire but it just didn't have enough holster options

Maverick1

WKR
Help me settle an internal debate:

Recently picked up a M&P 10mm 4” for my new woods gun, planning on running in a Kenai chest rig under a marsupial harness. Debating my weapons light choice and I’ve pretty well narrowed it down to the Streamlight TLR-7A and the new Holosun P.ID light.

TLR7-A: 500lumens, floodlike beam, only 2.4oz
Holo P.ID: 1000/500 lumen, double weight 5oz

Debate is if double the weight is really worth the subjective added light output and throw. I’m leaning towards the TLR7-A cause I want to keep this gun light as possible and it’s already going to be damn heavy…

Thoughts?
What is the intended use of a light mounted to a handgun?

Which vendor(s) has great holster support with the TLR-7a? Asking since I've come up with either "not supported" or "no response" from all the vendors referenced on this site when it involves an XdM in 10mm and the -7a.

The one I bought when the vendor said "yes" wound up being one for no light; kept it as I struck out finding anyone. It is a PITA to take the light off at first light to put it in the holster and then putting it back on at dark (and out of the holster).

Which vendor(s) has great holster support with the TLR-7a? Asking since I've come up with either "not supported" or "no response" from all the vendors referenced on this site when it involves an XdM in 10mm and the -7a.

The one I bought when the vendor said "yes" wound up being one for no light; kept it as I struck out finding anyone. It is a PITA to take the light off at first light to put it in the holster and then putting it back on at dark (and out of the holster).
Most custom molders have the streamlight molds... I've ordered a couple custom leather holsters that had them as well. Gunfighters inc. has them... most of the big manufactures of holsters I have seen support the 7a.

For that specific pistol I'm not sure depending on your barrel... but you would have an easier time finding a TLR7 or TLR1 supported then some of the other lights.

First google hit had some holsters for the 3.8 and 5.25 XDM elite and the TLR7

ElPollo

WKR
Weapon lights are great and I am of the camp that believes the more lumens and candela the better. A good weapon light should cause discomfort when it’s shined on you. That said, I would generally avoid the o-lights, Holosun, etc and stick with a Streamlight TLR-1HL or TLR-7 for three reasons. First, they are tried, true and tough and will work when the chips are down. Second, they have a longer run time and heat up less. Every light I’ve ever had from O-light heated up enough to melt granite when you run them and they drop back to low light levels and die very quickly. Third, if you want a holster that’s not custom made, you need to stick with the common tried and true stuff like Streamlight.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
What is the intended use of a light mounted to a handgun?
Target illumination and identification in low light.

Yes you’ll have a headlamp, maybe even a flashlight. But I don’t want to be fumbling with either if I feel the need to draw my pistol in the dark I want to know I will be able to see what I’m looking at.

As for the light vs holster compatibility. I have multiple custom holster manufactures near me. If need be either one can simply take my gun and light combo and make a holster for me. I’d like a chest rig one to try but I’ll also be getting a standard OWB with some molle compatible clips for my K4

Maverick1

WKR
Target illumination and identification in low light.

Yes you’ll have a headlamp, maybe even a flashlight. But I don’t want to be fumbling with either if I feel the need to draw my pistol in the dark I want to know I will be able to see what I’m looking at.

As for the light vs holster compatibility. I have multiple custom holster manufactures near me. If need be either one can simply take my gun and light combo and make a holster for me. I’d like a chest rig one to try but I’ll also be getting a standard OWB with some molle compatible clips for my K4
Thanks. What are you shooting at in low light or dark conditions?

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I have multiple TLR-1 HLs, a couple X300s, and a TLR-7A. I prefer the TLR-1 HLs and use a pressure switch with them as there is zero manipulation turning them on/off other than a little pressure with my middle finger. The TLR-1 HL weighs 4.32oz and is 1000 lumens. I’ve never had an issue with a light being too bright, even indoors.