Help me build a moose/deer hunting arrow!

hadda

FNG
So I'm a weirdo with a 25" draw shooting a mathews monster xlr8 (360FPS IBO) @ approx 63#.
I've been using carbon express mayhem hunters @ 350 spine (on the high side of the recommended spine chart) cut to 24.625". Was shooting 100 gr heads, trying 150 gr now. I've had a hell of a time getting these to group well. Might just be me, but where's a good place to look for the ideal arrow weight, FOC, FPS and KE that I should be basing my arrow around? Thanks for any tips

MattB

WKR
Don't overthink it. Without looking at a chart, if the 100 gr. BH's group and the 150's don't you may be underspined with the additional weight upfront.

OP
H

hadda

FNG
Does you 100gr arrow setup group?

If so, why change?
No 100 gr seemed inconsistent. I was hoping to notice a pattern with higher FOC. My arrows are pretty stiff with a 350 spine and less than 25" arrow, but the xlr8 is a beast. So harsh.

where's a good place to look for the ideal arrow weight, FOC, FPS and KE that I should be basing my arrow around?
Ignore KE. For all practical purposes, KE is fixed based on your draw length, draw weight, and choice of bow. KE will increase slightly with increasing arrow weight, but not to a meaningful degree.

Ignore FOC. Build your arrows for a desired total weight and let FOC fall where it may.

There is no "ideal" arrow weight. Stay above 5 gr per pound of draw weight to avoid damaging the bow, but other than that it's your call where to land on the weight-speed spectrum. Heavier arrows tend to penetrate better. Lighter arrows have a flatter trajectory, which helps compensate for misjudged yardage. Whatever weight you choose, tune your bow to get perfect arrow flight.

Is your bow tuned? What’s a paper tear say? I’d start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H80Hunter

WKR
Download the ot2 Go spine app, or use the victory arrow selection guide on their website. I've never been steered wrong.

You need to start to rule out things. Seems like you are looking for a lot of answers at once. First, make sure you can shoot a bow. You say it might be you, arrow weight, foc, fps, and ke aren't making a bow inaccurate. So first, get the bow, or you shooting, then you can play with those things to find what you like.

What have you done to tune this bow?

You shouldn't be anywhere close to too stiff of an arrow, yes it might fall on the stiff side, but not too stiff.

For your criteria of species, broadhead will have a bigger factor than most anything else you listed.

nphunter

WKR
When you say heads are you talking broadheads or field tips? Field tips should group well regardless of tune as long as you are shooting consistently. Check or have someone check the tune of the bow, from what I've seen even poorly or untuned bows will shot pretty darn consistently with field tips. Most of the time I've seen erratic arrow flight it has been caused by some kind of contact or very inconsistent form.

I'd make sure there are no fletching contact issues and then check the tune, maybe have someone you know or someone at the shop shoot the bow to make sure it is the bow and not the Indian. I've seen a lot of bows come into a friend's shop because the owner thought there was some issue causing them to not shoot well, I've picked those same bows up and was able to stack arrows with them with no problem.

#1 Let someone else shoot the bow to make sure it's the bow.
#2 Check for fletching contact
#3 Check the tune on the bow, timing, sync, rest center shot and timing.

dtrkyman

WKR
Start close, say 10 yards with a large target that will not move, shoot an arrow with vanes at an arrow without and see what happens.